Alfred Hitchcock Presents (and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour) - NO SPOILERS, please!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PageLesPaul, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

we have 6 seasons on dvd here in Australia! I Love seeing so many well known actors in this !

3. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

It's a very good show. I never saw it until Antenna TV started airing them recently. The first three seasons are also available via streaming from Netflix.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we have 5 seasons on DVD...Hmmm.

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah thats strange ! we don't seem to get new dvds before you that often!

6. Michael

wonder why you guys would get seasons 1-6 and we only get 1-5? there must be a reason of course...love this show! My favorite episode is THE JAR!

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

just hope we get season 7 too

8. Michael

I'm hoping for them all!:goodie:

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Recommend titles?

Just seeing this pop up on netflix, I watched a handful and was shocked at how good a few were.

Netflix ONLY HAS seasons 1-3 right now, so are there any favorites from these early years??

Im fairly impressed with the acting and how it doesnt seem out-dated as some shows of this type from the mid 50s come off. :righton:

10. Michael

I have not been disappointed with any in the 5 seasons I own on DVD...

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Never have watched this. Is it like a Twilight Zone series? Thanks

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no not really! every episode there is a murder sometimes the criminals get away with it and sometimes they don't ! has a lot of high quality actors and pretty good scripts !

13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Just got season 1. 5 episodes in so far.

Really into it. I love Twilight Zone and so far this is right up there for me

I thought "Dont come back alive " and "Our cook is a treasure" were phenomenal

Vidiot likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There were two episodes that I cannot remember the titles....One in which a young (I think) Barbara Del Geddes kills her cheating husband w a frozen leg of lamb. The other had actor Robert Morley (?) as a gourmet who visits an exclusive restaurant and covets to see the lady owner's kitchen. She prepares a special dish every few weeks ;)

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE.
    This is a great idea for a thread but please...
    If you want to do that you should have it in the subject heading, should that be allowed/decided to be that way;
    I think it's a terrible idea to have spoilers on here, a terrible thing; let everyone discover the surprises from the Master of Suspense themselves.
    Many people have seen Alfred Hitchcock Presents but that doesn't mean they know all the episodes. Please think of others. Don't take the fun out of discovering the show for them.

Anyway I just saw The Night The World Ended. I loved it.
    Earlier this week I tried Hulu for free the first time - added the app to my HDTV, but the damn Blu-ray player won't stream it right (so I can't watch it at night in this lousy apartment, due to paper-thin walls),
    but I watched one on TV, the first episode of the series. Revenge, that's the title. Great one. It was the first time I'd seen that shadow and caricature of the intro and him coming out and that music and everything. Just wonderful.
    Took me back to my youth.
    I also saw Premonition which was okay at best I thought, and I saw one with Pat Hitchcock online - I think it was called Into Thin Air - very good episode. I love Pat Hitchcock.
    One I remember well from years ago is the one with Art Carney - Safety For The Witness I think it's called?
    I want to see that again soon.

These need to come out on Blu-ray. I mean some of them, a lot of them, are so fantastic - this is Hitchcock, for Pete's sake!
    And The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (God, these were so beloved by me when I was young) - that's not even on DVD in the U.S.!
    I need region 1 with my cheap crummy Blu-ray player (though not my older DVD player, if I can figure out how to hook up right...) The episode The Jar was my favorite one.
    Hitchcock sure was a genius.
    Before the music was added by Herrmann in Psycho, Hitchcock thought Psycho was a failure, and was resigned to just make a TV show out of it; he changed his mind with Herrmann, and insisted on paying him more - either 2 or 3 times what he was originally getting, I forget.
    What a genius.
    I'm trying now to watch all the movies I can by him, and also watch the shows that I can.

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

All due respect to AH but the main people behind AHP were Joan Harrison and Norman Lloyd. They selected the stories, cast them, chose directors, etc. Also credit to James Allardice, who wrote the wraparounds for AH to deliver.

AH w/ his real life "Hitchcock blonde", producer Joan Harrison.

[​IMG]

AH w/Norman Lloyd

[​IMG]

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hitch always denied he chose any particular episode to direct. He said he was just idle and bored, so he'd see if there was an open episode that he could direct in a few days. But it's hard to believe the 'Lamb to the Slaughter' (your episode) didn't appeal to him plot wise. Hitch also said that doing the TV shows was great practice for filming Psycho quickly and efficiently (and of course within budget).

geralmar likes this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Lloyd said that when AH was free he would ask to see the best scripts, then he'd pick and choose
    Check out "One More Mile To Go" w/David Wayne. It's basically a run through for Psycho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

21. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

The Man from the South, based on a story by Roald Dahl really burned itself into my memory as a kid (pun intended). My favorite episode of the series by a mile. It also just so happens to have great actors as well as a great story (Peter Lorre, Steve McQueen}. I won't say more to avoid spoilers, but enjoy on youtube if you like.

After seeing this episode, I never looked at Zippo lighters the same.
    PS Pt 2 is on youtube as well, if you want to see the whole thing...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  22. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Bill Mumy "Lost in space" has a good Hitchcock story. It is on the web.

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Sort of classic Hitchcock Presents. I found a lot of them had suspenseful plots, but the endings (As Graham Chapman might say) were just too silly.

24. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

The ‘leg of lamb’ story, mentioned above, was also a Roald Dahl story. Dahl’s wicked sense of humor was perfect for Hitchcock.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The 1980s remake was well done, I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.