Albums that need remastering! Now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

MFSL SACD does the trick.

2. Spedinfargo

Spedinfargo Forum Resident

Baroness - Purple. I still haven't listened to that album in its entirety because it hurts my ears too much. Kind of a shame.

porl and Dorian75 like this.
  3. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

The DCC s/t sounds great for the debut, and The Soft Parade has a very nice hybrid SACD out by Analogue Productions. I like it better than the Audio Fidelity, which had its dynamics tampered with after Steve mastered it.

4. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Blu Spec CD2 (used 2006 japn remaster) will satisfy you.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

10 cc

6. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

+1,000,000,000,000

I've said it many times before. An excellent collection of songs with ATROCIOUS sound quality.

porl likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

When it's only good on a MFSL SACD, if that's true, then the most recent regular CD release needs improving.
    Expensive and out of print CDs (or SACDs) shouldn't even be listed here.

8. UglySickJoker

UglySickJoker Forum Resident

KISS - ‘Monster’ (2012)

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Admittedly not a big fan of the DCC. Really. Though I’m not much of na audiophile.

Chemically altered likes this.
  10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Deep Purple’s debut. Seriously it’s beyond awful. This is the only album I’ve ever heard where I prefer the mono mix. The worst sounding thing I’ve ever heard besides 2 Cream songs in stereo

303 Squadron likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

absolutely! ...life isn't cheap these days...I'd love her catalog reconditioned. : )

DesertHermit likes this.
  12. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Probably Testament's 80's/early 90's albums. Even the band can't stand the sound quality of them, which is why they re-recorded several of their 80's songs when Alex Skolnick rejoined the band.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no! GEEZ, NO. : )

Tom M and nick99nack like this.
  14. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

The Hüsker Dü albums released on SST (Metal Circus, Zen Arcade, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig) sound atrocious on CD. Unfortunately, I doubt Greg Ginn will ever release the tapes to Bob Mould to allow such a thing to happen.

Greenalishi, Rawkdude and porl like this.
  15. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

"This Time It's for Real" - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes. A remaster won't (and hasn't) helped this album much. A remix might.
    "A Turn of the Cards" - Renaissance

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Chemically altered and Taxman like this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's still up at regular price on MD. Plenty of people here liked the Blu Ray with Steven Wilson surround mix too.

klockwerk likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed on all counts!

nick99nack likes this.
  18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steven Wilson thanks you. ;) But seriously, do many of the multi tracks even exist?

klockwerk and Old Zorki II like this.
  19. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Dunno. But Ian Anderson has all of his ))

20. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Where/ what were the isolated tracks from ? Unless the isolated tracks came from the original "mono master tapes" they may not be all that reliable in sound quality, even when isolated. By that I mean the sound quality as opposed to just hearing it.

Considering the number of special effects and numerous instruments added to the band's standard instruments, the album was recorded on only "four tracks" & thus the drums are buried on most of the song, even on the 2009 remastering.

No matter what Ringo plays on the drums in the buried parts I still want to hear it. Ringo's drum kit had a heavy sound (as described by George Martin & Jim Keltner). So whatever he played, the heavy sound of his drum kit alone would add more "dynamics" to the song overall.
    Hence the reason I've been claiming for a remix of MMT for a few years now.

An example of what I'm trying to explain as clearly as I can "may" happen if The BeaTles, a.k.a. The White Album has indeed been remixed from the mono tapes for it's 50th anniversary later this year.

Savoy Truffle has a similar lack of drum clarity on most of the song albeit it was recorded on eight tracks as opposed to the four tracks for I am the Walrus.

On Savoy Truffle the instrumentation sound as if it is layered from front to back. The horns are in the background and subdued (as per George Harrison's request to Geoff Emerick) & the drums sound as if they're either mixed in with the horns or worse, as if they are behind the horns.

The heavy sound which Ringo's kit emitted is important to the overall dynamic sound of this song also IMHO and what or how Ringo played which is sometimes barely discernible will add a lot to the quality of the song if a remix makes them more prominent, IMHO again.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The entire Zeppelin catalog in AAA vinyl... all of it... from the self-titled debut through How The West Was Won (and whatever goodies he has lined up for the 50th anniversary and beyond).

Not that it will ever happen in a month of Sundays, but I can dream.

Feck it then... I'll settle for a AAA vinyl reissue of the original 1976 The Song Remains the Same soundtrack album... c'mon Jimmy, do it for Record Store Day... you know you want to...

22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

How the West Was Won was just released on quality vinyl and IMHO sounds great.
    Much better job Then studio catalog

23. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Remastering the debut isn't going to help that it was poorly recorded. The rest of the albums sound fine. The reason they re-recorded them was because they wanted to update the way they were being played.

I'd like for Flotsam and Jetsam's "No Place For Disgrace" to get remastered and lose that shrill top end that just pierces through everything.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

As I understand it the Dynamic Range was eliminated in the mixing. The Vinyl while not loud, like the crummy CD, has virtually no range. Remix is needed but apparently and sadly, this is how Springsteen wants it to sound.

25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

They don't really sound that fine, though. They could definitely use a second look. And they updated them for more than one reason. Maybe not all the members felt the same way, but Chuck Billy thought the sound was awful on the early records.

TESTAMENT Frontman: 'We're Not Going To Take Huge Gaps Between Records Anymore'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.