Albums you would erase from a discography?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, May 14, 2022.

1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

If you have hearing issues, especially sensitivity to sound, I can surely understand why you would say that.
    With all due respect, I would like to present another experience about the album.
    I recently purchased a copy of MMM. I had saved up for an excellent copy and watched for one for a number of years. Last month, I was able to make it happen. A couple of weeks ago, I listened to the entire album once, one side at a time. I have had hyperacusis and very loud tinnitus since September, 1993. Each side of that album, played at a low volume, was hugely challenging to my hearing- at time rather painful- even at a low volume. Those sudden high squeals of feedback were brutal. After each side, my already loud tinnitus was elevated even more than normal for the rest of the day and into the next. After my ears settled down, I moved on to the next side.

Well, by now you may have assumed that I'm either a masochism, giving you a load of b.s., or am crazy. But the truth of the matter is, after reading about this album for many years, I really wanted to experience this album for myself and draw my own conclusions. My final analysis is that it is an amazing work. I understand many people hate it, and I would not argue withe them. That's their right and prerogative. But I honestly found it to be an amazing- though painful- experience. If I had healthy hearing, I would revisit this album from time to time. As it is, I'm good for maybe one more go.
    But not this year!

2. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

Here’s someone else’s experience:
    The Book of Seth: Lou Reed — Metal Machine Music
    One day I’ll get brave and attempt it one sitting. Maybe.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

In hindsight, he really should have put this one off until his voice got better.

4. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

All of his after Material World.

joy stinson likes this.
  5. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Wonder why. They were the same musicians who write all of the other Doors albums except obviously some of the lyrics.

6. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Well, yeah, another mostly disparaging MMM" review. There are pile of them. Like I said, that is a prerogative and viewpoint for many that I won't argue with.
    But not all reviews have be negative. Here's one that offers the flip side of the coin:
    Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music
    I particularly like the last line of this article.
    "If you have the vinyl, you can continue to listen to MMM as long as you like, that one bit of sound spinning round and round forever, it's beautiful, and it’s been playing for about 12 minutes as I write this now."
    If you do take the time to do the whole thing in one sitting, it would be interesting to read about your experience!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

I almost agree, and I would even include Material World. Even though most of his solo albums (1970s) hold some nice nostalgia for me, nothing really comes close to All Things Must Pass artistically. It is miles above the rest.

8. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Judas Priest
    Jugulator (1997)
    Demolition (2001)
    Nostradamus (2008)

Scorpions

every album from the 1996 - 2007 period
    Return to Forever (2015)

AC/DC

Ballbreaker (1995)
    Stiff Upper Lip (2000)
    Rock or Bust (2014)

Metallica
    St. Anger (2003)

Pink Floyd

The Endless River (2014)

Marillion

the entire Hogarth era snoozefest except for Seasons End (a really good album) and Afraid of Sunlight (one great song on this one)

King Crimson

every studio album since 1981

9. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

The chemistry was changed from 4 minds to 3 but yeah you'd think the 3 piece songs would have been more successful since Robbie wrote a some of their good songs/lyrics also

Boom Operator and Fullbug like this.
  10. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

This is a pretty solid list of albums that should be deleted.

Though not an album, I'd add "Hey, Hey Rise Up" to the Pink Floyd deletion list as well.

11. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I can't agree. Not only because it supports a noble cause (a brave nation defending itself against a horde of savage murderers and rapists), but also because I like the song very much.

12. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

Ok

Millstone50 likes this.
  13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Everything pre-Van Hagar

14. zen

zen Senior Member

Any Herb Alpert Tijuana Brass LP
    post - The Beat of the Brass.
    [​IMG]

15. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

ELP -- Love Beach. If that one never happened, their enduring legacy could have been so much more.

Fullbug and MrSka57 like this.
  16. normanbterrier

normanbterrier Forum Resident

This times 1000. Not to get too heavy (maaaaan) - and I know this is just a light-hearted thread on a light-hearted music discussion site - but books have been written on the growing impulse in modern America towards "I don't like x and therefore x should not exist." The first half of the statement is fine, the second is dangerous (and growing).

Feel free to post your "lighten up, Francis" memes in response. ;)

ARK, Fullbug, joy stinson and 2 others like this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm glad it happened. Lots of enjoyable tunes. In the end, legacy score keeping is meaningless.

sound chaser, Folknik, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  18. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

And IN THE HOT SEAT, too.:cheers:

sound chaser and Mikewest like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Islands by The Band

sectofone, Fullbug and maui jim like this.
  20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Budgie- Deliver Us From Evil.

I can appreciate that Burke Shelley wanted to create an album with an anti-war theme, but it was too much of a departure from their previous albums. Adding keyboards to their sound certainly didn't help.

OnkelHank and Fullbug like this.
  21. Martin85

Martin85 Forum Resident

Spector's LIB.

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Really? And after 50 yrs, you would take Naked or even worse the Johns mix? Those two proved Phil did them right for their last lp imo

Ken, Dyland, The Trinity and 4 others like this.
  23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

No way. He gets a lot of stick for Lady in Red, but some of his prog-ish albums from the 70's are pretty good.

reapers, Folknik, CheshireCat and 4 others like this.
  24. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

McCartney 3, I'm sure he could of done so much better if he had a different direction, but he obviously enjoys his current direction!

25. StunnedAndRotund

StunnedAndRotund Forum Resident

NY Reactor. I enjoyed half the songs but wish I'd never heard the other half

Parakeeper likes this.