Alice Cooper - Special Forces. Thoughts? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Musically, I don't think any are much like the blackout albums, but The Last Temptation and Along Came a Spider are both creepy concept albums so if you like DaDa you might be into those. Brutal Planet is probably my favorite in that range - it's pretty heavy, industrial music with intense lyrical ideas. As mentioned, Eyes of Alice Cooper and Dirty Diamonds have more of a back to roots sound. My absolute favorite of his later albums is the last one, Paranormal. But that's after W2MN so you might be familiar with it already.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agree with your post

mmars982 likes this.
  3. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I agree with the poster above about Raise Your Fist and Yell. Of his 4 "metal" albums, that one is my favorite. Freedom is a great track.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I got all of the "Blackout" era albums as they were released. At the time, I liked Special Forces, but in hindsight I find it a decent, but not great effort. Half good, half meh.

I think if you combined all the best tracks of all the early 80's albums together, you'd have a pretty solid release, though.

Matthew Tate and dkmonroe like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’d welcome a Blackout years box set...the three blackout albums, a full live set, the audio of Alice In Paris, the complete version of Teddy Bear (not the demo), and maybe any rehearsals or outtakes.

6. pool_of_tears

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is it any metal aesthetic that puts you off, or specifically the "hair metal" stuff? If the latter, he stayed heavy but ditched the RAWK thing after the '80s. You might dig some of the '90s and onward material.

I've always had a soft spot for The Last Temptation. Great songs, interesting concept, etc. It's just a really good album all around and its darkness definitely links it at least a little to the blackout albums. Only catch is that it's far more coherent than any from the prior era, so if you need that haphazard angle, you won't find it there.

Likewise, that dark, conceptual thread runs through Brutal Planet and Dragontown. Your mileage may vary here. BP is definitely a direct attempt at late-'90s/early-'00s industrial. It's done well, but if that kind of music leaves you cold, that could sink it. Dragontown isn't nearly as "full on" in the industrial area and it comes off more as just a very dark hard rock album. Both lean heavily on lyrics that I could best sum up as morality plays about evil active in the world. Alice played before with evil, but it was always cartoonish before. On these albums, it's like Vincent Price taking you on a tour of the great atrocities of the 20th century. There's humor, but it's in pockets.

So, bringing it all back home, I think the closest you'll get to the blackout albums are conceptual bits that are similarly dark, but nowhere near as scattered and goofy. Very good, but the blackout era is... kind of its own thing.

Ludger, Matthew Tate and mmars982 like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, there's a discussion in another thread about what is considered "heavy metal" and when it exactly started, so your question is hard to answer :D
    I strongly dislike "hair metal", and generally I don't care for "heavy metal" either (or for what I consider to be "heavy metal"). Regarding 90's and onward Alice Cooper albums, I bought Welcome 2 My Nightmare and I found it to be really bad. I feel the same about Hey Stoopid. After reading your description of the rest of his 90's output, I guess they're not for me either. Anyway, I'm sure they are far better tha those recorded with Rambo on guitar :laugh:.

intv7, Matthew Tate and Runicen like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I ignored this album for a long time because of the stupid cover. It is definitely better than Constrictor (which I bought at the time, even though the cover isn't much better). Lately, I actually have this one which is a best of those two: Alice Cooper (2) - Prince Of Darkness

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is a good (digital only) comp of the 3 Epic albums. Yes, they are better than the 2 MCA albums. It's available on streaming services.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Alice-Cooper-Epic-Years/dp/B07B6GL29Z

(Sorry for getting so off topic. This doesn't really have anything to do with Special Forces.)

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's my take as well. I love Flush The Fashion but Special Forces was kind of a poor attempt to repeat the formula. Knowing that he was as ill as he looked during that period makes those albums kind of hard to listen to now.

Rocketdog likes this.
  12. dkmonroe

The Last Temptation and Brutal Planet are two of Alice's very best solo albums, maybe the best period. Intense is definitely the word.

13. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Like others have said, Special Forces is my least favorite of the 4 blackout albums. It's not his worst (the two "metal" albums are for me), but it's mostly meh.

Rocketdog and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. dkmonroe

I like that one too, kinda begrudgingly. :laugh: It rocks all right. It's kind of self-parody though as well!

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you might as well get the 3 albums which can be found at dirt cheap prices

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gonna give the 4 "blackout" albums a spin right now.

I've always really enjoyed Flush The Fashion. I know Special Forces is my proclaimed favorite, but FTF is a very, very close 2nd.

Let's see how I think all 4 stack up - I've never marathoned 'em before.

McCluth, Runicen, Rocketdog and 3 others like this.
  17. dkmonroe

Please follow up! I'm interested in your impressions.

18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got sidetracked in the middle of but ill let you know tonight :)

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

As a matter of fact, I vividly remember when we watched "Super Duper Alice Cooper", when he started talking about doing vast amounts of cocaine, my immediate response was "Well, that explains Special Forces"

dkmonroe, Blastproof, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The last three "Blackout" albums all rode the cut-out bins for quite a while in the 80's. At the time "Zipper..." was the only one I bought of these three. I did buy "Flush The Fashion" used at a record show in the 80's and it has a number of very good songs. "Zipper" gets an occasional play but it never stuck with me. Finally bought "Da-Da" a few years ago after reading that it was a lost gem. After a few listens I was kind of let down. Not horrible but not that great either. Always hated the cover for "Special Forces". I think that's what's kept me away all these years.

pool_of_tears and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

I like 'Flush the Fashion' and 'DaDa' much better.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. mrbooboy

mrbooboy Forum Resident

I bought Special Forces the day of release and it has always been one of my favorite Alice albums. It was just so full of that Alice "attitude" that I always loved. I'm surprised by the high regard for DaDa in this thread. Of the four albums released during this period, it usualy ranks as my least favorite. That being said, I've always been a fan of this period...and have struggled to find as much enjoyment in the albums that followed.

23. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I've found that Dada gets a surprising amount of fan love as an overlooked gem in Cooper's career. I'd never felt that way, myself, and for many years after it's release, tried, but just couldn't get into it. That said, it's only been in more recent years that I've finally found appreciation for the album.

24. pool_of_tears

25. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

For me, at the time it was released, Special Forces was a cheap imitation of Flush the Fashion - made far worse by the disturbing persona. Nobody wanted that. My buddy bought it, but I didn't like it at all. We were still being led to believe that this was clean Alice, having kicked the beer addiction. If this was sober Alice, then it was not for me.

Fast forward to deep in the mid-90's, and I finally bought a used CD. Listening again, with fresh ears, it seemed like "little lost Alice" - chasing trends that had long passed, trying to be relevant to the punk crowd. Over the years, it has grown on me though, and I enjoy it. Upon learning about his cocaine addiction, I also had the same reaction as Huntigula, "Well, that explains Special Forces." 6/10 from this dedicated Alice fan.

Rocketdog, Runicen, Ludger and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.