Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

No starkiness taken at all.

To answer your questions, I believe there is a difference to retiring because of contract running out and being struck down by illness. In the former, yes a replacement would be appropriate. In the latter, I was suggesting retiring the show as a tribute to the man that was key to making the show a long running success. Kind of like retiring a sports legend's jersey number as tribute.

With respect to creating (or more appropriately retooling) a show, that wouldn't take much and could be part of the tribute.

...and with respect to an earlier comment, of course Alex would say he is okay with the show continuing without him. Alex is that kind of selfless guy.

In the end, it's just my opinion. I'm sure the show will continue with a replacement to keep the big machine running.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Alex has commented to the press in the last few days about how he knows how he’ll sign off on the last show (among other things, he wants to make clear that he doesn’t know who his successor will be and doesn’t get a say). So my guess is that he wants to get through the taping for this season and then retire. That way he gets to go out the way he wants to. Contrast that with Allen Ludden, who just disappeared from Password with only a few words from his successor, Tom Kennedy, at the top of his first show as host.

3. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

So what parts of the show need to be thrown over for your Viking funeral? No more Daily Doubles, because that's Alex's thing?

The show format is remarkably straightforward and has had very few changes. You can be champ more than 5 times now, but that's not really a change to a particular show. The dollar amounts were upped but remain in proportion. They don't let 2nd and 3rd place get their dollar amounts any more, so people go all in on the final. That's about it.

This would not be like retiring a number. This is like changing the rules of a game just because someone associated with it died. That you need 5 categories and six questions because the old show must be destroyed.

You will never get your way on this, anyway. With fragmented audiences, no production company is going to do this. They are going to do everything to keep the eyeballs they have on Jeopardy! happy. Otherwise, yeah, let's put people out of work because Alex died. Let's let some other people come up with a better show to replace Jeopardy! because we're refusing to make any more.

GLENN and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm not interested in investing my time to offer how the show could be retooled other than to say it wouldn't take much.

You forgot to add this when you quoted me:
    It's all good mate

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Every thing has it time.. I ask myself do I know those people who work jeopardy ..?
    No... I don't care.

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

This'll probably be the last I say on this (but make no guarantees :) )... Anyway, I get what you're saying about the tribute and all, but when it comes to retiring a player's jersey number as a tribute: The number may be retired, but the game (and/or team) still goes on...

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I can understand and appreciate these thoughts, but remember that Art Fleming was the original host of Jeopardy. Granted, Alex Trebek has been the only host of the current incarnation of the show.

8. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Alex is the face of the show , but all due respect , he didn't invent it. As long as it's a money maker, it will go on. Monty Hall, and Bob Barker, were equally famous in their hosting roles, but the shows continue. Make no mistake, he'll be tough to replace, but time marches on. Hey, they replaced Carson, and not much in the television business gets bigger than that.

9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Next week will mark a year since Alex was diagnosed.

MRamble, Exotiki, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Alex gives his one year update.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Carson is a bad example. They gave his time slot to someone else, but no one else ever replaced him in terms of stature.

But, yeah, others are replaceable. To me, Trebeck is still the new guy and pretender to the throe who replaced the real host, Art Fleming, and his announcer, Don Pardo. But others see him as the permanent face of the show.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I saw this on the news this evening. He definitely is a person of great courage. I hope he does well and beats this terrible disease or at least keeps it under control so he has some more time left in his life.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have fading memories of the original show and those flap covers over the 'answers'. Definitely remember Don Pardo's voice from Jeopardy and not just early SNL. Heck, to me Alex Trebek is the original Reach For The Top and Stars On Ice host (Canadian tv).

Wouldn't it be great if he lives for a dozen plus more years and ultimately has a cause of death having nothing to do with cancer (like a runaway zamboni falls on him from ten stories or something). Just keep living to mess with everyone's minds Trebek! :D

daca, 905 and krock2009 like this.
  14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Literally the only thing this 46-year-old remembers of the Fleming version is that gag from Airplane II: The Sequel.

[​IMG]

15. LeifFan

LeifFan Forum Resident

Ask anyone around you if they know who the hell Art Fleming is. Yeah, didn't think so....

Poor bastard is dying of cancer and this is what the main topic of conversation is. Jesus.....

daca and jlykos like this.
  16. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Seriously. This makes me absolutely sick. Alex Trebek is going through what he is doing with such courage and dignity that comparing him to anybody else is wrong on so many levels. It's not about who is hosting Jeopardy; it's about Trebek the human being and his inspiration to millions.

My own father passed away of cancer that he suffered with for nearly 10 years before it felled him. I know that he would have felt a kindred spirit in what Alex is going through right now. If he goes out, it's absolutely on his own terms and without any regrets. His openness to his audience about his condition and zeal to stand up there every day is the incredible thing that will outlive him and what elevates him above anybody else, not only in Jeopardy, but in most walks of life.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Next time read the context before you post.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

In case you didn't realize, Art Fleming is already dead. Are we not allowed to celebrate his time in the show too? Don Pardo-also no longer with us. Loved em both. Also love Alex.

19. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Yes, I was thinking of the exact same thing..HE was the one who I grew up with.."And the winner IS...THE MAYFLOWER"!

Larry Geller likes this.
  20. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

sad..

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I know who Art Fleming is!
    Do you?!?

22. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Most people know who Art Fleming is. Heck, I'm 24 and I know who he is.

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

We used to call him Fart Phlegmy. We were not the most mature bunch. Every Christmas holiday me and my high school buddies used to trek down to 30 Rock to see them tape Jeopardy. It got to the point that Don Pardo recognized us.

guy incognito and nick99nack like this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

This, this above.

Also sorry about your father.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

...and the answer is, The Mayflower:)

guy incognito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.