Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Trebek >>>>>>>>>Fleming

2. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

Well, there's the Airplane II joke, and then there's this...

guy incognito likes this.
  3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I just looked it up. Art Fleming died of Pancreatic cancer.

Wow

OldSoul and groundharp like this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I don't know what was posted to elicit outrage but it seems easily enough manufactured these days. I did my best in wishing for a zamboni blindside far in the future, it's a kind of Canadian blessing, like may you find your moose before spring. Lost more than one close loved one myself in the fight, and been in the room, but it's no competition is it? :confused:

Below is the Jeopardy I first saw... love those flaps that zip up into the board and make a chunk sound! I've watched more of modern Jeopardy from it's reappearance (it was very difficult the first season or two, almost like Canada's Reach For The Top which was university and college teams, I remember wondering how anyone could could get more than a dozen correct, so I suspect they may have gotten a bit more popular culture with it again and dropped Aquatic Biology and stuff.

JohnO, O Don Piano and Dan C like this.
  5. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

The sad state of the Art Fleming-era Jeopardy archive (basically nonexistent) makes me wish that Goodson-Todman had produced it although it would have been a very different show.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Thanks for sharing the video link.

My son and I are big fans of the show and both Alex Trebek and Johnny Gilbert. My son has watched the show for almost his entire life (over 30 years) and I for longer (whenever I could get home early enough from work to catch it for many of those years). As a result, we both flew out to Sony Culver City studios last early October to watch a full week worth of taping (on a single day). Absolutely amazing experience for us and we each asked Alex 2 questions during the long breaks between Double and Final Jeopardy tapings. For about 15-20 minutes Alex graciously answers audience questions of all types for each show taped. Questions like what is your favorite Beatles song (too many to choose from!) to favorite movie (How Green was My Valley), etc.

My son asked Alex what do you talk about in the closing credits with the contestants and Alex said he is trying to make the losing contestants feel better after the matches. In another question by another audience member, he was asked about his health which he was quite honest about that its quite a battle on some days but he is fighting with all his efforts. Kind of made you swallow hard if you were there.

To my son and I, he is a true inspiration and I can't think of anyone more courageous right now.
    Also a belated happy 96th birthday on July 13th to Johnny Gilbert, who we tried to say hello to but he got up fairly quickly after the last show taping and exited behind stage.
    Anyway talking to Alex from the second row was something we will never forget.

OldSoul, beccabear67, 905 and 10 others like this.
  8. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I had no idea that Johnny Gilbert was 96. That is great! Very cool that you were able to do that with your son.

Davosco, 905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow had no idea his b'day was the same as my mom, who turned 99!

10. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Yes my son really pushed me to join him on this trip given Alex's situation and Johnny's advancing age. These are basically 2 people he has grown up with on TV since he was 2-3 years old. My mother used to watch my son when he was an infant and she always put it on and he watched as well and has never stopped since (except missing some episodes while in college).

My son has also pushed me to audition for the show and I did once making it into the second round live audition. I won my game there but was not selected for the show. I am not disappointed as many do not make it after repeated attempts including Holzhauer who took 3 tries to finally get on. I will not pursue this further given I am slowing down a bit in speed but my son is gearing up for a try in the hopefully not too distant future.

11. MikaelaArsenault

You're welcome.

12. MikaelaArsenault

:(

Alex Trebek: If my current cancer treatment fails, I will stop treatment

“Yesterday morning my wife came to me and said, ‘How are you feeling?’ And I said, ‘I feel like I want to die.’ It was that bad,” the Jeopardy! host, who turns 80 on Wednesday, tells The New York Times of his stage 4 pancreatic cancer while promoting his memoir The Answer Is… : Reflections on My Life, due out Tuesday. “There comes a time where you have to make a decision as to whether you want to continue with such a low quality of life, or whether you want to just ease yourself into the next level. It doesn’t bother me in the least.” Trebek, who worries that he's slurring his words and messing up clues, also said he'll stop hosting Jeopardy! if he can no longer do a competent job. “It’s a quality program, and I think I do a good job hosting it, and when I start slipping, I’ll stop hosting,” he said.

beccabear67, Tim S and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Just an FYI- Alex is going to be on "Good Morning America" this coming Tuesday (07/21/20), in case anyone's interested...

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have a spot for Gene Rayburn and Chuck Barris, but Alex will always be my all-time #1 favorite show host. I can definitely sympathize about quality of life versus life period... I hope he will have some more good days!

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, thanks...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Michael

so sad and noble.

17. MikaelaArsenault

It really is sad.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Michael

on the flip he did live a good full life. He gave many much enjoyment. Bless him.

19. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Not sure about this date but the Alex Trebek interview was aired this morning on GMA.
    Here it is:

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

I thought that it was tomorrow.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He needs to quit and enjoy what time he has left with his wife.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I thought so too!

Last week, when I heard it was going to air, they said it'd be on today (Tuesday). I set the DVR for today, so I'll be quite ticked off it they aired it a day early.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Anybody watch Alex's first episode last night? Did they speed the show up somehow to compensate for modern commercial time requirements? It just seemed so hyper I could barely follow what was going on. Alex barely took a breath. Was that how the show was or did they fiddle with it due to time constraints?

24. MikaelaArsenault

I actually forgot about it.

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

You can just watch the clip above... :confused:

Also that headline is misleading. He said he would continue chemo but not other treatments after the immunotherapy he is doing now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.