Albums recorded at home ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

When Neil Young was living at his Broken Arrow ranch in NorCal, wouldn’t the studio there be considered a home studio?

2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

If an immensely successful recording artist builds a lavish home studio, is that really a home recording?

(To be fair, the OP says, 'recorded at home' so any such recording would qualify for this thread. And not all home studios are lavish anyway.)

3. drober

drober Well-Known Member

Bob Dylan's "Good as I Been to You" and "World Gone Wrong".

Recorded in his garage.

4. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

You can throw in most of The Mollusk, as well.

5. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

McCartney '70 is great Smiley Smile was recorded '67 in Brian's house

6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Look who's talking ! :biglaugh:
    Do your researches and prove me wrong mate ! Come on :)
    Otherwise, I leave you with your sweet illusions ;)

7. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not sure if I'm remembering right, but at time I can recall hearing that a lot (if not all) of this album was recorded in a band members house (maybe Warren's?)

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Pinback - Summer In Abaddon

Marinus likes this.
  9. laughingboy

laughingboy Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  10. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

Danish legend Kim Larsen recorded his last album secretly in his living room with his son and manager playing guitar & keyboards 3 months before he died.
    The album (called "Songs from the first floor") was released posthumously.

alexpop likes this.
  11. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

13. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

I might be wrong, but I think John Frusciante's curtains was done in his living room.

His video too:

14. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

John Mayer's last album: Sob Rock with all its 80s lush production and stuff. Had this song's vocal tracks recorded in his bedroom due to COVID. He loved the take so much he didn't want to take it off.... 16.18 he talks about it.

15. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

What about aspects of Tunnel of Love? Just thinking about the pic inside the album.

Surely Nebraska?

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Shoes - "Black Vinyl Shoes"

rockerreds likes this.
  17. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah. 2 sides of vinyl, with a cover, too.

18. Wasn't James Brown's -The Payback mostly recorded in his living room while he was lit on drugs?

19. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Does recorded at someone else's home count? Most of Radiohead's OK Computer was recorded at Jane Seymour's home.

20. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Phil Collins - Face Value
    All the demos were recorded at Old Croft, which is the name for Phil Collins' home in Shalford, Surrey. He recorded progressively as he wrote the songs. These home 8-track demos were transferred to 24-track at the Townhouse studio in London and the Village Recorder in L.A. Significant portions of the album are directly from the original demos that Phil made at home, with all the raw emotion he was experiencing while going through his divorce.

21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No - it was actually in his parents' back yard toolshed.

Also it wasn't a completely home recording. He bought a used professional 4-track machine from a studio that was upgrading to an 8-track setup. He recorded all the instrumental tracks on that 4-track in his parents' toolshed, then he brought his tapes into a professional studio, transferred them to 8-track and recorded all the vocals (lead/backing harmonies) onto the four empty tracks, and the finished tracks were mixed by/with a professional engineer in the studio where he recorded the vocals.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yep. He said he was partly inspired to do this by his occasional work as Brian Eno's studio drummer in the 70s, as Eno was the first person he ever saw bring in a home recorded tape, transfer it to the studio multitrack and overdub onto it. He also said in his experience (and that of a lot of his musician friends) its always difficult (if not impossible) to better the original demo in terms of feel/emotion/performance.

He also said it was nice in that by using his home demos as the basic tracks for the actual album, his album was suddenly half-finished, for the most part (apart from live drums to replace or augment the drum machine on the demos and final polished vocal takes in some cases) needing only the overdubs by other musicians playing the instruments that he couldn't play himself.

Here's his original home demo for 'In The Air Tonight' (officially released as a B-Side) which is the same basic version as the one on the album, prior to being overdubbed in a proper studio:

souldeep69 likes this.
  23. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Ok Computer was recorded in Jane Seymour's house.

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The Band’s second album was recorded in Sammy Davis Jr’s pool house. And let’s not forget The Basement Tapes.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  25. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

Every Frank Zappa studio album from 1980 on.

The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen was his custom home studio.