Alex Trebek RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I actually thought Vanna did pretty well, all things considered.

I thought she was stiff on her first hosting episode, but I thought she found a groove fairly quick.

OldSoul likes this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You may not have noticed the heavy editing that they did after the first few episodes to cut out her mistakes, but I clearly saw them.

3. Chris C

Speaking of Vanna, maybe she was thinking of hosting Jeopardy? Check out the end of this clip ...

OldSoul likes this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

:D

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I would have called in Bob Goen to fill in - he hosted the daytime version of the show in the late 80s/early 90s.

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. danielanderson2100

danielanderson2100 Active Member

It's kind of like when Pat Finn hosted The Joker's Wild in 1990, while he wasn't Jack Barry(by a longshot) he did a pretty decent hosting job, once they went to the "Category" format, additionally, the pace of the game was changed to allow games to straddle between shows if there was not enough time to play the bonus game in that particular show, making it much like the original in that regard.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

mrjinks likes this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It was there one morning and when I checked in on it that evening, it was gone. The discussion had turned to the controversary about Mike Richards and his subsequent resignation as host. The thread must have taken an egregiously wrong turn and was deleted.

I think that the leading candidate for a permanent host of the syndicated evening show should be Ken Jennings, unless his other tv obligations prevent him from doing so (I'm becoming less sure as time goes on that the show is seriously considering him). Buzzy may have an outside chance. I always thought that Richards was the wrong choice and the optics weren't very good when the 'boss' (as exec producer, one of the people selecting the successor host) is named as the successful candidate. I'm not that thrilled with Bialik as the prime time host and am glad she's just the temporary host of the syndicated edition.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I'm all for Jennings, but I liked Buzzy more than I thought I would. Mayim will probably do well in the role they've set up for her.

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

You know who would be excellent at this? Ophira Eisenberg, host of NPR's Ask Me Another show.

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yahoo put out a hit piece on Mayim yesterday, one of those typical smear jobs that claim "Jeopardy Fans" are calling for her to be booted, as opposed to saying, this article's author is calling for it. Of course in the first paragraph, they work in the phrase "fan favorite LeVar Burton." It has a few comments bashing the article, all of the comments, just that few people probably read anything on Yahoo news anymore. I tried to post my comment, it got sent to moderation and I got an e-mail saying they rejected it. The "internet press" is unbelievably lacking in journalistic integrity.

This Is Why "Jeopardy!" Fans Are Calling for Mayim Bialik to Be Fired Now

I think Aisha Tyler would be great. She has actual experience as a game show host, and has been good at hosting anything since her Talk Soup days. I don't know why they didn't try her out. Maybe she had no time, didn't want to do it or can't contractually do it while doing her other gigs. She's a Team LeVar person on Twitter.

12. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I' m glad Mike Richards got booted , I thought he had some nerve to weasel his self into that job from his position .
    No class. Didn't much like him as host neither.

Have to admit I didn't really care much for anyone I saw as host - not Mayim or LeVar . To me, they just didn't seem all that suited to the job, but perhaps I' m still feeling no one can replace our
    Alex .

Jennings was earnest but kind of bland mho but it is possible in time, he would get a better handle on being a host , which he's never done before.

The only one I felt could walk into the job was George Stepanopolis (?sp)
    He seemed comfortable there, and since he's used to being on camera , he was one of the few I felt was as polished as Alex, and could relate as well to an audience . I liked him best, maybe b/ c he's been a familiar presence . But I don't think he'd wanna give up his day job.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but overall it seemed the powers-that-be did not put great amount of effort or creativity into finding a solid and suitable kind of person to be host . Maybe one of us here should apply?

JediJones likes this.
  13. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

At this point, I’m sure they want to find a new permanent host as quickly as possible and put this whole mess behind them. As a result, I doubt that we’ll see very many more guest hosts.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Hope so. Last I checked he didn't kill anyone. And he hasn't been fired as producer either.

I also think Brian Williams would be worth a try. He has that stiff, cheesy game show host quality that I think would make him better-suited for that job than a newscaster. It looks like articles said he was being spoken to back in 2013, but I guess he wasn't even tried as a guest host this time. Granted that was before his scandal, but he's still employed as a news host, so surely a game show can't be more concerned about integrity than a news show.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Until a Alex Trebek hologram is perfected, let's have the Dio hologram host.

(Insert a "giving the horns" emoji here)

:)

bartels76 likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

18. Grand_Ennui

I watched the episodes with LeVar Burton, and I just don't think he has what it takes to be the host of a game show...

He *was* a good host on 'Reading Rainbow, and I'm sure there's a devoted bunch of ST:TNG fans that would love to see him there, but he just didn't have the personality... Neither did #12. LeVar was almost too 'enthusiastic' and #12 had all the hosting personality of a wet mop.

19. Chris C

I still say that they've got the perfect choice for new host with CNBC's David Faber! He is clearly a pro, he speaks well and is intelligent and he truly has a bit of Alex in him visually, with his mannerisms.

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

21. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The news about Mayim Bialik doesn’t surprise me. If she didn’t already have the Fox sitcom, my guess is that they would have already named her as permanent host. The Jeopardy producers are probably hoping that her sitcom will get a quick cancellation in the fall and they’re going to keep the seat warm for a few months with a combination of her and guest hosts.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He seemed a bit like wallpaper for me. You need a tad more personality for the hosting gig on Jeopardy.

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think she would want the full-time hosting gig. She's an actress and you would think she would want to keep doing that without being limited.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The problem with anonymous sources is that you never know how reliable they are. That article cites "Sony production sources" as claiming "Jeopardy honchos" want Bialik to take the job and are working to accommodate her schedule. Yet this article claims "two show insiders" are saying that "it's Jennings' job to lose" and that "most sources" say "Jennings is the hands-down favorite." So who is right?

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

She's 45 which means she's very quickly aging out of "The Mom" type roles and entirely too young to be even considered for "The Grandma". She's likely got enough money in the bank from The Big Bang Theory and Jeopardy! only tapes a few weeks out of the calendar year (they tape a week's worth of shows in one work day - one work week yields 5 weeks of shows). She's an old pro when it comes to working for television and the job would also afford her ample traveling on Jeopardy's dime. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.