Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AveryKG, Sep 12, 2006.

1. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I haven't received it in the mail as of yet. It's in the process of being sent out. I'll let you know how it sounds, once I receive it.

Stu02 likes this.
  2. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

figured some who follow this thread might enjoy this...

I just bought this 12" record with a tribute/cover of Alice's Journey In Satchidananda on side 1 and Blue Nile on side 2. Both are pretty enjoyable. I don't know much about the artists but bought it on a whim.

pghmusiclover, Comet01 and Electric like this.
  3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Nice!

I have this on CD with track 7 called Tribute to Alice Coltrane:
    [​IMG]

4. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I'm thrilled that you brought this album to our attention!

The artist is selling downloads of the digital version of this album for less than $3.00:
    Journey In Satchidananda, by Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra

personnel:
    Matthew Halsall - trumpet
    Lisa Mallett - flute
    Rachael Gladwin - harp
    Taz Modi - piano
    Gavin Barras - bass
    Gaz Hughes - drums
    Nat Birchall - percussion

Plenty of harp on this release. My only regret is that the session didn't include a tambura player.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Satchidananda likes this.
  5. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I just got it in the mail a few days ago and it sounds very nice.

Joti Cover and Stu02 like this.
  6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Vinyl Me Please just offered me a free record if I reactivated my membership.... a no-braniner! I grabbed Satchidananda as my free record and opted for the Eddie Floyd record for my subscription album.

Satchidananda and Stu02 like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

8. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

The Superior Viaduct label mentioned in an email that there are more Alice Coltrane vinyl re-issues coming in 2019. Hopefully Ptah the El Daoud will be one of them!

They also have a specially priced bundle of Monastic Trio, Lord of Lords, and Cosmic Music for a couple of days. I think they do a pretty good job on their re-issues. Alice Coltrane Vinyl Bundle Superior Viaduct - Superior Viaduct

9. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

I saw her live, maybe around 1971. I was too young to really understand the music, but it's good for bragging rights (same deal with Sun Ra).

10. Jazzphile32

Jazzphile32 Forum Resident

Just added the VMP pressing of Journey In Satchinanda to my shipment of Cosmogramma in January :edthumbs:

Satchidananda likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

conjotter, neruda and Satchidananda like this.
  12. Satchidananda

How is the VMP pressing? Any clues about where it was cut or pressed?

13. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Is there something special about the VMP pressing (AAA perhaps)? Can't seem to find any info on it.

14. Satchidananda

Sadly I don’t think tape for this still exists. I’d love to be wrong about that.

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Just read the page before this.

16. Hayim kobi

Hayim kobi Forum Resident

New article:
    Alice Coltrane's fascinating journey into spirituality inspired her to create emotional albums that resonate many years later. Her albums on the Impulse label feature some of the best jazz musicians of that era, including Ron Carter, Pharaoh Sanders, Cecil McBee, Rashied Ali and others. This is the story of her early career as a solo artist.
    The Story Behind Alice Coltrane's spiritual jazz, 1968-1971

[​IMG]

17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I don't care for the term, spiritual jazz. I just like good music, and I'm an Alice Coltrane fan. She was a very talented pianist. Her harp playing was okay for adding some color, but I never found it to be very inventive overall.

18. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Thanks for posting; moreover, her Warner Brothers material is fantastic as well!

19. pghmusiclover

20. Hayim kobi

Hayim kobi Forum Resident

Of course, how do I do that?

21. pghmusiclover

That's a great article in post #166 -- thanks for posting the link.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. pghmusiclover

It's nice to see virtually all of Alice's catalogue back in print. My favorite of the WB albums is the debut "Eternity", while the last double-live album is one that I just "don't get".

I am hopeful that SOMEONE will SOMEDAY release the final album she was working on at the time of her passing.

24. pghmusiclover

This sounds interesting:

Hi,

In the spring of 2017, sponsored by Boiler Room, we visited the Sai Anantam Ahsram, along with filmmakers Vincent Moon and Priscilla Telmon, to make a contemporaneous portrait of this very welcoming and beautiful spiritual community and speak with the Ashram’s elders, including Alice’s sister Marilyn McLeod. The resulting film, “Ashram: The Spiritual Community of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda,” is now being released online on Boiler Room’s site.

We thought we’d give you a little idea of an earlier visit. The film of course shows you a lot, but I wanted to share my experience:

At the end of a paved road is the sign for the Sai Anantam Ashram. There is a place marked visitor parking, and though I see a few houses, there is no one around. There is a concrete bridge over a rushing stream and I cross it to the temple, the Mandir.

From outside the Mandir I notice music.

I go in.

One guy is playing organ.

A very quiet tape of someone chanting is playing in the background.

Someone else comes in and turns the lights gently up.

The organ playing stops.

A few people file in, dragging instruments that had been put away in cubby holes at the back of the room.

Someone lights incense in front of photos that at the front of the room: Sai Baba and Alice and Ganesh and some Hindu god I don't recognize. They wave the incense in front of larger photos of Sai Baba and of Alice placed by an orange chair, before lighting a candle under a smaller photo of Alice back at the front of the room.

A wreath of flowers is put around the photo Sai Baba by one woman dressed in white and another in red. They bow. Flower petals are thrown at Alice's photo and at the large orange chair.

A man holding a cassette tape stands up and says, "We're going to play a discourse given by Swamini on December 24, 2006.”

The chanting tape stops. Alice’s voice on the tape starts talking.

After about half an hour the tape finishes.

The organist starts playing.

Someone calls out a page number from the song books that are placed at every chair and cushion and everyone starts singing.

This goes on for about 6 songs and then a very clear bell is rung by the man who held up the cassette and the end song is sung.

Song books are collected.

The yellow floor pillows are put back on the shelves at the back of the room.

Candles in front of photos are extinguished.

Lights are turned down.

People walk out.

—Notes taken from our trip to the Ashram...

You can see the film:

ASHRAM: The Spiritual Community of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda - 4:3

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I guess this approval never happened? Would love for more ashram stuff to get out.