Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. éder

éder Forum Resident

Unplugged could have been better in my opinion. It was still great and i love it but imagine if Layne had been at his best.. the songs are tuned down more than the usual half a step to accomodate staley's loss of range and power due to his ill health.
    I also wanted them to perform 'Rotten apple' and 'Don't follow'..

Wasatch likes this.
  2. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

What anomalies does it have?

3. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

We tried a few AIC songs back in my first band in the early 90's - I'm sure they were grim. I wish I studied the guitar more - and 11 years not touching it didn't help either, but when we got a few reviews on my current band's album noting a Cantrell influence on our guitars I was well pleased - although not sure we had that goal in mind (I was just in Sabbath mode lol)

éder likes this.
  4. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident

Well I'm in the process of moving so my vinyl is in the back of a semi right now and will have to go into storage for a couple months sadly. The first 3 songs are all killer, especially Layne's vocals on the chorus right after the solo. INCREDIBLE!

éder likes this.
  5. éder

éder Forum Resident

Nice one.. glad you got positive reviews. Cantrell was influenced by sabbath as you probably know..
    I also never practised as much as i should have done on guitar. It was always singing first - guitar second. I just played rhythm guitar as i sang. I mainly used the guitar as a way to write songs and wasnt interested in the technical side of things.
    But over the last decade i have focused on my guitar playing and improved more than i expected.
    Your Favourite AIC riff ?

ifihadafish likes this.
  6. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Check My Brain? Your Decision? A Looking in View? Hollow? :shrug:

7. ifihadafish

Oh hell - I may need to weekend to chew over that one.

I suspect it will be something from Facelift though.

éder likes this.
  8. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Hey what about Dirt? :shh:

Wasatch and éder like this.
  9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

If you have Music Bank you need nothing else.

10. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

The riffs on Dirt are awesome too, man! :edthumbs:

Wasatch, ifihadafish and éder like this.
  11. éder

éder Forum Resident

What a box set ! But it does miss some great songs

junk and Umbari like this.
  12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

And there's early material on the box you won't find elsewhere.

junk and éder like this.
  13. éder

éder Forum Resident

Nah .. not in my opinion. But i am glad that people like the new stuff

14. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

IMHO Black Gives Way to Blue is a great album. Dinosaurs has some great songs on it, but I don't really like it :shake: btw "Hollow" is super cool!
    :shtiphat:

junk and éder like this.
  15. éder

éder Forum Resident

I'm not saying its not a great album - for me it just doesnt come close to the old stuff with Layne..
    Its like listening to STP without weiland or soundgarden without Cornell.
    AIC aint AIC without Layne.

Wasatch and Umbari like this.
  16. éder

éder Forum Resident

Favourite AIC song of the day is 'Get born again' ! Don't know what it will be tomorrow ..

ifihadafish likes this.
  17. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

But at least we still have Jerry :) Don't get me wrong, man.. but could you imagine AiC with Layne but no Jerry?
    I love Layne too, but Jerry is their primary songwriter/lead guitarist, and Jerry can sing, even though his voice is not as great as Layne's. Just my opinion, of course ;)

ARK and junk like this.
  18. éder

éder Forum Resident

I couldnt imagine AIC without either of them... i like Jerry's voice but he's not a lead singer in my opinion- if that makes sense. He's a guitar god / backing singer.
    I do enjoy a lot of his solo stuff though.

19. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Yeah, man. They're both important.. I don't dig Jerry' solo stuff, maybe later :cool: Hey I have a question for you, what would happen if they didn't recruit Will DuVall or anybody else as the fourth guy? I mean what if they played as a power trio, Jerry-Sean-Mike? :shh:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Wasatch likes this.
  20. ifihadafish

AIC is about that dual vocal going on - so it needs that four piece to continue that. Opinions vary on the success of that - as Layne was quite a fellow to replace. I like the new era, so its okay with me.

Wasatch and éder like this.
  21. éder

éder Forum Resident

I don't know mate.. i don't think that jerry has a voice powerful enough for a power trio.. and i think it would take away something from his guitar playing in a live situation if he was the sole frontman..

22. ifihadafish

How did he operate in his solo band - which had the power trio format in the studio but what did he do live?

23. éder

éder Forum Resident

He had guest musicians when he played live didnt he ?

24. ifihadafish

Seems he had Inez and Kinney? Anyone see a Cantrell solo show to confirm?

25. éder

éder Forum Resident

I never saw cantrell solo live but i would imagine he had a second guitarist ( i may be wrong) .. on the boggy depot album he had guest musicians. On degradation trip it was three members - trujillo and Bordin ( faith no mores drummer) not sure how they played live though...
    Great thread though guys ..always nice to discuss AIC even if we dont agree on everything...

Umbari likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.