Alfred Hitchcock Presents (and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour) - NO SPOILERS, please!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PageLesPaul, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

A definite purchase in October. :righton:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season 1 announced
    Posted by Gord Lacey
    7/21/2005

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced the first season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents for release on October 4, the same day they release Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection, a 15 disc collection featuring 14 films.

The set will contain all 39 episodes (1003 mins), plus "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Look Back," a featurette on the show. The 3 disc set will carry a suggested retail price of $39.98 US. The Full Frame (1.33:1) video will be accompanied by an English mono audio track.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3735

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..this has been one of my most anticipated TV releases! I can't wait for this, I was so desperate for AHP, I got those crummy bootleg AHP DVD's which were sourced from the American boxes..FINALLY!! YES!!!

3. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

which version is it ? the 1980's version or the original?

5. Michael

...original! 80's version? :confused:

6. skipper

skipper Forum Resident

7. Michael

...never saw it! Thanks...

8. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

I still remember watching as a kid the episode in which you had the nurses at a nursing home and there is psychopath strangler stalking them. Of course there was a storm and I believe the power went out. Then at the end, it's revealed that
    one of the nurses is a man and he strangles the last remaining nurse
    . That episode scared the s**t out of me when I saw it. Does anyone remember the name of the episode and which season it appears in?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
    Spastica likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It was one of the later entries in the series at an hour's-length, airing first in 1965. I remember it well as one of the scariest hours of TV I'd seen.

The title is "An Unlocked Window" and it starred Dana Wynter as the "pretty" nurse assigned to take care of a wealthy heart patient. Overworked, she is joined by another nurse, as they all continue to hear about the murders of nurses in the area. Rounding out the population of this big old house are the alcoholic housekeeper (Louise Latham) and her handyman husband, who naturally gets sent out into the stormy night to fetch some needed medical supplies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

I was looking at amazon, and the first three seasons are available. I'm thinking about getting the available seasons soon, just wondering if there are any fans here.

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I love this show.....almost as good as the Twilight Zone. Hitchcock barely had anything to do with the show except the opening.
    Funny story.....hitchock liked Robert Altman's tv work and hired him to direct a few episodes......When Altman was set to direct the second episode, he took one look at the script and said....who wrote this s**T.....turns out it was the producer standing right next to him....which promptly got him fired

12. Michael

count me in as a fan. I love this show. Thrilled to have the first 3 seasons on DVD...hopefully they will not abandon the rest. Chock full of great stories and quality actors! a perfect combination...

13. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Yes, they are fantastic! And there's like close to 40 episodes on each set. I just discovered that on NBC.com one can watch several hour-long episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
    But first things first... those 2 Spirit titles!

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Is 'Lamb to the Slaughter' in this set?

15. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Here's an interesing fact: the "Theme" is taken from "Bolero's" composer Maurice Ravel-it's called "Pavan for A Dead Princess"! Appropiate title for a Hitchcock Production,Don't you think? :agree: Michael Boyce

16. macready

macready New Member

Season 3

[​IMG]

17. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

The Alfred Hitchcock Theme is a melody based upon "Funeral March of a Marionette". This classical novelty was composed in 1872 by Charles Gounod,
    while he was living in England, and was first published there. Hitchcock is said to have selected this piece for his Theme after remembering its use behind the 1927 silent film "Sunrise" directed by F. W. Murnau.

[quoted from a TV themes web site]

18. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

OOPSY...My Bad! Sorry 'bout that...wrong title AND composer! THANX for helping me out on that! (And I'm so good on that..DRAT!!:realmad: ) Michael Boyce

19. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Great show.
    Some episodes gave me the chills when I was a young pup.

20. Michael

yes, and none of that split season crapola!

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

What a coincidence. I went to a video store Saturday and found what I wanted but saw the "TV Shows" section and found the 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' shows. Picked 'em right up!

22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

My wife and I have been renting the Alfred Hitchcock Presents discs and enjoy them a lot. We're still waiting for the episode called "The Open Window" or something like that. I seem to remember it was about a nurse that arrives to take care of an old lady. Both of us were creeped out by this episode when we were kids.

23. A good series...just be careful and hold on to your receipt for the first season. They were done on dual sided dual layered discs and Universal had some manufacturing problems with them. They eventually went to the single sided dual layered discs because of some of the issues.

24. Michael

one of my all time favorite episodes is THE JAR...

25. sadie

sadie New Member

Love this series. Ranks right up there with Twilight Zone for us.

Sadie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.