Albums with instructions for playback (i.e. This Record Should Be Played Loud)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinb

martinb Senior Member

On all Pulp albums;

" N.B Please do not read the words while listening to the recordings"

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

BTW...I believe Let It Bleed was the first album with the play it loud instruction (Nov. '69). Does anyone see anything earlier than that?

3. jtek

jtek Member

Jeff Beck Truth, "Shapes of things- Rearranged, but the same Yardbirds hit. This must be played at maxium volume whatever phonograph you use. Makes very appropiate background music if you have the Vicar over for tea."

Fields&Lanes, keifspoon, CBC and 2 others like this.
  4. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

5. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

The "Cold Turkey" 45 was like that also...

[​IMG]

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Live at Leeds had something like "Crackling noises O.K.do not correct."

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hot Tuna-America's Choice

Warning:
    This Album
    To Be Played
    At Full
    Volume
    For Maximum
    Effect

8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

So far most advisories have been "PLAY LOUD". Maybe rock just ain't that complicated ;).

BZync likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

jon9091, 4140 and profholt82 like this.
  10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Don't have it in front of me, but the Grand Funk WAAB album have a "suggestion" to play loud/maximum volume?

jon9091 and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems like Closer to Home did, too. If it didn't, it should have :D

jon9091 likes this.
  12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland

Between tracks 8 and 9 there is a track called Silence (0.30) with the description:

A suitable place for those with tired ears to pause and resume listening later

Excellent advice - 75 minutes of music needs a break in the middle.

nsmith1002 and jon9091 like this.
  13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Bob Dylan Live 1966

Instructions are given from the stage. ;)

14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It smokes! Whatever phonograph you use.

15. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Yes! "Lyrical Gangbang" was the track. Great use of the drums from "When the Levee Breaks", gives it that real heavy sound.

profholt82 likes this.
  16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Ha, I forgot about that. I had that CD back in high school, lent it to a guy and never got it back. A sad story that has been unfortunately repeated with many other classic albums over the years.

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Insert with engineer Steven Desper's instructions on how to listen to The Flame LP in quad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Well an explanation....does that count?

The Monkees
    Magnolia Sims

Recorded as a low-fi song with deliberate surface noise and skipping as if it came from a 78 RPM record. On the stereo mix, this track is heard only on the left channel.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Small Faces - Ogdens'... was May 1968 :)

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    innercircle and jon9091 like this.
  20. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

That's a good one. During Brian Eno's ambient series, he talked some about his pseudo-surround ambient recovery system, and then detailed it some on the great Ambient 4: On Land, with Michael Brook, Jon Hassell, Bill Laswell and Daniel Lanois (among others). From the notes:

I regard this music as environmental: to be experienced from the inside. Accordingly I considered releasing a quadrophonic version of it, an idea I abandoned upon realising that very few people (myself included) own quadrophonic systems.

However, I have for many years been using a three-way speaker system that is both simple to install and inexpensive, and which seems to work very well on any music with a broad stereo image. The effect is subtle but definite - it opens out the music and seems to enlarge the room acoustically.

In addition to a normal stereo hifi system all that is required is one extra loudspeaker and some speaker cable. The usage of this speaker in the three-way system is such that it will not be required to handle very low frequencies: therefore a small or "mini" speaker will be adequate.

As shown in the diagram, the two terminals of the new speaker are connected to the two positive (red) speaker connectors on the amplifier. This speaker is located somewhere behind the listener - at the apex of a triangle whose base is formed by the original loudspeaker set-up. One of the unexpected benefits of this system is an increase in the usable listening area - almost any point in the room will yield good (although not necessarily "accurate") stereo sound.

I arrived at this system by accident, and I don't really know why it works. What seems to happen is that the third speaker reproduces any sound that is not common to both sides of the stereo - i.e., everything that is not located centrally in the stereo image - and I assume that this is because the common information is put out of phase with itself and cancels out.

More technically, the lower the impedance of the added speaker, the louder it will sound. If it is found to be too loud (although this rarely seems to happen), you can either insert a potentiometer (6-12 ohms, at least 10 watts) into the circuit, or move the speaker further away.

Ambient Sound System Diagram
    http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/enoass.gif

jfeldt, 4140 and Mal like this.
  21. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Apart from all the Decca mono records which tell me they can be played on stereo equipment. Pete Shelley: XL.1 has a lot of "instructions" as the final track is ZX Spectrum Code

"COMPUTER PROGRAMME INSTRUCTIONS
    L.P.
    The Computer Programme on Side 2 suits
    the ZX Spectrum Home Computer.
    Transfer the programme to your computer
    cassette player or cassette.
    Start programme in sync with the first track
    of the L.P.
    NOTES
    1. for ZX Spectrum type load " " code.

LivingForever and Mal like this.
  22. "Please listen in the dark"

The Beach Boys - Mount Vernon And Fairway (A Fairy Tale)

Michael P, jon9091 and Mal like this.
  23. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Julian Cope's Skellington LP has ' PLAY THIS RECORD LOUD AS HELL' on the spine (or something similar, I can't remember exactly)

24. 4140

4140 Well-Known Member

I really want to try this now.

25. 4140

4140 Well-Known Member

I remember In Utero having recommended treble and bass settings. I seem to recall the treble being really cranked. That Albini.

Fullbug and james like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.