Alex Trebek RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The man was a North American Institution.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Trebek

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. bpmd1962

bpmd1962 Forum Resident

4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Ken is the Jeopardy GOAT. I thought he was fine reading clues and think he will get consideration.

5. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The man liked him some vinyl!

[​IMG]

6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

He must really have been proud of that collection!

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

and Mark Twain as well, apparently

8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Vinyl and Mark Twain-- just two of the things that made Alex the well-rounded personality he was (IMO).

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Brief tribute on The Simpsons tonight...

[​IMG]

10. MikaelaArsenault

In the 90s, my high school got a chance to get Alex Trebek for their video yearbook.

Gems-A-Bems and goat65cars like this.
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Google has a nice Easter egg when you search Alex Trebek.

Did you mean: Who is Alex Trebek

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Alex was born at a time when nobody even thought of TV game shows, let alone making a very good career out of hosting TV game shows.

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

that’s actually not true at all.

14. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

And himself, apparently. Who has a painting of themselves on the wall?

I like the guy and all, but yikes.

15. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Perhaps someone painted it for him? What's he supposed to do, throw it away?

905, MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  16. Literally, you are correct. Effectively, however, it holds water.
    Yes, the first TV's were made in the late 1920's, 1928 I think..
    Yes, households had TV's in the late 1930's...but at a cost of around $1,000 (roughly a $19,000 TV today) it certainly was not a common purchase. Nor were there many of them produced, thus making a TV show still an uncommon thing to be viewed.

In 1940 this was pretty much the norm. TV's were highly expensive, few were produced, and few familys had a TV.

By 1947 this all began to change rapidly, and by about 1954 a TV had become much less expensive and much more common. Now the average family did have a TV and they did watch TV shows...But not in 1940 when Alex was born.

Yes, you are literally correct, and I am literally wrong, when I wrote Alex was born at a time when nobody even thought of TV gameshows.
    Gameshows were being thought up, and they were being shown, but to a terribly small audience who could afford such an expensive purchase as a TV, and who also lived where a TV signal was being broadcast.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I just heard on radio news that Jeopardy will resume production on Dec. 3 with Ken Jennings as "interim host".

Earlier it was announced that Alex' final show would air Dec. 25, Christmas. But now the weeks of Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 will have Alex' 10 best shows, and Alex' final week of shows starts Jan. 4. :cry:

They're taking Alex into 2021, which I think is nice in a way.

Then Ken's first shows start airing Jan. 11.

That's what I heard they announced, but anything can change.

18. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

It’s good that they’re delaying Alex’s final show until after the New Year. Chances are good that it would have been pre-emptied on a lot of stations on Christmas Day.

19. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I have a close family member with the same disease. It is not easy and this hurts. They have so far beaten the odds at 2 years. Tell your friends and family you love them.

None of this life is guaranteed.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  20. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

They’re going to be using a variety of guest hosts - Ken is first. I still don’t think they’ll use him as the permanent host. They’re giving multiple people tryouts. That’s smart. You don’t want to be the person who starts hosting three days after Alex’s last episode airs. Instead, they’ll give viewers a chance to get used to the show without Alex and gain some distance from his death before putting whoever is the permanent host into the hot seat.

“Alex believed in the importance of Jeopardy! and always said that he wanted the show to go on after him,” said EP Mike Richards in a statement. “We will honor Alex’s legacy by continuing to produce the game he loved with smart contestants and challenging clues. By bringing in familiar guest hosts for the foreseeable future, our goal is to create a sense of community and continuity for our viewers.”

Jeopardy!: Ken Jennings to Succeed the Late Alex Trebek as First 'Guest Host'

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Radio game shows or "quiz shows". Supposedly the first-ever-anywhere radio quiz show was in 1935 in Canada:
    Canada history: May 15, 1935: "I'll take quiz shows for $1,000, Alex"

In US, radio quiz shows are said to have begun in 1936 (a few complete show example audio files are on this page including an undated but complete Groucho Marx You Bet Your Life radio version):
    https://www.otrcat.com/quiz-and-game-old-time-radio-shows

Many of the first TV game shows were adapted versions of radio game shows.

Alex, born in Ontario in 1940, grew up with game shows on radio, then TV, all of his life. As he started his broadcasting career in Canada in 1961 as a general radio announcer doing "every possible job", being the announcer or host of a radio or TV game show was always a possibility for him.
    Jeopardy is a quiz show, with the twist of giving the answer first, of course, a concept created by Merv Griffin - or his wife.
    Alex Trebek - Wikipedia

22. MikaelaArsenault

I had a feeling that they would get him.

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Q: Are you a fan of Mark Twain?

Alex Trebek: I have been a fan for a long time. I don't know what is so intriguing about him, the things he stands for or the way he lived his life. I found a lot of similarities with my own life....he drinks, he uses colorful language, he had a respect for other people.

upload_2020-11-24_6-53-49.png

[​IMG]
    Alex Trebek as Mark Twain in the 1970s. (Photo courtesy of Alex Trebek)

Trebek is a big Mark Twain fan. “I own every book he ever wrote and several biographies of him,” he says. What’s more, Trebek actually played Twain in the 1970s in two episodes of a TV docu-drama show called Witness to Yesterday. “You have to look at philosophy as a way of life,” says Trebek, “and Twain’s way of life was a very honest, straightforward one in which he respected humanity and cared about people–cared about their suffering. And he certainly was not partial to the oligarchs of the world. We need him today, actually. We could use him.”

JohnO, SandAndGlass and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

One of the problems I've always had with JEOPARDY! is that it really doesn't do what it purports to, that is to have the clues give "answers" and then the contestant supplies the "question".

A sample from the show:

Clue:
    THIS NUMBER, ONE OF THE FIRST 20,
    USES ONLY ONE VOWEL
    (4 TIMES!)

The question would be:
    WHAT IS SEVENTEEN?

Now, in reality, if someone were to ask you the question, "What is seventeen?", I can guarantee you that you would never answer with "This number, one of the first 20, uses only one vowel (4 times!)"
    No, instead you'd answer something like, "It's the integer after sixteen". Or "It's the number between sixteen and eighteen".

Most of the answers and questions on the show have that failing. The correct "questions" are usually something very specific, while the "answers" are somewhat rambling.

But who am I to criticize the mechanics of a show that has been around for many years and is beloved by many. I suppose it's a case of "it is what it is", but really, it's not exactly answers and then questions.

Doug_B, nick99nack and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'Witness To Yesterday' is one of my favourite television shows of all time ... so naturally, it has never been released on home video in any form. I think there's only one episode available on Youtube - Joan of Arc. And yes, I remember Trebek's appearance as Twain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.