Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

He mentioned a little bit more info here:

I'm still amazed at how he has retained his sense of humor throughout this ordeal. Wishing him the best.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Man I can't imagine deciding to go through this brutal treatment again after all he's gone through already. Wishing him the very best.

dan c

3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I am not at all surprised by the latest news. His previous announcement was just too vague for me to feel optimistic.

I'm afraid that the end won't be long off now.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I seem to recall a recent episode where Alex commented that one of his regrets was letting the media into as much of his illness as he has. It was a short comment something to that effect.

My thoughts on the future of Jeopardy is that they should proceed with "Greatest Of All Time" tournament and then retire the show.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Jeopardy is way too popular to be retired... The Price is Right successfully transitioned to Drew Carey when Bob Barker retired, and there's no reason to believe that Jeopardy won't successfully carry on with the loss of Alex Trebek.

Besides, Jeopardy is way too big of a cash cow for the owners/syndicators let it fall into oblivion. It ain't goin' nowhere.

krock2009, mrjinks, GLENN and 3 others like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

Jeopardy will just continue with a different host.

krock2009 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Tomorrow night (01/02/20) on ABC television network, they're going to air a special titled "What is Jeopardy", in case anybody's interested.

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks!!!!

11. Grand_Ennui

Exactly...

And I have no idea of his feelings on it, but my gut tells me that Alex Trebek wouldn't want the show to stop.

12. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Even before Alex’s illness, I guarantee you that the producers were having discussions about the next host. The man is pushing 80, and the show is very successful. There was a host before Alex, and there will be one after him.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The loss of Trebek would feel different because it's death, not retirement, but I agree the show's not gonna fade away because it loses the host.

"Tonight" continued without Carson, and as you note, "Prize Is Priced" went on without Barker, a host at least as iconic as Trebek!

MikaelaArsenault and krock2009 like this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

And not to mention, "Family Feud" that went on after Richard Dawson's leaving and the death of long time host Ray Combs, and "Let's Make a Deal" is still going strong without Monty Hall...

15. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I just told my wife the other night that as iconic as Richard Dawson was on Family Feud, Steve Harvey has totally made that show his own (sorry, never saw much of the hosts in between)

16. Grand_Ennui

I remember Richard Dawson & Ray Combs pretty well... I never seen any of the episodes where Louie Anderson hosted... And yes, Steve Harvey is good on there-There were always some laughs on Family Feud, but Steve Harvey really amped that up.

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Did anyone catch the "What Is Jeopardy" special last night?

I learned that Alex Trebek began hosting Jeopardy from 1984 after the show was off air for years. After thirty-five years of continuous run hosted by Alex I would credit him for the success and longevity of show. Yeah I suppose he could be replaced but it would never be the same. I stand by my opinion that after Alex steps down the network should retire the show out of respect for the man that made the show what it is. The network could always create a new show that's similar.

On another note, I have noticed in recent episodes that Alex's voice is sometimes garbled.

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

+1 for obscure "Flintstones" reference :)

19. Oatsdad

Ha - not obscure to me! I've called it that for like 35 years! :D

Now I just need to buy a boat and name it the "NAUSEA"!

MikaelaArsenault, krock2009 and RayS like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You always have to put your two cents, you landlubber!

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Alex is okay with the show continuing without him, and that’s good enough for me.

22. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The show hit because of the concept. Alex has certainly been an able face of the show, but the show itself has its own identity. It doesn't need a Viking funeral.

23. Oatsdad

People seem to forget that "Jeopardy" was already very successful pre-Trebek.

Heck, Sajak wasn't the 1st on "Wheel" either! That was the show that made Chuck Woolery famous.

There was some minor uproar when both shows got new hosts in the 80s.

Of course, Trebek and Sajak hosted their respective shows waaaay longer than their predecessors, so I get that comparisons aren't 100% valid, but still...

24. Grand_Ennui

I'm not being snarky here but have to ask you this: The last time Alex renewed his contract, I believe it was for two years... Let's say a medical miracle happens, and Alex is able to fulfill the rest of his contract and retires as originally planned-What then, should they retire the show then? Yes, it's too bad his retirement from the show will be from illness, but had it not gone down that way and he just finished his two year contract, should they have retired the show then? The ends are the same (no more Alex hosting), but why end a show because someone retires? I mean he would have been leaving regardless, and the producers would have known this and would have been looking for a replacement in any case...

I don't think that'd work at all-Why replace a show with a show that'd basically be the same thing, perhaps only with a different name?

Plus, yeah the show's creator (Merv Griffin) is dead, but I believe whoever owns the intellectual rights to "Jeopardy" would sue the pants off of anybody who'd try to copy their owned and trademarked property... It would make no sense to try to do this. And let's hypothetically say the owners of "Jeopardy" would create a similar show... Why bother going thru a name change and some minimal format changes to create something "new" when they already have a very popular and established show already? It'd make no sense, since "Jepoardy" is such an iconic and well-received game show-They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Creating a new "Jeopardy" wanna-be would be about as successful and useful as "New Coke" back in '85.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  25. Grand_Ennui

Exactly!

MikaelaArsenault and krock2009 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.