Alex Trebek RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't know if I have ever seen Alex do the show? I don't think so? The last time I remember watching the show, Art Flemming was the host.

I have to hand it to the new guy. It is pretty incredible how long he has hosted the show. It is also incredible to have attained the age of 80 and still be actively employed hosting a TV show. This is a business where even the very best come and go.

I'm guessing that the show was the inspiration for Johnny Carson's character Karnac?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'd tend to agree with your assessment of the "answers/questions"...

I have no interest in ever being on the show, but I would never get on there anyway, because when I play along in my head at home, I never think "What is, who is, etc.". I just blurt out the answer in my head, never phrasing it in the form of a question.

GLENN and Doug_B like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Pat Sajak is 74, so while Alex had 6 years on him, if Pat keeps going until he's 80, then he will have hosted "Wheel of Fortune" longer than Alex hosted "Jeopardy".

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

True, but Jeopardy is still a better show!

I think that many viewers watched wheel just to see Vanna turn the boxes...

Kind of the way some viewers watched the Miss America beauty pageant to see Burt Parks sing.

Jack Lord and Grand_Ennui like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

I would say I like "Jeopardy" and "Wheel" equally-They are both entertaining...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

it will be interesting to see how it plays out but I think Ken has a shot. My mama watches Mastermind religiously and gets very disappointed when Ken isn't on it. He is actually kind of a wise ass in his own goofy, low key way and I think he will do fine. If anything works against him, it's just that it's so much fun to see him as a contestant, ripping through answers to the most obscure trivia like a champ.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's been decades, but I remember reading an autobiography by one of the men behind Wheel of Fortune where where he mentioned that the game was deliberately designed to make the audience feel good by getting the answer before the contestants could.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

I think that being further away gives you a more natural prospective on the words.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

In the case of Wheel of Fortune, the contestants are incentivized to continue playing after it's obvious what the answer is.

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I remember (vaguely) reading that when the show first started, that they indeed did have it the way you wish for, but it was discovered pretty quickly that it just didn't work well that way and so they made it more conventional (The only twist really is that you have to phrase as a question).

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There's a funny article in the New Yorker this week from a Wheel contestant.

12. True but Sajak's hair is a lot younger than the rest of him. ;-)

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I really liked Wheel back in the early 80s when they started doing the syndicated nighttime version with the more expensive prizes. But after they got rid of shopping and went to all cash, it just bored me.

14. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

I assume you mean, "at an older age than Trebek"? Sajak's already hosted Wheel longer than Trebek hosted Jeopardy!, since he took over that show a couple years before Trebek's Jeopardy! began airing.

(I'm also amazed to realize that both Sajak and Trebek have now hosted their shows longer than Bob Barker's thirty-five year run on The Price is Right).

woody, David Campbell and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The first host is Ken Jennings and BTW, Ken is a renowned podcaster and author as well.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Good. Watching the show every night leading up to his last show on Christmas day was like some morbid 2020 advent calendar.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

SNL Hosts for December Announced; JEOPARDY! Announces Final Week of Alex Trebek Episodes Then Ken Jennings Guest Host Week - SitcomsOnline.com News Blog

As JEOPARDY! remembers and celebrates the life of Alex Trebek, the show announced today that it will resume production today (Monday, November 30). Though a long-term replacement host will not be named at this time, JEOPARDY! will return to the studio with a series of interim guest hosts from within the JEOPARDY! family, starting with Ken Jennings. Earlier this year, Jennings claimed the title of JEOPARDY!'s Greatest of All Time in an epic ABC primetime event; he also holds the all-time records for most consecutive games won (74) and highest winnings in regular-season play ($2,520,700). Additional guest hosts will be announced in the weeks ahead. Jennings will also be featurned with his other Greatest of All Time contestants in a new ABC primetime series The Chase, beginning Jan. 7 at 9PM.

JEOPARDY! also announced an update to its broadcast schedule: in memory of Alex, the show will air 10 of his best episodes the weeks of December 21 and December 28, 2020. New episodes will continue to air now through December 18. Due to anticipated preemptions around Christmas and New Year's, Alex's last week of episodes will now air the week of January 4, 2021, in order to give his millions of fans a chance to see his final appearances. Alex's final episode will air Friday, January 8. The first week of guest-hosted shows will air the week of January 11, 2021.

Grand_Ennui and Paul J like this.
  19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

During the Westminster Dog Show a hint was dropped that John O’Hurley would be hosting (guest hosting, I suppose) Jeopardy.

I think he would do a good job.

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Does ABC own the Game Show Network? I thought they aired 'The Chase', hosted by Brooke Burns.

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No.

22. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I have also heard Le Var Burton as a suggestion. I also thought Alex himself mentioned a woman who was an attorney at one point as a possible replacement? This had to be about 5 years ago, before the current Jenningsmania (I claim copyright and trademark of this phrase).

I’m sure the eventual host will be a good successor to Alex.

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming, although I was very young back then, but Alex and his personality was what really made my wife and I true fans of the show. I'm horrible at this show, but every night my wife says that I should audition for "Wheel", as I'm pretty good guessing the puzzles. I said it's easy when you are sitting on our sectional and not actually there in the studio. Watching Alex just reading the answers always amazes this radio personality, as I KNOW that I wouldn't be able to host that show. Pat Sajak, as far as I'm concerned, is a very thinly talented host, with a really dry and almost creepy sense of humor and he completely lucked into that job when Chuck Wollery and his co-host wanted a raise and Merv Griffin let him walk.

I wish Ken Jennings luck, but he's no Alex Trebek ..., but who is, right?

Jack Lord likes this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I really enjoy Pat Sajak's humor. He and I seem to be on the same page there - my humor is also rather dry. I wouldn't call it creepy though.

I too remember the very stiff and formal Art Fleming. I think he put me off of liking the show. It just wasn't a game show I enjoyed.

It will be interesting watching the rotating hosts that are essentially auditioning for the job, but I don't envy whoever ultimately gets it.

bmasters9 likes this.
  25. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I didn’t like Art Fleming - a little too insincere and aggressive. Sajak is fine, but I preferred Chuck Woolery (the game was more interesting when he hosted, because it was before they dropped the shopping).

Yeah - I don’t envy who ultimate gets the job, but he/she will at least not be walking into the job three days after Trebek’s last episode airs. That would be a guaranteed disaster. They’ll do guest hosts for a while, and then the audience will long for some stability and be more likely to welcome the permanent host.

bmasters9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.