Albums recorded in QSound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progger58, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That's the process I was thinking of for the Rolling Stones' Flashpoint live album! How does it sound on that Deep Forest record? I'm not familiar with them

c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

One of the best sounding discs I have. :)

aphexj likes this.
  3. I'm guessing the Dangerous songs were remixed for their inclusion on HIStory and later compilations?

4. I believe that Michael Jackson had the Bad album mixed to support Holophonics, and a more recent example of an album recorded with binaural microphone placement was Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool (or so I've read)...

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

According to the credits on the page you quoted:
    Technician [Q-sound Consultants] – Bob Ezrin (tracks: 1 to 8), James Guthrie (tracks: 1 to 8)

Wild Times
    is track 10, so apparently not mixed in QSound.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    c-eling and ShardEnder like this.
  6. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet

c-eling likes this.
  7. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Fates Warning - Parallels

8. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Joe Cocker night calls,Roger Waters Amused to Death.

9. While I was aware of those credits, I've long since learned that album liner notes aren't always the most accurate of sources, so I thought it best to ask in case someone here could provide further information suggesting otherwise. Also...

Night Calls is yet another track boasting significant Jeff Lynne involvement* from roughly the same period as Wild Times, which ties in with something I'd once seen mentioned about him briefly experimenting with QSound in the early 1990s. However, it seems that neither of his songs was actually mixed to support the algorithm.

*Jeff "wrote" Night Calls by recycling the melody of After All, itself an instrumental evolution of Tears In Your Life - an outtake started in 1982 then finished 18 years later following some extensive reshuffling in Pro Tools! Supposedly, Joe Cocker didn't like the fact Jeff did everything himself, sending a completed track with instructions for the singer to merely replace the scratch vocal with his own lead take (from what I've been able to determine, he really should have concentrated any disappointment in the direction of their managers, who were the ones responsible for arranging this peculiar way of working).

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Shard, the Adam's song appears to have the mixing. I couldn't detect it on Lynne's. I remember buying this back in the 90's and being disappointed with the SQ on this track. - The only reason I bought it :laugh:

11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

About 20 of the original Clearmoutain Q Sound mixes (what he had completed before getting fired, I suppose) actually circualted on cassette back in the mid90s...

munjeet likes this.
  12. QSound - Wikipedia

As I recall these are MIXED using Q Sound not recorded. I don't know that you can record in the format.

marcb likes this.
  13. If you listen to it either way headphones or a small set of close speakers you'll notice it for the whole album.

14. While I wasn't sure about whether his contribution had been mixed to support QSound, there's a perfectly good reason why the overall quality of Jeff's Wild Times isn't as good as the rest of its parent album... He supposedly threw this together at "Posh Studios" (actually the room at Walsh Hall previously converted into a recording space) as a very late addition to the soundtrack after recently becoming good friends with Michael Kamen, who arranged the strings for Armchair Theatre the previous year and went on to help write this song, also orchestrating Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves itself. Around the same period, Jeff had started initial work on a planned second LP under his contract with Reprise, but a variety of issues led to the project being delayed throughout much of the 1990s, and there was little chance of him reconciling with Louis Clark, already then a full member of ELO Part II. By the time of Jeff's relocation to Los Angeles (where he completed what became Zoom under the newly-acquired ELO name at Bungalow Palace), Michael ruled himself out of any further collaborations after being diagnosed with MS, choosing to do less for other artists.

c-eling likes this.
  15. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I thought that Prefab Sprout's Andromeda Heights was recorded using Q sound, but it isn't in the list linked to above. Google tells me that some sort of pseudo surround sound tool was used in the album's recording, but doesn't identify it.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did they have to record in Dubly?

jhm likes this.
  17. From what I've read on the subject, QSound appears to be an algorithm applied during the mixing process rather than something that is captured at the recording stage (unlike binaural, where microphone placement is a crucial element that can't really be emulated later). For most games developed and released on Capcom's proprietary CP System II arcade board, which were often promoted as featuring QSound support, the same effect could even be reproduced in real time using sequenced tracks built up from samples, their console versions normally including remixes utilising the Red Book format that didn't always have equal results.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. I'm confused--maybe I missed the humor. I am a bit tired this morning as I was up with our dog (who was having seizures) most of the night. You didn't misspell Dolby right? If not, ha-ha.

19. Yeah that's what I recall as well when I was reading about it back in the day. The Q Sound website is still active although it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

ShardEnder likes this.
  20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Has any of the QSound releases been issued without it? I think even the CD singles from the albums even had the QSound on the tracks.

21. Not to the best of my knowledge. For example, I had the CD singles from Sting's Soul Cages because there were a couple of unreleased b-sides (before I learned that most of Sting's b-sides aren't quite as great as, side, XTC or Elvis Costello) and they all had it (some of the b-side recordings) as I recall ( I no longer have any of them). Not sure about Waters, etc. but if the b-sides for the CD singles were recorded and mixed at the same session, it's likely that they were also in Q Sound.

marcb and PTgraphics like this.
  22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There is a single listed there - Wilson Phillips "You're In Love" at the very bottom. It's a CD single, and the QSound is on the cassette single too.

23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea I have a Sting cd single or two and some Joe Cocker CD singles and others and while I had hoped the QSound would be left off them they sounded the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.