Albums where two countries' versions should have been combined for CD release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dlokazip, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient Thread Starter

As we all know, record companies in different countries often created different variations of an album to, theoretically, better appeal to their own market.

In the CD era, efforts were often made to standardize catalogs by selecting one country's version of an album and making it the international version for all CDs, either for the original CD release or for remasters.

Yet, there were some albums that could have benefited from simply merging the two versions together.

For example:

The American version of AC/DC's Let There Be Rock omitted the song "Crabsody In Blue", which is on the Australian and European versions, and added "Problem Child". In the CD era, the American version was made the standard, even though "Problem Child" is on the Dirty Deeds album and "Crabsody In Blue" was not on any album. While it would have made more sense to have used the European version, both songs could have been included on the CD without much effort. It simply would have become a nine song album.

Except for the UK, Genesis' Three Side Live album really had three live sides. The fourth side consisted of studio tracks that were released in the UK on the 3X3 EP or on b-sides. In the UK, the fourth side consisted of live tracks (which made the title nonsensical, but I digress). When the first CDs came out, they were congruent with each country's LP version. However, when the album was remastered in 1994, all CDs reverted to the UK version. Again, debates could be had about which version is "correct", but wouldn't have it relatively easy for both sides four two have been included? Basically, the UK version with the studio tracks tacked on to the end.

What other albums could have been combined in this fashion?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Lightning Seeds-Cloudcuckooland, 1990
    US LP 10 + Fools
    UK LP 10 - Omits Fools
    US Compact Disc 10 + Fools and Frenzy
    UK Compact Disc 10 + God Help Them
    Different versions of All I Want are used between the two CD release's as well.
    Could be due to rights issue's at the time of release.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    LivingForever and SinnerSaint like this.
  3. SteveMac

SteveMac Forum Resident

Neil Finn's "One All" and "One Nil".
    From Wikipedia: "The [One Nil] album was released in the United States fourteen months after its initial New Zealand, United Kingdom and Australian release with the altered title One All and also contained an altered track listing, featuring four remixed songs and added the songs "Lullaby Requiem" and "Human Kindness", replacing "Elastic Heart" and "Don't Ask Why"."

primejive and SinnerSaint like this.
  4. c-eling

Slightly off-topic: US fans of New Order got shafted on Brotherhood for compact disc :laugh:
    UK Included State of The Nation
    Canada Included State of The Nation and Bizarre Love Triangle (Shep Pettibone 12 inch)

negative1, dlokazip and SinnerSaint like this.
  5. Milkweed

Milkweed Forum Resident

The Clash (debut):

UK version + songs on US version appended as bonus tracks.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

There was seemingly a period in the late 80's into the 90's that many versions of CDs released in Japan usually had 1 or 2 bonus tracks.

Generally, those tracks eventually appeared in the U.S. as "B-Sides" on CD5s of the singles, cassingles, 12" singles, or the 7" 45s.

Any reissues of those albums should automatically include those stray tracks.

altaeria, Dondy and GerryO like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Aftermath - The Rolling Stones

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia had room for everything.

and just to be a jerk, The US Rubber Soul combined with the UK woulda been nice.

9. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

They did with Nick Lowe's Labour Of Lust.
    And it was good.

Buggyhair likes this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Problem Child never should've been included on any cd version of Let There Be Rock. While it made sense back in 1977 (Dirty Deeds wasn't released in the US yet, so it replaced the 'offensive' Crabsody In Blue), it's a totally cynical, lazy move to keep reissuing it like that.
    Worst of all, PC is editted on LTBR.

squittolo, Man at C&A and dlokazip like this.
  11. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Procol Harum, Pink Floyd and Traffic all released their debuts in 1967, and if I'm not mistaken, all of them at some point or another have been re-issued with a combination of all the tracks on both the US and UK versions.

12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

The original Lingasong double-LP Beatles Live! at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962 was released differently for Germany/UK and the USA.

The US version replaced the UK's "I Saw Her Standing There", "Twist and Shout", "Reminiscing", and "Ask Me Why" with Introduction/"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)", "Where Have You Been (All My Life)", "Till There Was You", "Sheila".

I don't know what happened when it was combined for a CD, apart from the Apple lawsuit.

[​IMG]

steveharris likes this.
  13. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

They did this with the US CD release of Are You Experienced when they attached the Europe-only tracks as bonus tracks,

14. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The 60s Rolling Stones albums should also be treated that way: leave the UK sequencing intact and add the US tracks, alongside with some essential non-album tracks. Leave a 10 second gap before the bonuses, so that the "purists" can stop the player:cool:.

qwerty likes this.
  15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Would have saved so many headaches if Island had simply added the three unauthorised Extended tracks from the first Island release of The B-52's Mesopotamia to its CD release as bonus tracks. Still not on CD.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I always thought there should be a deluxe edition of the Clash (s/t debut) with the UK version on one CD and the US version on the other. Or...if all the tracks from the era fit on a single CD that would work perfect!

