Alien / Predator Movies Poll!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, May 7, 2020.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I would have thought Alien would have got a 5th film before Predator, guess gaming / merchandising is better with Predator ( Disney’s logic) one of the new marvel / Disney Comics cover has Predator holding up Iron Man’s head blood dripping. :)

2. alexpop

Disagree regarding AVP.. the 2004 film was excellent.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. Alien, Aliens, Predator & Prometheus. I think the Alien vs. Predator franchise cheapens both franchise and, frankly, they just aren’t good movies.

alexpop and Linger63 like this.
  4. alexpop

The worse film mentioned in the poll imo is ThePredator, even AVP: Requiem had a great opening 20 minutes on the Pred spaceship. I even enjoy Alien : Resurrection.
    I’m a fan of both related genres. A rare thing in this forum ....lol. :D

5. alexpop

Saying that Predator is way better than Aliens....which the production looks very dated with cheap looking sets ... hello Gerry Anderson. :)

6. I’ve got to disagree. They look like the sets for a ‘shake and bake’ colony-exactly what it was described as. Some of the miniature work hasn’t dated well. Some of the sound stage scenes look like exactly what they are as well. You’re also comparing a film that takes place in a South American jungle to one on an alien planet so there’s that.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I can't wait till they make Yoda vs Predator.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. alexpop

Disney want Arnold Schwarzenegger and Adrian Brody in the next Predator film.

Aar Gal likes this.
  9. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Like x 100

alexpop likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Link?

Would certainly be great for Arnold to reprise his role as Dutch Schaffer. I know he thinks very fondly of Predator as a film, rightly so, it's a genre classic and one of his best films along with Terminator 2.

formu_la likes this.
  11. alexpop

www.wegotthiscovered.com

12. alexpop

Apparently a spin on Predators (2010).
    I’m fine by that!!!!

13. alexpop

Predators ( 2010) is pretty good.

14. Chrome_Head

Link doesn't go anywhere for me.

Ehhh--I don't know how I feel about that. Probably already mentioned it somewhere in this thread, but I tried to rewatch Predators last year or so and couldn't get through it all. It was a decent sequel and far better than the Shane Black film though.

15. Chrome_Head

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Here are the votes as of right now:

1. *
      Alien
      205 vote(s)
      90.7%
    2. *
      Aliens
      179 vote(s)
      79.2%

3. Predator
      158 vote(s)
      69.9%

4. Predator 2
      37 vote(s)
      16.4%

5. Alien³
      42 vote(s)
      18.6%

6. Alien: Resurrection
      21 vote(s)
      9.3%

7. Alien vs. Predator
      12 vote(s)
      5.3%

8. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
      4 vote(s)
      1.8%

9. Predators
      8 vote(s)
      3.5%

10. Prometheus
      50 vote(s)
      22.1%

11. Alien: Covenant
      12 vote(s)
      5.3%

12. The Predator
      5 vote(s)
      2.2%
    IMO, this is almost exactly right. (I think Alien 4 is a bit better than the consensus here would have it. Or at least I felt that way 23 years or so ago when I saw it.)

I just saw "Alien" tonight -- in a movie theater! And it looks fantastic. I don't know if it's been restored recently for its 40th anniversary last year, or if this was from an existing transfer, but it really looked sharp. I saw it on a pretty big screen at an non-profit art/repertory house, but I know AMC has picked it up, so I would imagine it's pretty widely available. If you get a chance to see it, don't hesitate.

It had been a long time since I'd seen it, and in the meantime I had seen "Aliens" several times, coming to believe it to be one of those rare things, a superior sequel. It's not though. Not that "Aliens" isn't awesome; it is. But it is highly derivative, to a degree I'd not remembered. Just about every storytelling element (but for the military deployment) appears in the original. The setting, the motion detectors (which actually come from Howard Hawks's "Thing"), the creature (of course), the sinister corporate mission -- all of that is in "Alien." What "Aliens" brings is souped-up weaponry, an inversion of the android's role, and more aliens. Plus great pacing. But not much that's original.

By the way, what the heck is "The Predator"? Some remake?

17. alexpop

The Predator?
    The 2018 film was a reboot.
    Don’t agree with voting myself.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, Aliens tends to be rated as the best movie in the franchise, but I can't get away from the fact that it's simply an action movie with some good one-liners. Alien on the other hand is something special all around. They did in fairly recent times release Alien in 4K, so a new restoration was done, perhaps that's what you saw? Anyway, I remember first seeing it at the cinema on its initial release, and man what a ride!

The reboot of Predator is terrible in every single way. It is dreadful. From the actors, to the plot, to the action sequences - do you know how to stop a Space Craft? You jump on it as it flies passed... WAH? I mean, damn.

SBurke and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Jump on”
    But there is a catch, the protective shield .. slices anybody not under the shield. Decapitation. Lol :D

Vaughan likes this.
  20. alexpop

Alien is way more classy ie Classic!!!
    That and Predator (Arnie ) are the two best ones in the poll!!!!

Vaughan likes this.
  21. alexpop

Splitting hairs here, but I do prefer AVP: Requiem even more than The Predator. All the hype for this film before it came out. Shane Black you let Predator fans down( and you can’t blame Olivia Munn ).

22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I chose Alien, Aliens, Predator & Predator 2 as my top 4. If the poll was setup as a top 5 I would have chosen Alien 3 (Assembly Cut).

There's nothing more to say about Alien, Aliens & Predator as all three are classics in their own right. As to why I chose Predator 2 over Alien 3 comes down to a few reasons. The first being Alien 3 Theatrical Cut is quite brutal to watch in comparison to the Assembly Cut. The second is I have a soft spot for the cheesy, over the top cast of Predator 2. In a way the movie kind of reminds me a bit of Robocop with the out of control city and the violence obsessed news reporters.

The rest of the listed films I would rather forget.

Jerk The Handle and Vaughan like this.
  23. alexpop

Aliens looks way dated, but great cast.
    Top 3
    Alien
    Predator
    Predator II

24. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Misread that as Yoko vs Predator. That would've opened up some interesting possibilities.

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

First in line for the tickets for that one!