Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AveryKG, Sep 12, 2006.

1. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I saw Alice Cotrane in concert once. I wasn't even expecting her to be there.
    It was in Chicago in March of 1974.
    The gig we thought was going to be John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana in an 'acoustic' show.
    That's the way it started out, the two of them.
    But there were other instruments on stage and after awhile they brought out the 'band'.
    And then they introduced Alice Coltrane and people freaked. It was not know that this was going to be the show.

On the Santanaamigos site they have the band who toured in March listed this way:

Carlos Santana (g/perc/vo), John McLaughlin (g), Alice Coltrane (harp/kbd), Reggie Workman (b), Michael Shrieve (ds), Armando Peraza (perc/vo), Tom Coster (kbd/vo), Jules Broussard (fl/sax)

I'm not sure if the band was exactly like that or not. I know that Reggie Workman was there.
    I remember they played My Favorite Things. Alice on organ. She also played Harp.

This show is not documented at all anywhere I can find. But it happened. It was the Auditorium Theater.

I've always been a fan of all of Alice's work. Especially that run of albums on Impulse!.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

3. pghmusiclover

4. pghmusiclover

5. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

6. pghmusiclover

fuzzbo likes this.
  7. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Superb thread. Recent recording from a fan:

e.s. and pghmusiclover like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Listening to this at the moment. Extraordinary.

Jackie P, e.s. and pghmusiclover like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's how I would put it too. And the sound quality surprised me . . . in a great way.

Electric, Jackie P, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

All recorded by Baker Bigsby, who did her later Impulse and Warners stuff.

Lonson likes this.
  12. pghmusiclover

13. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Got my copy yesterday. The music is really cool, with some nice, even disco-ey rhythms here and there that surprised me. Pity the sound quality is a bit crunchy (first track in particular was recorded quite "hot"). Sometimes it sounds like it was mastered from cassette, even though a 15 ips (I think) reel is depicted in the packaging.

Probably the most interesting thing to me is that amazing version of "Journey in Satchidananda." I always wondered what the actual melody of that track was supposed to be, since (on the original recording) Alice's opening harp part sounds like an ad lib and it segues directly into Pharoah's improvisation. It turns out the first phrase of his solo is Alice's melody.

My only serious complaints are the extra tracks on the LP version that were left off the CD, and the fact that the 50 pages of liner notes don't actually tell you the specific recording dates for the individual tracks!

It reminds me of the otherwise amazing Carsten Meinert release on Frederiksberg a couple of years ago where, again, the liner notes went on and on and on for like 25 pages...but they forgot to identify the personnel for the bonus tracks!

drasil, e.s., Jackie P and 1 other person like this.
  14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Can anyone please comment on the quality of the vinyl pressing? Thanks!

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Mine is pretty much perfect. Clean, flat, quiet, and it sounds wonderful. The packaging is top notch, too. I was really impressed with the overall presentation of this album.

16. pghmusiclover

I concur. I am only disappointed the download doesn't include the two vinyl bonus tracks.

e.s. and Crush87 like this.
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Sweet. Thanks guys.

18. pghmusiclover

For anyone interested, Superior Viaduct, is releasing "Cosmic Music" on May 26th, which includes 2 tracks by John, along with Alice's first 2 tracks as a bandleader. I ordered it from their online store and received it today.

This release includes the artwork that was used on the original private pressing.

John Coltrane / Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music LP - Superior Viaduct

[​IMG]

Track Listing:

1. Manifestation (John)
    2. Lord Help Me To Be (Alice)
    3. Rev. King (John)
    4. The Sun (Alice)

e.s. and Lonson like this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Superior Viaduct did a nice job with A Monastic Trio, so I'll be curious how this sounds.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  20. pghmusiclover

They also did "Universal Consciousness", though I haven't heard that...

It's nice to see them bringing Alice's work back into print.

e.s. likes this.
  21. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I hope that Transcendence gets a vinyl reissue at some point soon.

22. pghmusiclover

23. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I've got an original of this, and it's a good one. I have all but a couple of his Milestone albums, but it would be great if they'd get some quality reissues – they used to be common in used bins, but I think people have caught on to how good they are!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. pghmusiclover