Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Doesn't look good, also first hand experience losing someone with a stage 4 cancer (pancreatic and ovarian I think are the two deadliest). Nobody gets out of here alive though

Going to miss him. :cry: I still miss Robert Osborne!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

"Stage Four Pancreatic Cancer"

"What is, What's the last thing I want to hear that anyone has contracted?"

Looked like when he made the announcement, their wasn't even a trace of fear or tear in his eyes. :edthumbs:

I remember watching the first show they aired without his mustache.

Since Wheel Of Fortune usually follows Jeopardy in many cities, my immediate thought after the initial shock wore off, was since game shows know ahead of time which day it will actually be broadcast, it would have been kind of funny if Trebek came out as he did, then when 'Wheel' followed it, have Pat Sajak come out in a copycat mustache without uttering a word of explanation, and playing it straight until the first commercial break!

I liked Alex in this as well:

I like the following scene where Alex goes to Cheers and talks with Carla:

Hi, I've seen you on jeopardy! You're even cuter in person.
    Well, thank you very much.
    Hey, could I ask you a question?
    Sure.
    Do all you popular game show hosts know each other?
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. The answer is, no. I don't know Vanna White all that well.
    Good. Then you'll believe me when I tell you that I'm better than her in bed.
    Will you excuse me?
    Hey, I can turn over letters you've never seen before!

Best of luck Alex.
    Don't ever give up hope, and keep that stiff upper lip.

3. Hard to say for sure if anyone will ever host Jeopardy, after Alex Trebek. Perhaps, and I'm certainly NOT suggesting that no one else could ever host show (or something substantially like it).

Trebek has literally been the only host of the current daily inception of the show since 1984 -- or nearly 35 years -- which a full generation and a half.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Someone will replace him for sure. Maybe it’s hard to imagine, but it will happen.

5. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Jeopardy makes a ton of money. Someone will take over.

jerol

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. "Tonight" went on without Johnny Carson, too!

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Prayer was sent for you Alex. I really admire how you put your honesty out there for the fans so they can hear it from you instead of the tabloids. A very classy act you are!

MikaelaArsenault and Tim S like this.
  8. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I thought Stage 4 meant it isn't possible to cure just improve quality of life.

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Pretty much. Stage 4 means the cancer has metastasized. 5 year survival rate for S4 pancreatic cancer is 3%. For a 78-yo man it's gotta be even worse.

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Class act that he is, I expect that Alex will give his blessing to the show continuing if and when the time comes.

Perhaps a transition period of guest hosts for a time would make an ultimate permanent replacement more easily accepted.

Ken Jennings would have credibility with the show's fans if he wanted to take on such a role.

12. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

13. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

That's very positive news! :edthumbs:

Johnny Vinyl and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was rooting for him!

krock2009 likes this.
  15. Unfortunately, treatment can buy folks months not years especially at stage four. Perhaps he is on some experimental therapy. I wish him well and am happy to hear he is feeling better but, I suspect, he will not be around for the next season. If he is, he’s one lucky guy.

I just lost a friend to this insidious disease. He survived three months from diagnosis.

RK2249, guy incognito and GodShifter like this.
  16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

So, if they just wrapped the season, how many unaired episodes are in the can? Any (knowledgable, hopefully) guesses out there?

The current champion has had quite a remarkable run over the last couple weeks, earning >$100,000 in multiple shows, when the past record was far below that. I hope they have quite a few left to air...

17. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The current season ends in July, but the Teacher's Tournament which was taped last week, and was the last of the taping, airs the second week of May.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

[QUOTE="tman53, post: 20782119, member: 6799"]I thought Stage 4 meant it isn't possible to cure just improve quality of life.[/QUOTE]
    Former president Jimmy Carter bounced back from stage four and is now caner free. So there have been recoveries even at stage four. But Pancreatic Caner at stage four, no, not happening.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

He can have a positive outlook, if it helps. But I too have been exposed to someone with P cancer and I agree with the others above. Poor poor man

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t mean to be a downer, but he’s a goner. Having a good attitude is a good thing, though.

21. I agree. The staging (as you probably know) focuses much more on the spread to surrounding organs, if the cells have migrated in the blood. As you point out, people can live for years with other types of cancer and this is really about extending life BUT as you point out pancreatic patients rarely make it to a year. He has more money, better medical care and may even be in a clinical trial-all of that may help (he could also get into one of City of Hope or UCLA clinical trials) but without the pancreas, he won’t be able to process food, etc. At least he doesnt bad have temporal wasting. Yet.

I wish him and his family well.

guy incognito and GodShifter like this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The best thing is to cherish the time you have left as long as you’re able with the people you love and have everything in order.

23. I don't mean to be a downer, but the dude is 78 years old. Not a bad age to snuff it in my estimation. It's not like we're talking about a 25-year old. Hell, there are children dying of cancer in hospitals every day, and we're going to give Alex the death-watch-of-good-intentions?

But you know, I'm a pretty happy guy. I simply wonder how we got this whole death trip backwards.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Evolist,

I'm sure many of us here have someone in their circle who has a child that has cancer or has died of it. It's just that AT is a personality and comes into millions of homes every night as a 'comforting presence' for lack of a better word.
    Right now , my wife has a friend who has a teen relative dying of pediatric cancer.

25. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Like I posted earlier, my 80 plus neighbor bounced back from it. Not sure what stage she had. But I will say Alex looks damn good at this point. Hope for the best!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.