Albums people hate that you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Sep 21, 2018.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And thanks to Bowie recording China Girl Iggy was able to turn his life around with the money from that, resulting in the Blah Blah Blah restart and continued creativity. For such a calculating guy, Bowie clearly had a lot of love - for Iggy at least.

Man at C&A, The_Windmill and Dodoz like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agree with all of this. Oddly though, Iggy wrote most of the music on the awesome New Values. So it appears he doesn't need a foil, it just helps. By Soldier, you can truly hear he was mostly void of ideas.
    I do like most of Party. Great riffs, goofy lyrics.

Icethorn and Dodoz like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Different thread! :shh:

4. Oatsdad

Not in my experience. I don't know if it's hated, but it's not viewed well in general, I think.

I think it's because it's not a piece with the "Ziggy period" and it's also not part of the "Berlin period" - it's in that brief netherworld.

"Diamond Dogs" isn't Ziggy, but there's still enough Ziggy to make it palatable to fans. Also, "Station" isn't Berlin, but again, it pushes in that direction enough that it doesn't "offend".

"YA" is a different beast entirely. Zero sense of Ziggy, zero sense of the exploration that would start in 1976.

Also, the soul/dance emphasis likely turns off a lot of "rockists"...

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

I like the cover of "Across the Universe!" Probably helps that the original isn't one of my Fabs faves.

I think "YA" is a grower. Along with "Man Who Sold the World", it's a favorite that took me longer than any other Bowie albums to reach that status.

It really stood out among the 70s albums as I discussed above, and I think that makes it tough for some to embrace...

DTK likes this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Iggy was really lucky Bowie recorded that. Funnily enough, he did it again later on, recording "Bang Bang" from "Party" (a good 80s track IMO which could have been a minor hit) for "Never Let Me Down". Of course, it wasn't a hit, but with the reasonable album sales of "Never Let Me Down" it made Iggy some more money. Iggy can do as many commercials as he wants nowadays (and he did quite a few in France : for a telephone/internet provider, for a brand of beer, for the Galeries Lafayette...), I'm happy for him. He deserves his cushy old days! Great guy, from what most people say.

mooseman, Fullbug, Tristero and 3 others like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Iggy is one of hardest workers in rock n roll, and a template for so many inferior followers. He really, really paid his dues and deserves the accolades and any money he can come by, agreed. And yes, an intelligent and well read man, who had a lot of demons to conquer. Let him do all the commercials he wants!

D.B. and Dodoz like this.
  8. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I've seen it disliked far more than liked, especially in the music press.

It has it's fans, though.

9. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I changed my mind.
    Yoko Ono: Rising (1995). I just played it for the first time in some time. I absolutely f-ing LOVE it.

siveld and Jmac1979 like this.
  11. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Used to sing that to my daughter in the tub ... 'Shiny Happy Baby.'

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Have you heard that story Iggy told somewhere about going to visit his Dad while on tour with Bowie or something, David went along and Mr Osterberg took his hand and said thankyou, thankyou for saving my son's life....:cry::love:

Mother likes this.
  13. Daniel Leone

Daniel Leone Forum Resident

Roketz - One Way (1986)

This album takes the 2nd place of the most hated of all Rockets' Discography (the first is "Another Future" which I really like too), and while I understand people only like the Silver Years of Rockets (from 1976 to 1982), I just can't understand why no one is giving this record a chance.
    It's my favorite new romantic album and deserves a lot more than unjustified hate.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I don't know if it's just controversial or hated but I like Madonna's "American Life".

pwhytey and Jmac1979 like this.
  15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I saw the concerts in 1979 in which Dylan played these songs before the album
    was recorded, and then released. There is something truly special in the color
    of the sound, if you know what I mean, in this music. The band is onto something.

[​IMG]

The above album cover will later be replaced by inner sleeve art.
    Other side of the inner sleeve:

[​IMG]

Back album cover:

[​IMG]

16. Zeppelin fan

17. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

Goldfrapp’s “Head First” is often considered their worst album but I really love it

18. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

“The Who's It's Hard and Face Dances. Loved them both since the day they were released”

Big fan of The Who but never got on with these two.

Funny thing that album. You wouldn’t call it anything like a classic but it really is a lotta lotta fun!

Terrapin Station likes this.
  19. Zeppelin fan

20. Zeppelin fan

IORR is way better than GHS

Another Steve likes this.
  21. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Talking Heads - Naked
    An amazing album, woefully underrated

Icethorn, Library Eye, 51IS and 2 others like this.
  22. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I didn't get her until The B52s . In the 90s, I saw band with a female singer close, with one her songs that was played at Ramones speed.
    I didn't throw out my Ronstadt albums, but I understood what she was after hearing "Rock Lobster."

Library Eye likes this.
  23. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Yes - Talk. Like it, don't love it.

Very strong Rabin-Squire melodies. Some of the lyrics are weak and the drums and bass are literally phoned in.

carlwm likes this.
  24. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I quite like The Top by The Cure,not saying it's a classic but any album with Shake Dog Shake,The Caterpillar,Bird Mad Girl,Dressing up and the title track is worth a listen

25. WB395

WB395 New Member

The Breakfast Club Soundtrack

It's cheesy, but so is the movie. I like both of them.

carlwm likes this.