Alex Winter’s ‘ZAPPA’ Trailer (Theaters/VOD Nov 27)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yamfox, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I get Pamela....but, the real 'get' would've been Pamela Zarubica!

2. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The Kickstarter Zappa Doc Backer Exclusive Soundtrack:

19680000 Toronto (Excerpt) - Toronto, Canada
    19680723 Memories Of El Monte - Whisky A Go Go; Hollywood, CA
    19680723 Oh, In The Sky - Whisky A Go Go; Hollywood, CA
    19680723 The Duke - Whisky A Go Go; Hollywood, CA
    19690216 Theme From Run Home Slow - Ballroom; Stratford, CT
    19690216 The Little March - Ballroom; Stratford, CT
    19680000 Oink - Apostolic Studios; New York, NY
    19680000 Randomonuim - Apostolic Studios; New York, NY
    19680000 Humble & Naive
    19780831 Mo's Vacation - Circus Krone; Munich, Germany
    20181206 None Of The Above - Kronos Quartet - Ace Hotel Theater; Los Angeles, CA
    19830100 Envelopes - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kent Nagano- Twickenham; London, England
    19920919 Overture - Ensemble Modern - Frankfurt, Germany

vince likes this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Except Netflix and Hulu apparently...

Still, this seems worth an eventual Blu-ray purchase.

4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Netflix, thankfully, doesn't have a pay-for-additional-content option. I hope that never changes (Amazon Prime Video is a mess for example of what you can view with your subscription and what you have to pay extra for). Don't know much about Hulu, assume its the same.

Chris DeVoe, AveryKG and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

A local rep cinema will be showing the movie, but even with a limit of 50 people I’m rather nervous about going out to see it. I passed on the Creem Magazine documentary for the same reason.
    Anyone know what (if any) service will be streaming it in Canada ?

6. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

So this is JUST PPV on Amazon etc.? Is it known if or when it will be on Prime or Netflix?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident Thread Starter

The pre-order isn't up on either Amazon (.com OR .ca) or Apple TV/iTunes yet, but those are the places I would look that certainly have some Canadian presence. Eastlink cable's on demand listings does feature it as coming soon, so it should be wherever you guys typically rent digital movies.
    I'd imagine it'll have a VOD window of at least a couple months, but it's a Magnolia Pictures release which typically end up on Hulu - everything they released theatrically from January through March this year (Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band, The Whistlers, Slay the Dragon, and Buffaloed) is currently on there, and a quick search reveals they signed a multiyear deal back in January 2017.
    With how ruthless the streaming market is right now though you can't say with certainty that contract will last long enough to see this film appear there though, it could easily be snatched up somewhere else.

8. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

Looks like VOD or streaming is going to be my only option.
    The theatre that was going to be showing the movie announced this afternoon that due to new COVID restrictions here in Hamilton, Ontario that they’re closing until further notice.

9. Mr David

Mr David Forum Resident

Frank Didn't do Drugs and I doubt You could Play his Music Stoned , especially after 1969 .

10. vince

Soooo, my copy of THE BOOK come today!
    At first, I thought, 'Awww, this is little thin..:('
    But, you know, I decided to get the book, since I assume the soundtrack, and the movie would be made available in future (hope so, anyway), so, if I'm gonna donate, I should get something that's ONLY gonna be coming out for donators only.
    WORTH EVERY PENNY!
    All the pix, the ads, the "..Money" photo-shoot, the scores, etc.
    very satisfied!

idiot bastard and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

yowza

12. vince

13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

14. vince

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  15. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sadly it's not playing in any theaters near me.

17. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Playing in Calgary tomorrow night, one showing only!

Looking forward to finally seeing this.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw it last night on Long Island, it’s 2hrs and 9 minutes long and their is additional rare live footage at the end after the credits.
    There were about 8 people in the theater.
    The doc is pretty straight forward, starts at the beginning and traces Frank’s moves through the years. Didn’t know initially he ran a music studio in CA that got raided and he got jailed.
    The Mother’s years are well detailed. A little sadness their on how ultimately they were treated.
    I didn’t know he and the band did a residency in NYC in the late 60’s.
    Frank’s dry wit is on display through the whole film.
    The footage of his late concerts after his diagnosis is heart breaking.
    So glad he was able to perform his concerto in Frankfurt at the end of his life.
    Well worth seeing.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks for sharing this. An excellent quote from the review:

It’s a multimedia immersion, filled with rare footage of Zappa from his teenage years on and assembled with the loving dexterity we’ve come to expect from Alex Winter as a filmmaker. When Winter takes on a subject like this one, he doesn’t just explore it; he surrounds and penetrates it. Yet what surprised me about “Zappa” — it’s the source of its emotional power — is that the movie insists on seeing Frank Zappa not from the outside but, rather, in the way that he saw himself: as a deadly serious and obsessive aesthete-musician in freak’s clothing, a man consumed by breaking out of what he viewed as the shackling boundaries of the pop-music business.​

20. vince

This is the first time I've ever said.....I WISH I WAS BACK ON LONG ISLAND!!!

To this day, I can't help but think of the day I 'liberated' all the early Verve Zappa/Mothers records from the Hofstra Radio Station Archives!

Blastproof and JohnG like this.
  21. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I’m putting on a Frank CD as soon as I drag myself home from work tonight. To celebrate.

Instant Dharma and kanakaris like this.
  22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

23. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Wanna use my hanky Bob?

Instant Dharma and englishbob like this.
  24. vince

Big 'ol Soundtrack box!

boboquisp and jawaka1000 like this.
  25. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

@englishbob
    Let Alex explain it to you.

Hi since some folks are upset or confused about why the backers couldn't get the movie before the general public, let me explain a little further than my update yesterday:

I do wish I could have provided the film to backers before the release, but as many of you may recall, none of the Kickstarter funds went to financing the film but only for vault preservation, per the wishes of the backers themselves. Once that work was complete we were grateful to secure financing for the film from a media company. As per usual with independent films, once the film was complete that company made deals for distribution in all territories. So the backers didn't finance the film, and I didn't finance the film, and hence we don't have the ability to 'give' the film away before or right at release, and thus prevent the financiers from first seeing a return on their investment. We simply don't own the rights to do that. What we can do is provide our downloads and physical media to the backers who pledged for those rewards as soon as the 90 day window is complete for the financiers, which begins tomorrow.

In a perfect world this film would be available in all territories around the world at the same time and everyone could see it who backed it. But the economics of how indie movies are made don't allow it.

BeatleJWOL and englishbob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.