Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover! Thread Starter

I have to agree as well, at least on the MOV pressings, I can hear a big difference in his voice on Unplugged compared to the earlier studio stuff, just not the same. Still I'm hoping those two get remastered on vinyl, it would be great.

éder likes this.
  2. Wasatch

Led Zep without Bonham
    The Who without Moon
    Black Sabbath without Ozzy
    Budgie without Bourge

And many others...

At least with me, I tried to continue listening to them, but in some cases just could not, but with AIC I can.

éder likes this.
  3. Wasatch

It could have definitely worked out.

4. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I'm curious about how it sounds like if it's just the three of them :p

Wasatch likes this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

AC/DC without Bon Scott did ok.

Iron Maiden without Paul Dianno did ok.

6. éder

éder Forum Resident

Everyone has a different opinion and i am not saying that AIC shouldnt carry on. I don't hate what they are doing - i like some of the new material and Duvall does an excellent job when they perform original AIC songs. He has a great voice and he respects Layne's memory, he also does justice to songs that are incredibly hard to sing. But to me its like watching a top notch tribute band singer.

The vocalist gives a band a unique sound - i know there are exceptions and lots of instances in rock history that prove me wrong on this - but in the case of Alice in chains i think Layne was too integral to their sound for them to continue under the name AIC... Alice in chains featuring william Duvall or something like that seems more appropriate to me..
    I know not everybody will agree with me and thats fine - its just the way i see it.

7. éder

éder Forum Resident

Were you insinuating that i thought Bon Scott suggested Brian johnson as a replacement from beyond the grave ?!
    What i meant was - Bon Scott was a fan of Johnson after watching him at a gig ..
    I am sure i read this somewhere.. because Bon scott had told the other members of AC/DC about Johnson - he seemed like the obvious replacement. ??

8. éder

éder Forum Resident

Did you know that Alice in chains didnt have anything written before they went into the studio to record 'Jar of flies'. All jerry had was a rough idea for a chorus that became 'No excuses' .
    They just jammed and wrote it all in a week.

ARK, Huntigula, Wasatch and 1 other person like this.
  9. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

That's awesome! Never heard of that story before, thanks :cheers:

Aftermath and éder like this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The iconic singer effect doesn't hold up 100% for AIC just because Jerry's voice is probably 40-50% of the voice you hear.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes zeppelins long career after bonham passed :confused:

12. Matthew Tate

try 1/2. the first 2 albums did not have mike inez on bass

13. Jochen

Jochen Forum Resident

Yep. Jerry's also the primary songwriter, as I'm sure others have pointed out.

And their two post-Layne albums are great, especially Black Gives Way to Blue. It's just as good as their classic material, imo.

Umbari likes this.
  14. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

And I would be right behind you.

Look, the general consensus is that Nirvana was the end-all be-all of Rock in the early 90's. But, much like the British Invasion, I don't follow (no pun intended) what the majority feels. Much like my favorite BI group was the Kinks, then Beatles, etc., my favorite early 90's rock group was AIC (like with thrash, Anthrax was my favorite). I'd even argue the tripod album was just as good as the rest. I think had Sap/Jar of Flies been released as a full album, AIC wouldn't have had one clunker in their catalog.

As for the Duvall stuff, I'm neutral. Don't hate it, but won't go out of my way to purchase it. I got a copy of BGWTB when our radio station was sent a box of promo copies, so I gave it a few listens, it just didn't click with me. I'm happy as hell Cantrell is still writing, and that the band is active when a lot of other groups from back then either hung it up or the second tier groups keep pumping out second tier recordings with one, MAYBE two original members. There was magic with Layne, a metal band that could harmonize just as well as Queen, Journey, Def Leppard...you get it. They truly were a great band, and I miss them tremendously. They were one of few groups my dad and I could truly appreciate together on many levels. He had my JOF cassette in his deck more often than it was in mine. He wanted a burned copy of Dirt. Weren't many other contemporary bands he did that with in my music collection. So there's that for me too. The sad part is, some of these guys were so sick with drugs, that even if they lived, the music might have been substandard if they did anything at all. Like someone posted in another thread, would you really wanna be treated to Nirvana, AIC, Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray and Gin Blossoms for $5 a ticket at your State Fair? I'm glad Layne left us with what he did. He truly was a legend in his own time, and it's a shame he/AIC don't get the mentions other 90's groups do.

All of the above is, of course, IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    éder likes this.
  15. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

You are absolutely right. I have heard the same thing, just can't remember where I'd heard it. BTM maybe.

éder and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. éder

éder Forum Resident

Of course it holds up.. listen to the vocals on the original AIC records with Layne..
    Jerry is very low in the mix.. he sings in a mellow style in the background - as he did live.
    Listen to 'would' for example from the 1993 tour.. jerry's voice is not in the same league as Layne's. Laynes voice dominates virtually every song they ever did..

17. éder

éder Forum Resident

I have listened to 'Black gives way to blue' over the weekend and i'm still not a fan of it.. Jerry and Duvall seem to be trying to mimic Staley's vocals.. Its almost like a tribute band.
    I've also watched some live tracks over the weekend with Duvall singing classic AIC songs and he seems to be trying to sing in Staley's style... why doesnt he use the voice that served him well in 'comes with the fall' ?
    I know its an unfair comparison but Staley had a voice more powerful than Duvall and cantrell put together...

18. éder

éder Forum Resident

A drummer doesnt give a band a unique sound the same way a lead singer does no matter how great Bonham was..

19. éder

éder Forum Resident

Whats the clunker in the original AIC discography ?

20. Matthew Tate

Thats nice, my point was the examples in that post were bands who had careers after a key member was replaced but not zeppelin. They broke up so not sure what the op was trying to say

éder likes this.
  21. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Oh, none of them. I meant it as if there was 4 full length LP's, not 3 and 2 EP's. There isn't a bad recording period. I just meant it in terms of albums.

ARK, éder and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

5 pages of Alice in chains , and a lot of Layne praising, but no mentioning of Mad season yet.
    Do you guys know what your talking about, or did you just forget? :)
    Maybe it's because I think that Mark Lanegan is a better singer. :shh:
    Wake up young men!

[​IMG]

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

24. éder

éder Forum Resident

Love the mad season album and i love the screaming trees.. but i wouldnt agree that Lanegan is a better vocalist .. entirely different singers of course..
    I have 'Dust' on as i type this.. great album..

jawaka1000 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  25. éder

éder Forum Resident

Sorry man ! I thought you meant 'SAP' was a clunker !

Huntigula likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.