Alex Lifeson at peace with the end of Rush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m a fan of all three bands but, Rush is not at the Stones and Who level. Just my opinion.

2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It’s not even close. Please list how Rush did that? And I’ll prove it to you.

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

It’s not even close? Okay, we’re done talking.

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That’s why were on this site. List what a Rush did....

5. Mirror Image

No, that’s why YOU’RE on this site. I’m not on this site to argue with people who won’t bother to use their own ears.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

Opinions aside, at least concede the Autumn years for the Stones & Who aren't in the same league as Rush. Bands that don't dry up, are working at a higher level.

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It’s not arguing. It’s discussing your points.

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Talentwise, The Stones and The Who are garage bands next to Rush. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for using this thread as a toilet! :rolleyes::mad::cussing:

mark winstanley and BeauZooka like this.
  10. Mirror Image

And as I wrote to you, I’m not going to be discussing anything with someone who is as ignorant as you are.

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is such a ridiculous statement. Of course they'll never play live under the name Rush. But there's no reason they wouldn't be onstage again, at some point, playing together. Maybe not a huge tour (who knows when live shows will even be a possibility again), but certainly no reason to rule out a guest appearance or a special event (Remember when they played "YYZ" with Taylor Hawkins at a Foo Fighters show once?). Alex's arthritis issues are the only hinderance. I think Geddy will make another solo album one day, and hopefully this time he'll play some shows to support it, maybe Alex will be a part of it, maybe not. But to say those two musicians will never appear onstage together again is absurd.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

It's a non starter dude, the Stones and Who helped make it possible for a band like Rush to even start, Neil was a massive Keith Moon fan. Rush took what they did, put more volume on it, added intense incomparable musicianship greater than what the Stones and Who could do combined. Rush transcended what Rock could be. Honestly you sound like you are trying to speak the loudest trying to get people to see your side.

You may think Rush is not at that level, sure maybe in some aspects. Rush created their own freakin level. Took it to the N'th degree. Some bands could do parts of what Rush could do but could never contain the gestalt. So let it go. Let it go. Let it goooooooo!!

;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    mark winstanley and J_D__ like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

The original RUSH drummer was replaceable.

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The Geddy Tour. He'll have Rush sound all around.

15. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

You had me for a minute there! Grohl and Ulrich couldn't hold a candle to Neil IMO. Now maybe someone like Mike Portnoy or Dave Lombardo could come close...but I dunno.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Wow - the last page and a half sounded like junior high school kids in a "rock band argument", circa 1979!

I love The Who, The Stones AND Rush! 3 completely different bands making completely different music! All contributing ideas and musical shifts (some more than others, but it doesn't matter)!
    All valid, all certainly touching me in different ways- depending upon my mood.

I am hopeful Alex and Geddy don't tour as Rush ever.
    I'd love to hear them collaborate on a project!

17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

:)

18. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Rush were obviously better *technicians* but wouldn't go so far as to call them better musicians or more talented. It really depends on how an individual defines talent.

If technical skill was the crux of musical enjoyment, WTF would we even have to listen to?

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dream Theater? Haha

Seriously I saw Mr. Big open for Rush and while I would consider Sheehan and Gilbert more advanced technically than Geddy or Alex no way would I have ever considered them a better band. Enjoyable, but not better.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Great band, ending with a great catalog, at the right time.

Instant Dharma and ries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.