Albums with songs not typical of the single from it

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Don McLean-American Pie. While the title track a little bit more folk-rock than folk-pop, the rest of the album, generally speaking, is more folk-pop than folk-rock, and the folk-pop includes the followup hit, Vincent, which is my personal favorite Don McLean hit.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Beatles' Revolver

Can you possibly come up with a more atypical single than "Eleanor Rigby" b/w "Yellow Submarine"?

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Led Zeppelin - Dy'er Maker - Houses of the Holy

4. Dandy Warhols:

Bohemian Like You
    Get Off

The rest of "13 Tales From Urban Bohemia" sounds nothing like those two... best discription I can come up with is "wierd".

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Turning Japannese is very untypical of the Vapors debut album release.Probably however the most unrepresentative single release from an album was "hocus pocus" from the album Moving Waves by the art rock group Focus. Yodeling and hard rock guitar when the rest of the album is very soothing and mellow progressive sounds with a heavy classical/jazz orientation.

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Mmmh.. how about the Wish album by The Cure, with that 'Friday, I'm In Love' single? The rest of the CD is a completely different trip.

Which reminds me, it wasn't half bad. I'm taking it with me to work tomorrow. :)

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In college I had a friend who was really into the top 40 music of the day (mid 80s). He really liked George Harrson's "Got My Mind Set on You". I tried to warn him the rest of the album did not sound similar, but he bought it anyway and was quite disappointed.

8. GaryW

GaryW New Member

"21st Century Schizoid Man" - nothing else on " In the Court...." sounds like it is from the same band, much less lp.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I remember buying an Elvin Bishop album on the strength of its single Fooled Around and Fell In Love.

The rest of the album sounded completely different.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Pretenders-Brass in Pocket.
    A very good pop single from a great rockin' LP.

Joe L.

11. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

While I thoroughly enjoy this album, if you bought Tull's Minstrel In The Gallery thinking the rest was gonna sound like the hard rockin' title track, you where sadly mistaken if not even disappointed.

12. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Monkees-Daydream Believer-The Birds, the Bees... , because it was from the sessions for Pisces, Aquarius. The Birds, Bees songs were a lot more extreme, from Davy's ballads to Mike and Micky's unconventional indulgences.

Turtles-You Don't Have To Walk in The Rain-Turtle Soup.

Imaginary conversation between the band and White Whale Records, which explains my choice:

WW: Give us another Happy Together!
    T: We just put together the best and most sophisticated rock album we ever recorded, produced by the great Ray Davies of the Kinks. We have to advance, like our heroes the Beatles.
    T: We did just that with Elenore, from Battle of the Bands, and you got two big hits off that album, Elenore and You Showed Me. Why are you trying to label us with the Happy Together label forever?
    T (with a collective sigh): Oh, all right, damnit!

13. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

Do you remember Filter's album Title Of Record that had the track "Take A Picture"?:D I can only imagine their reaction when the first seconds of track 2 started.:p

14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Ambrosia - Biggest Part Of Me/You're The only woman - Both came from the album Nine-Eighty (?) and I don't believe the rest of the album sounded like those two songs.

15. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

One of the more famous examples of this is from one of my favorite albums, Pixies' "Doolittle." I lot of people bought that album for "Here Comes Your Man," and a lot of people were shocked when it turned out to be pretty manic post-punk, instead of the radio-friendly, almost folky sound of the single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.