Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You're a long way from Earth deleted scene.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Alita along with that horrific looking cat are on the short list for Best Visual Effects for the 92nd Oscars.

92nd OSCARS SHORTLISTS

VISUAL EFFECTS
    Ten films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 92nd Academy Awards. The Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the shortlist. All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts from each of the shortlisted films online or attend satellite bake-off screenings in January 2020. Following the screenings, members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Alita: Battle Angel”
    “Avengers: Endgame”
    “Captain Marvel”
    “Cats”
    “Gemini Man”
    “The Irishman”
    “The Lion King”
    “1917”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Terminator: Dark Fate”

Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that she is one pretty kitty.

MEOW!

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

wow ! i would love to see them win an award or two , i really loved this film , the Visuals were great & the 3-D looked stunning .

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

Agree. I think the visuals of the overall movie were very impressive, along with the 3-D.

How they rendered the performance capture with the Alita character was superb (whether or not you liked the movie).

Same goes for the CG fur on the cats, the effects were outstandingly executed.

Deesky and Davidmk5 like this.
  6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I loved the movie as well , i went and saw it 2 weeks in a row at the theater , the 3-D was outstanding ! it's a film i was hoping we'd see it become a big success so they'd follow it up with another .

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

SandAndGlass and Davidmk5 like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I thought Zapan was really well rendered, excellent detail.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nice win for Rosa.

Jon Landau

Last night, on behalf of Rosa Salazar, I attended the Hollywood Critics Association Awards where Rosa had been nominated for Best Performance of a VFX or Animated Character. Not many producers can call their lead actor to let them know that they beat out fellow nominees Robert, Tom, Josh and Ryan for an award. That is Robert as in De Niro, Tom as in Hanks, Josh as in Brolin, and Ryan as in Reynolds. Congratulations Rosa. Well deserved. HCA, thanks for a great night.

[​IMG]

Davidmk5, neo123 and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

Well, I do have to say that I liked the visual effects with Rocket Racoon.

[​IMG]

And I can't forget another kitty from 2019.

[​IMG]

Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Hard to beat Rosa's performance as Alita.

[​IMG]

Davidmk5 and Deuce66 like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

I don't think there is any doubt that if Alita were to be remade again today, that it could be made for 2/3's of the original budget.

Just like any movie with leading edge visual effects technology, developing the technologies and applying them in the first place is very costly.

Once this has been achieved, then movies can be made integrating these technologies for far less that it cost to originally develop them.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cameron spent the money on Alita, developing these technologies with the full intention of using them in his future Avatar sequels.

Chris DeVoe, Davidmk5 and Deuce66 like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed, a lot of the new tech was developed between Lightstorm and Weta Digital to be shared across multiple projects (Alita/Avatar sequels), did they inflate Alita's production budget and allocate more costs just to get them off the books and possibly create a tax loss situation that can be applied against the assumed gains that will be coming from Avatar? Only they know for sure. As it stands today there are no plans for an Alita sequel.

14. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

If it makes the final cut, my money's on 1917.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

It's a shame, that Alita was made the sacrificial lamb in Cameron's ventures.

Making in excess of 400M does say that the movie was well received. I am curious about its reception to streaming and home media with regard to those who did not see Alita in the theater.

With all of the absolute crap repetitive franchises handed to us by Hollywood, there is so much that original Alita can bring to the screen.

You have a movie that was well received by audiences and well rated by those same audiences.

I think that it would be stupid for Hollywood to abandon future Alita movies, when they have a solid base from which to expand.

They need good direction, good screenwriting and most of all, they need Cameron to take a hands off approach.

Given the opportunity, there is no doubt in my mind that Rodriguez can make a good, if not exceptional future Alita movies.

AND, do them within a reasonable budget. They have Rosa and so many elements in place already.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree 100% and i really hope it happens , the right team can take this world and expand on all of it to those of us who loved it , Hopefully they see the Fanbase as something they can indeed make a good showing for a 2nd run with a lower Budgeting .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hollywood has nothing to do with it, Disney will decide if it's worth pursuing or not. Rodriguez has already moved on to another project that's going to eat a couple of years of his life so he won't be available. Cameron's Lightstorm has the movie rights to Alita so I can't imagine him being hands off when it comes to this property, if Disney balks he could always shop it around to another studio unless Lightstorm is contractually tied to the hip of 20th Century Fox (Disney).

Davidmk5 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Collectables have come a long way from cheap plastic figures. For Alita fanatics only.....from Queen Studios who have some amazing looking products.

Alita Battle Angel Collectibles - Queen Studios

$2,750 regular edition or $3,300 with removable heart!!!

[​IMG]

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

I guess that I would have to spring for the extra $500 for the removable heart. Just would have to have the removable heart.

Unfortunately, the link goes to a page with two "not available" $900 busts.

But the ones that you mention sure are cool!

I have seen some reproductions of the Lost in Space B9 robot. "Danger Will Robinson".

How cool is this? Of course, you would need to have some spare change in the amount of $24,500 laying around.

[​IMG]

Then this guy in Korea builds himself a Scarlett Johansson robot. Better than the real thing, less maintenance (and stops talking on command). :)

[​IMG]

Here is a YouTube video.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I wonder if Disney would try to produce a min-series for their streaming platform with something like this Or a movie that hits their streaming & limited theaters at the same time ...... I guess time will tell .

That bust is UNREAL , if i had way too much $$$ i'd have one on a shelf :shh::wave:

Deuce66 likes this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Where's my Cherry 2000? ;)

SandAndGlass and jpelg like this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The $900 is the initial instalment for when they start taking pre-orders.

No Alita in this video but it gives a very good idea of the scale and quality.

23. SandAndGlass

I think what they did with the character of Zapan visually, was nothing short of amazing.

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Posted on Elon Musk's twitter account, I guess he's a fan,

[​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

Elon Musk has his very own Alita, she goes by name "Grimes".

[​IMG]

Grimes and Elon Musk will raise their baby without a specific gender – as the child ‘may decide their fate and identity’.

[​IMG]

She's got those Alita eyes too.

[​IMG]

Maybe Elon can fund the sequel? If Rosa Salazar is not available, maybe Grimes could be the next performance capture Alita?

[​IMG]

Deuce66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.