Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AveryKG, Sep 12, 2006.

1. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Would also be keen to hear of any feedback on the VMP pressing, particularly in comparison to an original.

2. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Turiya and Ramakrishna just came up on a YouTube shuffle for me out of the blue.

So I'll need to be buying that album then.

I was just thinking I was about to slow down & catch up with some of my recent purchases & then that happens...

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

fuzzbo, acetboy and mr.datsun like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

6. pghmusiclover

I see there is a new CD (no vinyl) release of Alice at Carnegie Hall in 1971.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

great band

fallbreaks, Comet01 and pghmusiclover like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

According to the Press Release information:

Alice Coltrane, live at Carnegie Hall, New York on February 21st, 1971. On Sunday, February 21st, 1971, a benefit was held in New York's Carnegie Hall for Swami Satchidanda's Integral Yoga Institute, featuring Laura Nyro, the New Rascals, and Alice Coltrane's All-Stars. The latter band was a remarkable coming-together of talent, with Lady Trane joined by legends such as Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp, and Jimmy Garrison on stupendous form (with a little assistance from members of the Yoga Institute). The astounding performance of John Coltrane's "Africa" on this set, finds them improvising thrillingly. Includes the entire WQXR-FM broadcast, digitally remastered and accompanied by background notes and images. Also features: Kumar Kramer (harmonium), Jimmy Garrison (bass), Cecil McBee (bass), Clifford Jarvis (drums), and Ed Blackwell (drums).

I remember reading about this concert in the music mags of the day and I'm fairly certain I recall reading that Alice joined Laura for some of her set, which makes sense since she appeared on her recently released album "Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat" -- I sure would love to hear that live recording! She also might have joined The New Rascals, since she appeared on their album being released that same year ("Peaceful World").

Panama Hotel and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  9. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I was initially thrilled to see this concert was being released, however, my enthusiasm was tempered when I realized that it consists of one 28 min song. I guess they only broadcast this one track and didn't record the rest of the show. :confused:

Setlist:
    Journey In Satchidananda
    Shiva-Loka
    Africa
    Leo

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. pghmusiclover

That is very disappointing indeed...

11. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I found a pristine original for $25 a few months ago. My favorite Alice album, and a top-ten all-time for me. I listened to this last summer while driving around Mt Shasta during sunset. Totally blew my mind.

fallbreaks and pghmusiclover like this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I was under the impression that the albums they used to compile "The Ecstatic Music Of..." were all going to be released separately. Not true?

13. pghmusiclover

Oh, I had not heard that! That would be great news, if true. Maybe I'll send a message to Luaka Bop on Facebook and ask them!

14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Please do
    This was something I heard at the time Ecstatic was released so it's obviously been a bit. Would love some response from them

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  16. pghmusiclover

I just heard from LB and they said it was their intention to do so but they are awaiting approval from the family!

17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Dang! Okay - thanks so much for the update!

18. pghmusiclover

Satchidananda likes this.
  19. pghmusiclover

New compilation of her Warner Bros. albums coming from Real Gone Music. I thought "Eternity" was a great album, but the other two and the double-live album (not included here) were challenging to me. As I've mentioned before, I am very happy to see Alice get some belated recognition!

Alice Coltrane Spiritual Eternal (2CD-Set)

[​IMG]

• The Solo Career of Alice Coltrane Was Marked with the Same Uncompromising Vision, Spiritual Depth, and Fearless Innovation as That of Her Late Husband, John Coltrane

• After Recording Seven Celebrated Albums for the Impulse! Label, Alice Moved to Warner Bros. Records in 1975

• There She Recorded Three Studio Albums, Eternity, Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana, and Transcendence, That Stand Among Her Most Challenging and Accomplished Work

• All Three Albums Featured Alice’s New Instrument of Choice, a 1971 Wurlitzer 805 Centura That Included Pitch-Bending Ability That Alice Used Liberally

• Her Sound Thus Moved Farther Away from Jazz, as the Organ’s Drone Functioned Like a Harmonium

• Her Warner Bros. Records Also Reflected the Increasing Importance of Her Religious Practice in Her Life, Incorporating Singers from Her Ashram Performing Hindi Chants

• These Three Albums Proved to Be Her Final Commercial Recordings of the 20th Century, As She Went On to Release Purely Devotional Albums from Her Ashram, Recently Compiled on The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda

• The 2-CD Set Spiritual Eternal—The Complete Warner Bros. Studio Recordings Marks the First Time This Work Has Been Collected Together

• Beautifully Packaged Inside a 6-Panel Digipak with a 24-Page Booklet

• Notes by Noted Coltrane Scholar Ashley Kahn Based on Interviews with Coltrane Producer Ed Michel and Engineer Baker Bigsby

• Includes Rare Photos and Original Album Credits

• Remastered by Mike Milchner, Engineer on Real Gone Music’s Recent Ornette Coleman Release, Ornette at 12/Crisis

• Produced by Real Gone Music’s Own Gordon Anderson and Acclaimed Jazz Reissue Producer Zev Feldman, Who Helmed the Widely Hailed John Coltrane Release, Offering—Live at Temple University

• A New, Immersive Opportunity to Appreciate and Assess One of the Most Dazzling Bodies of Work to Emerge from the ‘70s

DISC ONE

Eternity

1. Spiritual Eternal
    2. Wisdom Eye
    3. Los Caballos
    4. Om Supreme
    5. Morning Worship
    6. Spring Rounds

Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana

7. Govinda Jai Jai
    8. Ganesha
    9. Prema Muditha
    10. Hare Krishna

DISC TWO

1. Om Namah Sivaya

Transcendence

2. Radhe-Shyam
    3. Vrindavana Sanchara
    4. Transcendence
    5. Sivaya
    6. Ghana Nila
    7. Bhaja Govindam
    8. Sri Nrsimha

sberger, Mr. H, e.s. and 3 others like this.
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I just clicked on the thread, that's cool.

21. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I really wish Vinyl Me, Please would put Journey in Satchidanand back in stock. Or I wish I could buy it somewhere. Seems like it’s out of stock on Amazon.

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have confirmation from Vinyl me Please that their version is “ DMM at GZ from high res digital wav masters. “. I assume any of you all Analog lovers are now out. Im still on the fence for the this VMP version. I am ok w digital vinyl if it is done well. DMM from GZ has some fans And some believe it is workds apart better tgen the garbage 80s DMM. Has anyone picked up this vinyl me please version? And can say if it compares much better to the 80s DMM. ??

Satchidananda likes this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Its back

brownsugah likes this.
  24. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I saw a few days ago. Copped it.

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

How does it sound?