Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I just looked ahead at my AMC and they have it booked at least til thursday the 28th out here , so at least another week , it seems to be doing some business each night .
    I'm about an hour outside of Boston ........ I'm surprised it's still playing , guessing it will be knocked out when DUMBO hits .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Alita is still playing at 2 of the 3 Regal Cinemas here in town until 3/28, where it will only have one showing at one theater that evening. Starting 3/29, it looks to be gone.

Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Nice domestic run.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

41% drop from the previous week - not bad actually

5. SandAndGlass

I'm guessing that it will hit the 400M mark after the weekend.

Deuce66 likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this in 3D . Enjoyed the visuals and CGI girl. I had the hots for Alita so it made the trip worthwhile. They should have marketed this to 12 year old boys and had a hit. She was pretty amazing. No more 'dead eye" syndrome. Between the mediocre 3D presentation (what the hell, it was $3) and the CGI wizardry AND my dirty glasses, I wouldnt have guessed it wasn't a real girl except for the big eyes. That said...

The script stunk on ice. It should have been Alita: Battling Exposition. Jesus. If people would shut up for a minute explaining about how to get to Vallahalla or who the evil Zork was, I might have had less of a headache over the clunky dialog. All Robert Rodriguez are cheezy this way. He must do some screenwriting. Storywise: Eh. Nothing new, but I did like the "Eyes Without a Face" suggestion of "daddy" Being a serial killer. That was dark. Visually, I'm getting a headache, I'll call "Ready Player One" syndrome. I find the the synthesis of video games and movies annoying, but I'm sure it's like rice pudding to a half billion gamers. The "Rollerball" sequences in this film looked just awful. Like mid-way Tron and too much like the recent Spielberg one -- especially the huge thug characters -- exactly the same!

Oh here is something that P*ssed me off. I got there ten minutes early and saw a trailer for the Army's "What will your origin story be?" tag-lined commercial. I knew it! If anyone bothered to read my piece (I think it was the thread on M Night's latest, "Glass") that if there is, indeed, a hidden subtext to comic books (as Night uses as a basis of his films), I say it is that they are thinly-veil tracts that are a paean to battle and war, Superman himself having crash landed to battle Der Fuhrer and now ... after all these tie-ins and mythology and heroism and legends pumped out my the cinema -- one of the most influencial forms of media to shape a culture --- and aimed a getting kids to dress up like Tony or Cap America ... the studio who owns, ahem, Disney, protectors of innocence and dreams , are letting our modern American mythology (let's not kid ourselves, Marvel heroes are more ingrained on our psyches than any religion is, these days) are letting the military tap into this preciously nurtured mythology to recruit young me into war Well, isn't that just dandy?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

From the trailers, and as an ex-12 year old boy, she pushes my buttons too because she resembles the similarly hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead! :D Still waiting for home video release...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

I think the best part of the movie was Alita herself.

From when we first see her whole, waking up in a conventional bed, with a close up on her face, he looks so cute.

All of that sequence is so natural, as she realizes that she is alive and a whole person again.

Her amazement and curiosity as she looks and her hands and arms, the goes to the mirror to look at herself.

Alita's box office has just surpassed 400M.

Deesky and Deuce66 like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

OOohh. Ramona Flowers :love:

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Domestic Actuals

Feb 14: $8.716 Million - 3,790 screens
    Feb 15-21: $39.964 M - 3,790
    Feb 22-28: $16.550 M - 3,802
    Mar 1-7: $9.914 M - 3,096
    Mar 8-14: $4.775 M - 2,374
    Mar 15-21: $2.811 M - 1,696
    Mar 22-28: $1.673 M - 1,439
    Mar 29-Apr 4: $0.750 M (Est.) - 676 screens

Total: $85.15 M

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. StarOfElyon

StarOfElyon Active Member

I found this thread while searching for ALITA images. I adore this movie. Alita is such a treasure. She's sweet. She's strong as heck. She fights to find her true, authentic self. She falls and she keeps fighting, even with just one arm. She never gives up. Her literal and metaphoric growth in this movie was won my heart. I love it so much. I'm glad it will make it's money back. I'm looking forward to the sequel since Cameron holds the rights and I know this is his passion project.

SandAndGlass and Deesky like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

While it may not made a profit as such, I feel optimistic about a sequel.

I feel that Cameron was fully aware of the money invested into the cost of production.

But I also feel that he did so with perfect awareness that the technologies that cost a great deal of money to bring Alita to the screen were also the same technologies that he intends to use in his Avatar Sequels.

Otherwise, I doubt that he would have spent the money on the motion capture and CGI that he did with Alita.

Also, when technologies are initially developed it cost more than to make use of those same technologies again in the future.

If Alita would be remade, perhaps she would cost around 120M instead of the 170M that she cost the first time.

With a box office of over 400M, the is by no means a failure and with a lower cost sequel, then an Alita franchise is a definite possibility.

I also agree that Alita is a special character.

Deesky likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

bluemooze and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

Deuce66 likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Seems to be an industry trend, trying to lead people away from physical media to a streaming model?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Blu-Ray information

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D Blu-ray

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    • Alita's World – get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
      • The Fall – a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita's return 300 years later.
      • Iron City – Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
      • What it Means to be a Cyborg – hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
      • Rules of the Game – A high-octane "crash course" in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
    • From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro's beloved manga, "Gunnm," and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
    • Evolution of Alita – how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
    • Motorball – go inside Iron City's favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
    • James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A moderated by Jon Landau.
    • Robert Rodriguez's 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate – a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
    • 2005 Art Compilation (2019) – James Cameron's original compilation of concept art for the then-titled "Battle Angel: Alita," presented with new voiceover and music.
    • Scene Deconstruction – view three different stages of the production – the original live-action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX from four different scenes
      • I Don't Even Know My Own Name
      • Just an Insignificant Girl
      • I'm a Warrior Aren't I?
      • Kansas Bar
    4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
    • Audio: English Dolby Atmos, English DTS-HD MA 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
    • Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
    [​IMG]

19. SandAndGlass

Looks like Alita is #2 behind Captain Marvel on pre-order's already.

MOtorball has "rules"?

Looking forward to seeing more behind the scenes performance capture with Rosa Salazar.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wonder whether or not they're going to be able to use these digital assets to go and make additional stories? Obviously not another film, but I wonder if they can make television with them.

22. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

there is not one large media company , that will want to associate it's brand with this film , at this point

24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Interesting, since the article itself points out the dichotomy in that here:

Its politics aren’t subtle, but become even more blunt when articulated by its cast and crew. While Salazar earned little of the press attention devoted to Larson earlier this year, her repeated insistence in interviews that Alita marked a major step in Latinx representation in film weren’t very different from the kind of thing Larson was so aggressively pilloried for. “We’re here to stay, baby,” Salazar told Variety earlier this year. “Ain’t no wall going to keep us out... just being a Latinx actress at the helm of something like this in itself is a message. You know I carry my name with me wherever I go. I’m Rosa Bianca Salazar, and this is the next wave of Latino casting.”

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I actually think the idea might be much more commercially-successful as a TV series... but it'd be very expensive to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.