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The US version though is all over the place with dates, it features material from three different years, so if you had a CD from that era then it wouldn't include many of the US tracks.

I had the US version at the time, I was very young and wanted the singles, but it is more of a compilation than a US version of the debut album. Of all the US butcher jobs over the years this one is the most messed up.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

They also did it the other way around for the UK remaster.

10CC's Ten Out Of 10 has the US-only album tracks appended to the UK remaster.

As for Traffic's Mr. Fantasy album, the best way to acquire this is the remastered US Heaven Is In Your Mind-version of the album. Not only does it flow better, you also get ALL related bonus tracks of the period and the mastering is supposed to be better than the UK remaster for the debut.

stef1205 likes this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

ETBTG

lv70smusic likes this.
  20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Just came up with another one:

The Cure's Three Imaginary Boys with the extra Boys Don't Cry-tracks appended. However, today's jaded society has made sure such a thing can never happen.

21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I will list some of the different albums that i know of:
    --------------------------
    Thomas Dolby - golden age of wireless

[​IMG]

First UK version:
    ---------------------
    Tracklist Show Credits
    A1 Flying North 3:50
    A2 Commercial Breakup 4:15
    A3 Weightless 3:45
    A4 Europa And The Pirate Twins 3:18
    A5 Windpower 4:20
    B1 The Wreck Of The Fairchild 3:30
    B2 Airwaves 5:12
    B3 Radio Silence 3:43
    B4 Cloudburst At Shingle Street 5:45

Later pressings differ from this one in a variety of ways, but most notably:
    First US issue (but second issue overall; on Harvest):
    Drops The Wreck Of The Fairchild, but adds Urges and Leipzig which were taken from an early single. Replaces the full-length Airwaves found here with a 7" version, and includes a different version of Radio Silence.

[​IMG]

A1 Europa And The Pirate Twins 3:18
    A2 Flying North 3:50
    A3 Weightless 3:45
    A4 Leipzig 3:52
    A5 Windpower 4:20
    B1 Commercial Breakup 4:15
    B2 Urges 3:39
    B3 Airwaves 3:35
    B4 Radio Silence 4:32
    B5 Cloudburst At Shingle Street 5:45

A later US version then dropped Urges and Leipzig and instead added She Blinded Me With Science and One Of Our Submarines. Still later pressings switch off between the long and short versions of She Blinded... and Airwaves, and the rock (long) vs. synth (short) versions of Radio Silence.

[​IMG]

A1 She Blinded Me With Science 5:09
    A2 Radio Silence 4:32
    A3 Airwaves 3:35
    A4 Flying North 3:50
    A5 Weightless 3:45
    B1 Europa And The Pirate Twins 3:18
    B2 Windpower 3:58
    B3 Commercial Breakup 4:15
    B4 One Of Our Submarines 5:11
    B5 Cloudburst At Shingle Street 5:45

later

22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

duran duran - duran duran 1st album:
    -------------------------------------------------
    First UK release :

[​IMG]

Tracklist
    A1 Girls On Film
    A2 Planet Earth
    A3 Anyone Out There
    A4 To The Shore
    A5 Careless Memories
    B1 Night Boat
    B2 Sound Of Thunder
    B3 Friends Of Mine
    B4 Tel Aviv

The first US release, leaves off 'To the shore',
    and adds planet earth (night version) instead of the
    normal UK album version:
    [​IMG]

Tracklist
    A1 Planet Earth 6:20
    A2 Girls On Film 3:30
    A3 Is There Anyone Out There 4:02
    A4 Careless Memories 3:53
    B1 (Waiting For The) Night Boat 5:25
    B2 Sound Of Thunder 4:06
    B3 Friends Of Mine 5:42
    B4 Tel Aviv 5:16

The US reissue, leaves off 'to the shore', but adds 'is there something i should know',
    also, the nomal album version of planet earth replaces the night version:

[​IMG]

A1 Girls On Film 3:30
    A2 Planet Earth 3:58
    A3 Is There Anyone Out There 4:02
    A4 Careless Memories 3:53
    A5 Is There Something I Should Know? 4:07
    B1 (Waiting For The) Night Boat 5:25
    B2 Sound Of Thunder 4:06
    B3 Friends Of Mine 5:42
    B4 Tel Aviv 5:16

later

altaeria, squittolo and c-eling like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It was a bummer that even the versions of Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly even had different track listings in the U.S and U.K.

I also thought it was strange in 1975 that the U.K. version of Metamorphosis also had 2 extra tracks not on the U.S. version.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

RUBBER SOUL
    The US had the perfect opener with "I've Just Seen A Face". Take "Drive My Car" and put it where "What Goes On" (the only bad song on the album) is. Put "It's Only Love" (from the US album) right after that and otherwise use the rest of the UK album.

majorlance likes this.
  25. c-eling

US Midnight Oil-Diesel and Dust, 87/88 (Gunbarrel Highway)
    So I didn't have to import the damn thing just for one tune

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.