Alex Lifeson at peace with the end of Rush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I don't think it's worthy of it's own sub so, since you brought it up:

What drummer would you love to see behind Lee & Lifeson?

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Marco Minnemann

ytserush and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

Dave Grohl or Mike Portnoy

4. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great band no shame. Left bood on the floor. But that cycle can be draining in many ways. There are more stories on Rush now than when they were a band.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Drummer behind Lee and Lifeson? Jon Fishman.

7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm conflicted if I really would want that to happen. But if it did, I know I would be there to see it.

If they did this, I personally think that performing any Rush songs recorded with Neil Peart should be off the table. I would hope that the setlist would be confined to songs from the first Rush album prior to Peart's arrival, covers, and new original material. Whomever the drummer is should be highly capable, but not a Neil Peart imitator.

ytserush likes this.
  8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Obviously someone influenced by Neil who can play the bits but at the same time has his own thing.
    Yes to ? Not sure.
    A big NO vote to Grohl.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. Pratt

Pratt Forum Resident

Really? That's your dream?
    I wasn't old eneough to see them in the 70s either, but for Alex and Geddy to play clubs with another drummer(s) isn't going to even come close to recapturing what they were with Neil. Why even bother doing something like that?
    We'll never have to worry about that anyway because Geddy and Alex are too smart and have too much respect for their bandmate to ever do such a dumb thing.

Sean, Dave, markreed and 3 others like this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

“LONG AGO I READ A STORY FROM ANOTHER TIMELINE about a character named Candide. He also survived a harrowing series of misadventures and tragedies, then settled on a farm near Constantinople. Listening to a philosophical rant, Candide replied, “That is all very well, but now we must tend our garden.”

I have now arrived at that point in my own story. There is a metaphorical garden in the acts and attitudes of a person’s life, and the treasures of that garden are love and respect. I have come to realize that the gathering of love and respect – from others and for myself – has been the real quest of my life.”

“Now we must tend our garden.”

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
    It is what it is – and whatever
    Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow flies when you dream, the hours tick away – the cells tick away
    The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
    The hours tick away – they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
    So hard to earn, so easily burned
    In the fullness of time
    A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun
    ‘Til the stars go spinning – spinning ’round the night
    It is what it is – and forever
    Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe, the hours tick away – the cells tick away
    The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve
    The hours tick away – they tick away

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect
    The way you live, the gifts that you give
    In the fullness of time
    It’s the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory
    With only a moment between
    Forever dwells in that moment
    Hope is what remains to be seen

TeflonScoundrel and ytserush like this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

Bye Alex.

12. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Very few get to go out on top like Rush did.

Best wishes to Alex and Geddy both, no matter what path they take.

I'm at peace with that. I'm not going to get greedy.

Rooster_Ties, Dave, ytserush and 4 others like this.
  13. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

I wanted a tribute show to Neil with Mike Portnoy behind the kit, bit other than that Rush had the perfect ending. No need to sully it.

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Portnoy's a total hack.

squittolo, Sean, sound chaser and 2 others like this.
  15. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Alex Lifeson has played at an intense level of excellence for 40 years. Anybody working the same job for forty years, might agree that it's time to slow down. Most likely, he can still play, but it's not going to sound like Rush, unless he's in pain and discomfort. Is a hundred year old sprinter really doing the 100-yard dash, or is he walking fast from start to finish?

squittolo likes this.
  16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Time for a well deserved rest. Thanks for the memories Alex.

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I seen them a dozen times starting with MP and would love to see them in a hall.
    Who said anything about capturing how they were with Neil I think they will capture something new and be just fine.
    Yes it's a dream one of many.
    Now get back under that rock troll.

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

A total hack? Or partial hack?

The only time I saw him, he was draw-droppingly good, and him and the other fellers in DT only got better as the night went on!

Stormrider77, slovell and ytserush like this.
  19. Not perfect, but it was quite good. "The Garden" was a marvelous final track and yet something almost completely new for them. I didn't like the sound very much. In fact, I don't really like the sound of ANY album Nick has produced. He was the wrong choice.

moodyxadi, Dave, zen and 1 other person like this.
  20. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Everyone wants a great band to go on forever, but sometimes we forget the members are human beings just like us, with their own desires and motivations. After 40 years of relentless touring and studio time, I'd want to go out on top rather than chasing new heights while hoping I don't fall off as age catches up to me.

Good on Rush.

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Idolizing the rock star that just keeps going until they drop dead on stage -- dying for their art -- is all very nice for the fans. It helps us prop up the legend and myth of a 'true artist', but it's also all very selfish. We can discuss these matters over coffee safe and content behind computer screens in our own homes.

Things like the 27 Club make a great story -- unless you are a member. Likewise, those who keep going late into life, I can only hope it makes them happy. Because life is short. And for me, this is our only stop. It's a one shot deal. Let people go out on their own terms, not to satisfy the 'dreams' of others.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Natvecal., ytserush and Glaeken like this.
  22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

For me I'm good with whatever.
    I have seen a few guys in their older days just talking playing solo or with a band and as a musician it was a wonderful experience.
    John Entwistle , Jon Anderson, Steve Howe and Fripp all come to mind off the top of my head. I'm not a fan boy but this band did influence me as Geddy was one of a handful that made me pick up a bass.
    I was one of a handful that would debate in my circles that Alex was not only equal to Ged and Neil but as a guitarist he was as good as anybody. For me he's like a more skilled Jimmy Page with touches of the master John McLaughlin.
    If they want to play fine if not fine , How about if they played but not under the name RUSH ? It's their call obviously but if the call comes I will support them.

internetcurmudgeon and Dave like this.
  23. nategibson672

nategibson672 Forum Resident

In their critically acclaimed Rush: Time Stand Still documentary, the band ruled out ever reforming without their core members, with Geddy Lee saying: "We always said that if the three of us aren't on board, we don't do a thing. There have been other decisions in our career where the three of us weren't on board and we didn't do it.
    Alex added: "It's not like you just get new members of a band and just go for it. Rush has never been a band like that. We'd never, ever do something like that."

24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Portnoy already did his Cygnus And The Sea Monsters Tribute DVD years ago with Paul Gilbert and Sean Malone.

25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Regarding all the talk about them with different drummers or if they ever would play Rush material live again, etc. I know for me I am not even worrying about speculation in that sense. Geddy and Alex (and Neil of course) showed nothing but absolute class their entire careers and whatever Geddy and Alex choose to do and in any way they choose to do it, I know that based on the last 40 years, their decisions will be purely based off of love and respect for each other and for Neil.

Rooster_Ties and ytserush like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.