Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Great band, better than ever.....live in 2016. Duvall does a great job. Inez/Kinney are great......but Cantrell, just wow!

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Saw them a few nights ago. Jerry handed me a pick, Sean..a drumstick. Amazing show. Cantrell is a legendary songwriter & player, but today, an even greater guy.

3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Back to the original point, there is definitely material out there for Deluxe Editions of both Facelift and Dirt, between demos and live shows.

There is Live at the Moore Theater, which was released on VHS and promo cassette, there are numerous demos and alternate takes...

WolfSpear and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I'd take a standard edition of each, I'm not picky!

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes release that stuff

6. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

If you listen to the newer AIC you'll notice that Jerry is really the lead singer now and Duvall is more of a support player. Smart move on their part because Layne is irreplaceable IMO

Clanceman, éder and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. éder

éder Forum Resident

I ve always thought that Cantrell is one of the greatest rock guitarists ever.. theres not much he can't do with his axe...
    Dave jerden, AIC producer says that he is perhaps the most talented player he worked with and called cantrell 'one take jerry' because he usually layed down his guitar tracks first time and very rarely did a second take on a solo..

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

He is, imo, the single greatest musician to come out of that grunge period. We're so lucky he's still alive & thriving.

Honestly, I can't disagree with your statement. I gave him one of those 'I'm not worthy' bows during a solo the other night. He looked down & chuckled. Such a great guy.

Matthew Tate and éder like this.
  9. éder

éder Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see AIC twice in 1993 - but Cantrell never noticed me - his loss !;)

Vinyl Addict and Clanceman like this.
  10. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It's not about replacing Layne--Duvall's voice has similar qualities but he has his own vocal identity. Jerry has a great voice for harmonies, but it's not dynamic enough to handle lead vocals for almost an entire album.

Clanceman, éder and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my opinion. as long as layne or cantrell is on stage doing the harmonies a fill in with a similar voice can make it sound like AIC

weekendtoy and Clanceman like this.
  12. Vinyl Addict

Anyone have a copy of Black Gives Way to Blue on vinyl?
    Wondering how it sounds. I noticed there is a black press from Virgin, and a blue press from Back on Black (not Back to Black).
    The black press gets some real bad reviews on Discogs. Then with the BoB press, I would be a bit skeptical as well. They don't get the best reviews normally.

Was hoping to get some insight from SHtv.

BTW, someone sell me Facelift!

13. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover! Thread Starter

I have a copy on clear vinyl, there is some surface noise.

14. tom polizzi

tom polizzi Well-Known Member

Saw them last night in Atlantic City. Probably one of the best shows I've ever seen. Extremely heavy and very tight.

15. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I would love to see some expanded reissues.

Obviously, no point in remastering this stuff (pretty loud but well mastered to begin with), but there has to be noteworthy material.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Caught the band tonight in NYC at the Beacon Theater. Never saw them before, was not disappointed. Played for about 90 minutes.
    Alice in Chains Setlist at Beacon Theatre, New York »

I think I would've preferred last night's set as they had more cuts off the last 2 albums but was still a great setlist, no real complaints. Duvall echoes Staley enough and Cantrell is such a rad player and singer that they can't help but have a great show. Certainly hope they do put out another album soon, love the old stuff but I want to hear new tunes also!

davers and Clanceman like this.
  17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Great setlist there. It's a shame the band don't tour Europe more often. It seems they always just do the festivals/support slots whenever they tour here.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Vinyl Addict, post: 14731776, member: 45647]

BTW, someone sell me Facelift![/QUOTE]

I'm 2nd in line. Haven't even looked, but I'm guessing that one is is um....expensive.

19. éder

éder Forum Resident

Facelift is on ebay for £152 and £267 ! Fortunately i still have my original which has hardly seen a needle !
    I didnt know it was worth so much..

20. Vinyl Addict

Most of the ones that pop up on eBay are a Brazilian press

21. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident

I have it on clear vinyl.
    Setlist looks good. Rain When I Die is one of my favorite AIC songs so that would be a nice addition to the tour. That said the song isn't quite the same without Layne's vocals.

22. éder

éder Forum Resident

Oh soz i didnt know that .. is the original colombia vinyl of facelift rare nowadays then ?

23. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident

It is. I don't remember what I paid for mine a few years ago but it wasn't cheap. There are a lot of Brazilian copies out there as well as U.K./European copies.

éder likes this.
  24. éder

éder Forum Resident

.. Duvall does a good job though - i have been unfair to him in the past.. its a tough gig considering Staley was one of the best rock vocalists to ever walk the earth..

25. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

AIC is one of the few bands that IMO continues to flourish musically after the loss of an iconic frontman. It's obvious Cantrell was the brains. Layne was amazing but Jerry is AIC to me. The albums after Layne are fantastic.

Stormrider77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.