Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, what will likely be the best ride is not open yet, and the Falcon ride has not really gotten great reviews.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I have an inside source at Disneyland who says there's a lot of grousing about that, plus word is that heads are gonna roll. His guess is there will be "discount coupons" offered by September that will radically slash ticket prices. I refuse to go until that park is finished in January 2020.

radickeyfan likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can dig that. ; ) come on admit you are going to watch the movie as well...LOL.

4. Vidiot

Naw, once was enough, but I did see it in the theater, paid close attention, and didn't like what I saw.

thegage and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

gotcha...: )

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Huh? Are we talking about the new Star Wars park at Disneyland? If you’re referring to the news article that said galaxies edge has turned Disneyland into a “ghost town” they were talking about the fact that everybody who goes to Disneyland now goes to the Star Wars exhibit and the REST of the park is a ghost town.

I’m not particularly excited about the ride that they have going because it’s one of those stupid simulator rides where you get into a big thing in a couple of hydraulic pistons shakes it around while you watch a stupid movie. Everyone of those rides sucks. It’s suppose to reproduce the sensations of an amusement park ride but it’s not the same thing and it throws out my sacroiliac. Disney loves these devices ... I rhink theyre crap. You can climb into the same kinda ride in malls . They havent updated their ride tech in 20 years. I‘m much impressed by real moving rides, like the Indiana Jones ride, those are actually fun.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It is interesting how you take it upon yourself to place a political label on a movie, that has nothing to do with any politics at all.

Michael and Deesky like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The facts on the ground show the opposite. Apart from various other reporting on how sparsely visited Galaxy's Edge is, there is video from a person that spend several hours there on a sunny Saturday showing nearly empty streets at midday, empty public seating and hardly anyone queuing at the concession stands. Even the main attraction didn't require much waiting time. In fact, the biggest queue was to get into the cantina/bar! :)

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. I watched this yesterday, sad to see Cameron hasn't recovered since Titanic.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

and why is that?

11. Michael

NOTHING AT ALL...geez.
    granted now most do lately and it sucks royally... but not this!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Because he hasn't done a single good movie since then. Actually, he has only done a single movie since Titanic and it wasn't good, few movies have bored me so much in a movie theatre like "The Smurfs on Clembuterol +++".

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

gotcha...I wasn't a fan of the love story in Titanic but it was a wonderful movie!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I got the 4K dic on Wednesday and a friend came over to watch it.

I think it was better the second time.

HE thinks it's the best "cyberpunk"-ish film he's seen committed to film.

I think once Netflix gets this that it'll become a cult classic.

The fight underground with Grewishka, after Alita has been very damaged and she delvers a line that should be up there with "I'll be back" and "Yipee Ka Yi!"

Plus how JC reaches Zolom is excellent.

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wonder if Netflix will get a shot at this since 20th Century Fox is now part of Disney. Alita needs to do well in the home market to justify a sequel(s), if Disney wants to generate licensing fees Netflix will be the way to go.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Yes, Universal is the same way: "generic" rides that they can swap out with a few sign changes and cosmetic additions. You're basically sitting in a moving car watching video playback. Not that innovative.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's a short video explaining The Fall and Alita's origins, this synopsis alone would make a great movie. This clip is one of the many extras in the home release.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I see that Alita will be hitting Crave here in Canada over the weekend, for those who haven't seen it and before you watch check out the Blu-Ray bonus features that provide some background info on Alita and her world.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The US HBO debut is on Feb 1. Apparently HBO has a deal with 20th Century Fox that extends to 2022.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Better than Mortal Engines for sure.

Deuce66 likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I didnt/Don't know a thing about The 'Alita' thing. Beside the fact that we have, yet another, cinematic vision of a bleak mechanical future, I thought it was terrific! I think there'll definitely be a pt. II!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. A hammer, dropped from the roof onto your head, is better than Mortal Engines....I had better hopes for that movie, but it was not to be.

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  23. Vidiot

Ooooh, that's a low bar. But is Alita better than Cats?

Why don't we do an entire movie about robotic cats battling bad guys in a world of the near-future? :laugh:

Well, Avatar did make $2.79 billion dollars, was nominated for 9 Oscars (and won 3), and also won several dozen other critical awards around the world:

List of accolades received by Avatar - Wikipedia

I personally think Avatar's plot and characters were flawed by a lot of stereotypes and predictable situations ("you are not in Kansas anymore!"), but I think it was an entertaining popcorn film with amazing visuals. Not a great movie, not a horrible movie, but an influential film that made a lotta money. I don't think Alita qualified for any of those accomplishments.

radickeyfan likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

My favorite female leads in 2019.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Vidiot wrote the following as part of a post:

Wasn't there a proposal on Saturday Night Live for a sketch involving laser cats? In it, everyone fights with cats that fire laser beams from their mouths.

Of course, there is an anime named Samurai Pizza Cats which features cyborg cats that fight crime and who also deliver pizza by being fired out of a giant gun that sends them into town. It appears they live in a slightly futuristic town (called "Little Tokyo" in the U. S. dub) and fight a crime organization led by The Big Cheese.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.