Albums you bought for one song and it turns out to be the only song you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jc1303, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Actually their take on "The Midnight Hour" was pretty good too.

2. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I can go one better on this, I bought Who Can You Trust? by Morcheeba based on the single 'Tape Loop' only to find that the single version was a fairly drastic remix. So I bought an album for one song, didn't like anything else and it didn't even contain the one song. I feel like it had a hype sticker saying it featured the single too - technically true, but..

Since that was in the days where I could only afford a new album every couple of weeks and you'd maybe get like £3 back trading a new release in it was a real stinger.

timind likes this.
  3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

It may also be that I just haven’t gotten it yet. I’m like that sometimes. I hear a great album like Pet Sounds or Forever Changes and maybe only like 1 or 2 songs until I eventually realize that the others are great too. I’ll have to try listening to it again sometime!

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Great question...too many to mention,and it can be a downer too,you figure-so an so made this so it must be cool...until you finished playing it,and you sit there thinking-what the f--k!!!

5. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

These are a few of the albums that come to mind for me that I bought for one song and liked nothing else I heard on the album:

Sheryl Crow, The Globe Sessions: “My Favorite Mistake”
    Megadeth, Risk: “Crush ‘Em”
    Incubus, Light Grenades: “Dig”
    The Cure, 4:13 Dream: “Underneath the Stars”
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Echo: "Room at the Top"

I know there have been others, but these are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

This

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got Outkast's "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" due to "Hey Ya".

I kinda liked some of the other Andre songs, but 15 years later, I honestly can't remember any of them. I never really took to the album.

I'm not sure I ever played the Big Boi disc! :hide:

JDeanB likes this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This was my experience with the Get The Knack album back in 1980. I loved My Sharona...the energy, the infectuous rhythmic pattern with a somewhat dopey vocal melody that worked great with the incredibly simple but effective riff...just a great record, I thought...and I expected similar from the album which was selling like crazy at the time. So I bought it, I played it and angrily took it to the nearest garbage pail (totally true sequence of events).

9. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

12/8 Blues (All The Same) is a fab song!!

10. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I actually love side one of that album. Apart from “My Sharona,” I find side two to be a dud. I might be the only person on Earth who prefers their second album ‘...But the Little Girls Understand.’

Chew and DK Pete like this.
  11. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I probably did this a few times in the later ‘90s. Eve 6’s album that featured “Inside Out” comes to mind.

12. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Silver Condor - Holding On (Barely)

13. Fischman

Donnie Iris - Ah Leah

14. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I know the song has gotten knocks over the decade, but Chuck Mangione’s Feels So Good was, and still is, an all-time favorite song of mine.

In one of those bizarre, useless bits of trivia we store in our heads, I remember first hearing this at Sea World in southern California... by the orca tank.

So, obviously (says my young mind) I gotta have the album as it must be equally as great. Turns out, I would have been happy with just the single. Still the only Mangione song I own.

15. Fischman

Good one. I liked Theme From Side Street and The XIth Commandment, but neither were nearly as good as the big hit and the rest was pretty much throwaway.

While FSG is easily Mangione's best song, he actually had better overall albums.

JakeKlas likes this.
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For "Bad Reputation":

[​IMG]

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The curse of Elvis Costello albums since Punch The Clock.

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Many! But at 1990s prices, it was still worth it!

19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

White Town - Women in Technology (for "Your Woman")

The only track that has a vaguely funky feel to it. I remember the rest of the album being a bit more poppy and low-fi synth sounding, which was not my bag at the time.

20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For "Sweet Louisiana Sound":

[​IMG]

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For "Closer to Free":

[​IMG]

timind likes this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For "Hanginaround":

[​IMG]

timind likes this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

The Killer's - Sam's Town. Bought the album for the single Read My Mind which can give this 65-year-old guy goose bumps. Nothing else on the album grabbed me, but to be fair, I haven't really tried to get the rest of the album.

24. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I too, prefer "...But The Little Girls Understand" to "Get The Knack" (so you are not alone), but I don't think I would have cared for it nearly as much if "GtK" hadn't come out first. I played both albums non stop back in the day. "Hold On Tight And Don't Let Go" is the best "under 2 minute" pop song ever in my mind.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  25. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Bought the Labi Siffre album Remember My Song, based on the 1st track "I Got The..." which is an absolutely thoroughly genius track! Written, performed, produced, it has it all. I remember the rest of the album did seem semi-interesting/intriguing, but it all just came off to me as a 3rd rate Elton John ripoff (which sounds harsh as I type this out, but that's how it felt to me.) None of it felt in line with that 1 track.
    Anywho, here's the tune. Famously sampled by Eminem/Dr Dre in their tune My Name Is (that bit starts at 2:30)

Jarleboy and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.