Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agreed. 3D can't make a bad movie good, but it can make a mediocre movie much more entertaining.

When I initially saw "Pacific Rim" and "Monsters vs. Aliens", I saw them theatrically 2D, and then saw 2D again on Blu-ray.

Eventually I splurged on cheap 3D Blu-rays and liked them much more when I watched them at home in that format.

Again, the 3D didn't suddenly make them great films, but it added to them and I enjoyed the flicks much more...

SandAndGlass and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. Oatsdad

I would advice "Basic Stubs" only for people who live too far from an AMC - or who dislike their local AMC(s). If you have a good AMC close by, you should go with the paid Stubs at the very least - the benefits add up much more quickly under that plan, and since you can use your benefits to pay for renewed membership, it literally pays for itself.

I think that standard Stubs members have to pay for online purchases, but Stubs paid don't, so that's another big financial incentive if you like to buy online/app.

A-List is really the way to go. All the benefits of paid Stubs and cheap movies as long as you go to at least 3-4 a month.

Anyone who likes movies and has a convenient AMC should go A-List!

SandAndGlass and Davidmk5 like this.
  3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I could not agree more I also love 3-D & use the AMC free program on tuesdays $9 is not too bad for a 3-D film ............ I too saw the Nutcracker & was Amazed by the Depth of it , same with Captain Marvel & Alita .
    They updated my AMC a few years back so both the Picture & audio are A++++ I as someone who watched ALL my movies at home started going again maybe 2 years ago on a regular Basis , i may go out on a tuesday & see 2 movies in a row & it's so worth it .
    I almost went & saw Alita again last night but $17 for a movie i already saw seemed crazy .............. fighting the urge gain tonight :agree:
    If my AMC was not 3 towns over i'd gladly pay for the Upgrade on membership , sadly we have a rundown overpriced Regal about 8 minutes from my house ...... :cry:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is unfortunate. I got real lucky. They built this AMC theater years ago, behind an older existing shopping center. That was right before stadium seating came out in all the newer theater's which were being built.

A few years back, they closed down the theater, which is right by where I live and remodeled it into a dine-in theater.

The only other one in Florida is at Disney World.

The remodeled theater had a left and a right wing off of the lobby, with the concession stand in between. After they remodeled, they made the right side of the theater the adult side and would not let anyone in that was under 18, even older kids with parents.

The remodeled theater has far less seats with nice wide leather seats and about a 20" buffer between seat pairs. The seats on the left side of the theater, the family side are rocking seats while the seats on the right side are electric recliner's. It is at least 4' between the front of the seat and the seat back in the row in front of you.

All the seating now is reserved and there is a bar in the lobby. Everything is table service, so the theater is real nice.

With the A-List, I can see three movies each week, 3D included and I can catch an extra non 3D movie on Tuesday's for $5.

The AMC web site is pretty terrible to navigate as it bounces you around to other theater's and movies that are not playing at ypur local theater. Just have to get used to it.

The site has been screwed up for a few days now and bookings are not going through and are being bounce as timed out.

After getting tech support on the phone, I learned that I can book through fandango.com and by selecting the Stubbs membership info before checkout, you can enter your Stubbs ID number and it will book your three weekly movies free and without a convenience fee. This is good to know!

I had to book yesterday's and today's movies on Fandango, and it worked perfectly.

As @Oatsdad suggested, it is worth the $20/yr. for the 2nd tier of Stubbs membership, if you don't do the A-List option, to avoid the booking convenience fees.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'd be Happy if they'd update my Regal & find some sort or program like AMC which maybe i'll end up buying into next fall , i don't go as much during the summer so it may not be worth it , It's a nice theatre just wish it was a hair closer .

I ended up going to see Alita again last night , i really wanted to catch it 1 more time in 3-D ....... I really do enjoy the film , it's a good 2 hours Escape from life :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

It's interesting, here is a RT approval rate from back in February, when it opened.

The audience score is 92% with just over 6k ratings.

[​IMG]

Currently it has an RT audience approval rate of 94%, with over over 27k reviews.

Curious, that Captain Marvel, with over 500M at the box office in less than one week?

Yet, it only has an audience approval rating of 62%, less than 2/3 with just under 67k reviews.

(Imgur is refusing to upload my images).

Davidmk5 likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Side topic: gonna be interesting to see if Regal does their own "pre-pay plan program" like AMC.

I'd think they'd have to eventually, as they must be losing business to AMC...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

I would agree with you on that. I have not heard of any program from Regal. They have a nice theater not too far from me.

I looked up online and came up with the Regal Crown Club.

Doesn't look like much?

Seems to have some "reward's" program, which you get with credits when you buy movie ticket's.

You basically get these same type of rewards through the different AMC Stubbs program's.

Since I upgraded my Stubbs membership to the A-List before the end of last year, if is $19.95/mo. for me, through the end of the year. The price increase for this year is only $2, though.

For that, I can get 13-movies each month. I don't think that I can beat this deal. And, as I mentioned, we have the only upgraded dine-in theater in Florida, other than the one at Disney World, 3D movies included.

Plus, I can get up to four extra Movies on Tuesday's for $5/ea.

