Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Avery Keen-Garde, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Third Mind the project led by The Blasters Dave Alvin have a guitar version of Journey in Satchidananda on their s/t lp.
    Alongside several other guitar based workouts and folk jazz covers.
    Long version of East West on there too though that's Paul Butterfield Band but might appeal to people here.

jay.dee likes this.
  2. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  3. quindembo

quindembo Well-Known Member

4. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Only just realised how much I like this album. Looked up the vinyl availability, and unfortunately seems like another grail one...

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Forum Resident

It is surprising that this one has never been reissued, when I'm pretty sure virtually all of her other Impulse albums have been...

scarfaceclaw and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  6. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes I think it's her best and at the moment it's kind of my holy grail in terms of finding it used ( of course I can get it online). I've only ran across it a couple times. One was just really beat up I passed, and the other was a odd non-gatefold copy under Alice Coltrane records . I thought this was something she might have sold herself .

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  7. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Forum Resident

Ptah, The El Daoud was reissued in 2004 in Japan (UCCI-9106). The mastering is a lot better than the pumped up domestic Labson remaster from 1996.
    Alice Coltrane - Ptah, The El Daoud

[​IMG]

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

What do you mean by pumped up? Loudness and compression?

9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Forum Resident

The Labson has too much bass and you can't crank it up nearly as far as the 2004 mini-LP. The recording already has enough bass of itself, so increasing it is just too much. The 2004 remastering is more natural. The other 2004 Japanese Alice Coltrane remasters I have heard sound natural as well in my opinion.

Simon A and StarThrower62 like this.
  10. StarThrower62

I just put it on and there is a lot of bass. But I don't really crank this kind of music. The 2004 CD is outrageously priced at this point

11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Forum Resident

Yes, they are currently expensive. And these mini-LPs are not laminated, unlike the 2001 John Coltrane mini-LPs, so even if you were to find a mint copy it wouldn't stay mint long.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  12. EarthMusicJoe

EarthMusicJoe Forum Resident

An absolute genius. She had to overcome a lot of very negative press when she replaced McCoy Tyner as Coltrane was moving towards more free music. I own and enjoy everything she’s ever done and it makes me happy to see a thread like this.

13. StarThrower62

I really like Monastic Trio which I listen to more than El Daoud. And there is some amazing stuff on Universal Consciousness. The last tune, The Ankh of Amen Ra is really cool.

Chris Bernhardt and Willowman like this.
  14. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes, and I didn't even like her with that band. I thought her playing was so dense admist already a sludge of sound. When I heard her solo work it was a revelation