Alex Chilton - post-Big Star solo work

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew J, Oct 17, 2020.

1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I liked A Man Called Destruction.

Andrew J and ralphb like this.
  2. vamborules

3. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Like Flies on Sherbert is totally brilliant. I don't care what anybody says.

4. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I really like Flies. It sounds like a prototype for messy 80s and 90s alt rock.

If I didn't know better I'd think this was some 90s alternative band.

trumpet sounds, linklinc, DTK and 2 others like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I was there, and I loved every minute of it. BUT....This happened downstairs and I believe that upstairs at the very same time. Link Wray was playing what would be his last gig.

Also at this show, Barrence WHitfield did a turn as MC, and was cosxed into singing "Mama Get the Hammer (There's a Fly on Baby's Head"). After which he asked, "Did that make me M.C. Hammer"?

DISKOJOE, linklinc and stepeanut like this.
  6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I certainly saw all of the Brenton/Chilton set, and most of Link Wray. It is all a bit of a blur, and there was plenty of alcohol involved, but I remember that much.

Were you in town for Jazz Fest? I lived in the nearby Broadmoor neighbourhood at the time, so I knew Rock ’n’ Bowl well, and had gone down with my musician friend/neighbour James Hall.

According to Rolling Stone, Link Wray gave his last performance in Glendale, CA, in July 2005. So, Ponderosa Stomp wasn’t his last gig, despite some press to that effect.

bRETT likes this.
  7. vamborules

[​IMG]

Alex at CBGB - photo by Gary Green

8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Can anyone speak to whether the version of BACH'S BOTTOM on spotify, a 2010 copyright to Razor and Tie so I guess a Razor and Tie cd reissue, is significantly remixed or revised from original LP? Now it could all be bad memory and an LP I listened to most as a cassette dub from my big bro like 35 years ago or more, but it sounds VERY different in sound quality, mix, etc to what I think I remember.

Andrew J likes this.
  9. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

I think it was a great book about someone who was more interesting than charming, successful, or likeable (especially considering how well it tracks Chilton's 70s-80s nomadism.) They can't all be Lennon bios.

10. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

I think that's one with the bad overdubs, IIRC. Take Me Home and Make Me Like It from 2017 is a later release of the same sessions but I don't recall if it's alternate takes or just Bach's Bottom minus the overdubs.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Speaking of Alex and Brenton Wood -

12. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sharing this link with you. A great assortment of photography of Pat Reiner - Memphis music scene in 70s. There is a great one with Cybil Shepherd and Jim Dickinson

Memphis in the Meantime

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  13. These are cool photos. I like the fact they are black and white. It kind of adds to the timelessness of it all.
    You know, I really like the music from this scene, but I still just don't get the yard-art thing. And why did Alex need a bodyguard?

Can't seem to stop listening to The Oogum Boogum song. Beach music in Memphis!

14. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

fantastic , that Bryan Gregory photo is amazing , really good looking guy actually , who would have thought :)

Andrew J likes this.
  15. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

16. Andrew J

LOL, according to the biography it was because he heard that Don Nix and other people had one. Not sure if he was paying or someone else was. The implication seemed to be that he thought it was cool.

Funnily enough, I currently have Oogum Boogum earworm.

Chris Bernhardt and primejive like this.
  17. Andrew J

I think it is a reissue, rather than a remix. It is the same track listing and according to discogs, there is no differentiation between 1993&2010 to other than reissue status for the latter.

It gets confusing. Jon Tiven's Prix project was running at the same time (75) and a compilation came out a few years ago. I think some tracks on that were from these (Bach's Bottom) sessions a well.

Alex Chilton - Bach's Bottom

18. Andrew J

Came across another thread from this forum on the Bio, which I'm linking to below for cross referencing. Having now read the bio, I was also surprised at how rapidly it went from he late 80s to 2010. As is mentioned there, this could have been an editorial decision, or it may have been that it was more difficult for the author to find people willing to speak about the last 20 years or so.

Alex Chilton Biography: A Man Called Destruction

I think the bio was unique in giving some chronological insight into parts of Chilton's career that hadn't been formulated as such before. IMHO a less linear approach could uncover something different. It was very matter of fact, which is probably what the author was going for. The person himself just seemed really remote to me. No idea if that is how he actually was.

Reading it certainly had an impact on me, but not in the way I expected. I won't waffle on any more about that unless anyone actually wants me to!

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

20. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

it is in my top 30 (the aura version)... he produced the debut of the cramps around this time, so he was really into the alternative scene...

21. vamborules

Trying to Live My Life Without You

22. Andrew J

vamborules, linklinc and brownie61 like this.
  23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just ordered it yesterday.

Andrew J, sharedon and linklinc like this.
  25. vamborules

This show is great. As we know, this is the music Alex really loved to play, and you can hear that in this performance. He sounds very happy to be there. And one thing about Alex, he may not have liked rehearsing but he shows up knowing the songs. I mean Maybellene has a lot of words and he nails them all. It's not like some half-ass faking it thing.

Andrew J, brownie61 and sharedon like this.