With the A-List, you also get, "AMC Stubs Premiere™ benefits are complimentary for A-Listers. Enjoy 10% back on food and drink purchases, FREE size upgrades on popcorn and fountain drinks and priority lanes at the box office and concessions."

They also offer some extra deals at their AMC Classic theater's (I don't know what their "Classic" theater's are)?

I could not even think that Rega could compete next to an AMC theater with AMC's A-List deals.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Domestic take will probably wind up in the $84-86 million range.

Actuals
    Feb 14: $8.716 Million
    Feb 15-21: $39.964 M
    Feb 22-28: $16.550 M
    Mar 1-7: $9.914 M
    Mar 8-14: $4.775 M

Total: $79.921 M

Final Estimate: $84-86M

bluemooze and Davidmk5 like this.
  10. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

seriously Alita fanboys were the main reason RT had to change how people rated movies .....

11. radickeyfan

and truthfully if you think that there is any chance of this bomb of a film getting a sequel , you are delusional or on some serious things you shouldn't be

12. SandAndGlass

Perhaps you can explain that?

13. radickeyfan

14. radickeyfan

15. radickeyfan

16. SandAndGlass

Not really concerned with "Max Kennerly" on "Twitter" opinions.

People on RT vote the same way before Alita than after Alita.

She started out with a 92% audience approval rating when the film opened. She now has a 94% audience approval rating.

Seems to be rather consistent over the entire past month.

I don't make decisions as to whether or not sequel's get made.

So far, Alita has brought in $385M worldwide. There are those in the majority that don't share your pessimistic views.

It's interesting, because most people in the industry would not consider a movie that cost 170M to make and has made 380M to date, a "bomb".

Deuce66 and Davidmk5 like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

It's noteworthy that the "Troll" issues, for good or bad, have everything to do with CM and nothing to do with Alita, which had it's release three weeks before and began to garner its approval ratings from the beginning.

Rotten Tomatoes just made major changes to its audience rating system protocol. Fans will no longer be allowed to post reviews or leave comments before films and TV shows are released, due to recent trolling attacks on some movies, including Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Star Wars: Episode IX.

On Monday, Rotten Tomatoes announced new audience rating rules in a blog post. These changes are in line with one of its goals, which is to, “More accurately and authentically represent the voice of fans, while protecting our data and public forums from bad actors.” By tweaking its audience rating system, Rotten Tomatoes aims to reduce troll attacks and “non-constructive input” on movies and TV shows.

On RT, Alita's fans have spoken in favor of her from day one and their approval of the movie has not faltered one bit.

Interesting concept, having audience's actually commenting on movie's that they have actually seen.

Deuce66 and Davidmk5 like this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yeh Regal lost my $$$$$ whne AMC started $5 tuesdays , if i go to regal it will be $15 so it's worth the drive & Amc now has the Cameo popcorn & soda deal on tuesdays for $5 so if i go see 2 movies on a tuesday night & get that Popcorn/Soda deal it's the price on ONE film at Regal .............
    I was at Regal 4 times a month when moviepass was a thing ............... even showcase cinemas has $8 tuesdays ....

I have the real card & yeh you earn points you can later trade in for snacks , movie tix or merch but it takes too long to get a free movie & it doesn't come close to the free AMC program at all with the $5 tuesdays .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I suspect that as a series debut, ALITA didn't have the built-in audience of tens of millions of fans of an MCU installment, among them a small gaggle of self-appointed purity experts and moral guardians eager to pounce on anything that sets off their hair-triggers.

Deuce66, Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's important to break down the source of that gross revenue and how much the studio actually gets.

To date:

Domestic: $80.441 million x 50% = $40.2 M
    China: $127.458 x 25% = $31.86 M
    Foreign: $177.63 x 40% (mix of countries and %'s-avg.) = $71.05 M
    Total: $143.11 M

Production costs: $170 million including tax incentives + an estimated $100 million on worldwide marketing, they are still $127 million in the RED. The box office run is winding down so there isn't much left to add there. I don't know how much a $400 worldwide gross type film can expect to make in post release (On demand, streaming, 4K-Blu Ray/DVD, TV rights etc...) but I doubt it will be enough to make up the difference.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Don't much care about the numbers, the films I enjoy the least often make the most money. :D

Just watched this and had a really good time. Alright, it gets a little soft toward the end, and she's not as battle-hardened as she's supposed to be. Oh, and the fact that the movie is clearly only half a film..... but what there is at least was a good time.

It's a tough market for superhero type films, what with Marvel cornering the market. But hey, this one worked for me. :)

Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

Glad you enjoyed it. The money that a movie makes at the box office has not bearing at all on how much I enjoy the movie.

I am really looking for a sequel because, from what I am understanding, Alita is a complex and developing individual.

I think the next chapter will open up and explain things a bit more.

Alita is at 394M worldwide box office to date.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If it doesn't get a sequel, then sadly it'll be quickly forgotten, since the story doesn't conclude. Still, she was a likable character, and while the story didn't bring anything new to the table, it was at least engaging. There's a lot of room to expand on things, and if they do I'll definitely watch it.

Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I was surprised my AMC is running it for this week again & i checked tonight's showing on the map for 7:30 & it was half sold ........

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

This is the final week at my local AMC.

Davidmk5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.