Albums people hate that you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Yes Extra Texture was killed on release and to this day gets mixed reviews. But after the initial disappointment (bought it in Sept 75), it has been a sneaky grower. By no means is this for non-fans, but I listen to this more than some of his “popular” albums. I guess because I am sad and moody more than I care to admit.

Jarleboy, tagomago, Rockerbox and 3 others like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Silver Convention's 1975 self-titled LP ?
    (iss'd in Netherlands as Save Me )

Rockerbox likes this.
  3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

One of my favorite actors as well . Loved his role in Unforgiven too. His son Jared Harris is my favorite actor these days. He was one of the leads in Chernobyl (hbo) and is supremely talented imo.

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

I think Ant Man Bee was on it?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Queen - Hot Space
    Led Zeppelin - Presence

are the first things that come to mind for me

Man at C&A and Rockerbox like this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Once I read Simon Leng’s book I understood and liked Extra Texture album better. Some of the songs go on a little long and are a little repetitive but Harrison was aping the style of the time. It is a decent album (except for His names is Legs)

Fabsmith likes this.
  7. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Paul McCartney-Press To Play......A buddy of mine and I discovered this in 1988 just after we graduated high school. We both LOVED this album and considered it proof that Paul was still a gifted songwriter and to this day I consider it a very sonically interesting album and love every song on it except for Move Over Busker.

Deep Purple-Slaves And Masters.....I LIKE it but don't LOVE it. I've always like Joe Lynn Turner. His "Rescue You" album from 1985 I think is a premier melodic rock LP of the 80s. There's 3 tracks I REALLY, REALLY like on this album and a couple more I like.....Honorable mention to Deep Purple's "Abandon" album. A really rocking, exciting album. I find it very inspired with the most energy of any Purple album since Come Taste The Band.

The Scorpions-Eye II Eye....After the first 2 tracks that have different ingredients in them than 'common' Scorpions it strikes me as being regular Scorpions music but I find to be more striking than usual. The heavier songs have a lot of punch and the more ballad-ish material has such beautiful bombast. It's really the only Scorpions album I've continued playing through the past 20 years....and I'm very fulfilled by it each time I listen to it.

Beach Boys-Summer In Paradise....I enjoy enough tracks to say I like it. I don't love it but, like M.I.U Album, that there's enough on the album that I feel vindicated that I bought it cheap. 4 or 5 tracks on it I enjoy just fine.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:eek: That's my favorite song on the album!

chickendinna and Rockerbox like this.
  9. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Tonight by David Bowie. It’s not a record that I love, but I certainly like it. Tumble and Twirl and Dancing with the Big Boys are two songs that I really enjoy.

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have no clue what others hate and if I like it then it would not matter what others thought in any way...

Jarleboy and HaileyMcComet like this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Was on what?

12. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Peter Frampton - I’m In You

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Rock of the Westies is not my favourite Elton but I like so much on the album. I'm not sure it was that hated - it released at number 1 - but I get what you mean. It's not regarded the same way Yellow Brick Road and Honky Chateau are.
    I think you nail the vibe of it. My understanding is that this album wasn't so much planned out as crammed in between everything Elton was doing. It sounds like it and it's a testament to Bernie and Elton that they could just knock this out.

Jarleboy, joy stinson and Fabsmith like this.
  14. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

career moves like that lead to your parents getting their gift house repossessed

Rockerbox and carrick doone like this.
  15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I just listened to an interview with Ringo and Rick Rubin on Youtube. He states his favourite band performance wise, early post Beatles, is this band. He said he thought he was playing really well and the band gelled together.

joy stinson and Mogens like this.
  16. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I’d possibly add Abba, huge sellers then but not considered serious music by the snobs. I’ve since re listened to their stuff which are great pop ballads and with good vocals and harmonies.

Jarleboy, carrick doone and carlwm like this.
  17. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Belinda Carlisle's first album of the 21st century "Voila" - her album of French pop and standards. As others have said "hate" is too far strong a world - even a word like "stink" might've been better but whatever, the OP must have his reasons... As for Voila, I doubt most people, even her fans, know the album exists in the first place! Though Belinda Carlisle singing in French might be a stretch regardless, at least in America. But it's the only Belinda album I own!

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  18. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

All of the Depeche Mode albums after Wilder left. And yes especially Exciter.

murphmanz likes this.
  19. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

Unusual Heat by Foreigner: A really good album that gets unfairly hated on sing Lou Gramm isn't on it.

Calling All Stations by Genesis: Not my favorite Genesis album, but overall good. Though it is a bit long.

The Final Cut
    by Pink Floyd: People parrot the "It sounds like a Roger Waters solo album" narrative without even listening to the bloody album. Anyone who would actually listen to it would easily notice it sounds much more Pink Floyd and much less Waters solo than people want to admit. It basically sounds like a streamlined version of The Wall.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All fine albums! :righton:

Jarleboy, joy stinson and Karate Chop like this.
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sally Can’t Dance
    St. Anger
    Byrdmaniax
    Atom Heart Mother

DTK and carlwm like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Byrdmaniax is a very nice listen.

Siegmund likes this.
  23. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I am listening to Press To Play right now. "It's getting dark outside".

Rockerbox likes this.
  24. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

This is the second biggest wavelength I can never ride on this site since I neither know nor care what everyone hates or what I am supposed to hate.

"White blanket covers the memory of all that used to be".

25. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Nobody hates Abba

murphmanz, NasuTek and Jarleboy like this.