Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It might be a slow start, but don't count it out of the running. This is a good, well produced, entertaining movie.

Don't sell it short. I don't think that it will be doomed.

It may take some time, but I still believe, that now, after seeing it, that it will pull through.

Chrome_Head and digdug67 like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Teenage girls are unpredictable. They made Titanic a monster hit.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hey, who you callin' a teenage girl! :)

MekkaGodzilla and Vidiot like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Me. At least I've been accused of having the taste of a teenage girl. My wife and I like what we like even though we're completely outside of any demographic that the movie business cares about. We'll see this, and very likely enjoy it.

Now excuse me, I have to go read some fanfic.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

At least half of it was good.
    Preferred John Carter.

darkmass likes this.
  6. I actually liked John Carter.

budwhite and darkmass like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Howard Stern has constantly said that both his Tivo and his Netflix account seem to think he's a teenage girl, and they suggest all kinds of similar programming (because he watches The Bachelor and a lot of rom-coms).

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I saw a 10:50 AM showing on Friday in a Cinemark XD 3D Dolby Atmos theater and there were 3 other people there.

9. Chris DeVoe

I may be the sole heterosexual male who has watched, enjoyed and bought the DVD of 27 Dresses. And Vickie loves John Woo action films and saw Fight Club before I did.

10. alexpop

My theatre last night was 80% full. I was down the front( 2D )convenience purchase.
    I was expecting the film to be a lot better, optimistic. Some /most of of the choreography was the same old, guess I’ve seen too much green screen. I think there was a better story in the flashback 99 scenes.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  11. alexpop

A lot of women at my screening of Alita: girl power.

Captain Marvel / Trailer..ok ish.

Also Avengers:Endgame, Chris Evans/CA looking good.

12. Vidiot

Just got back from seeing the film. My god... the horror.

Where do I start: it's like they took A.I., Avatar, Blade Runner, District 9, Elysium, Incredible Hulk, Jupiter Ascending, Pinocchio, Road Warrior, Robocop, Rollerball, Ready Player One, Spy Kids, Star Wars (particularly C3P0 and the pod race from Episode 1), Valerian, and Wizard of Oz, crammed them all into a blender, and cranked it up to high.

Just awful from start to finish. Not only does the lead character look creepy, so do the couple of dozen other motion-capture characters who are part-human/part-robot. I went in thinking it might be a "3" on the scale of 1-10... I think it barely hit 1.5 for me. Just a complete waste of time, boring, and forgettable, with just about every sci-fi cliche, trope, and stereotype we've seen in the last 30 years. Also very loud.

Some random notes:

• the male romantic lead is a dead-ringer for Robert Rodriguez, 30 years younger and with hair

• the head bad guy (who we only see at the very end of the film) is a very close lookalike for Jim Cameron (maybe 15-20 years ago)

• why is it that 300 years in the future, everybody is still using the same slang words we use today in the 21st century?

• there's way too much motion capture, CGI, and plastic faces, to the point where the entire thing is an animated cartoon

• I didn't think anybody in the film could act worth a **** except for Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali. And even they have to deal with clunky dialogue that would make even George Lucas wince.

My advice: stay far, far away.

‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Review: Do Female Cyborgs Dream of Breasts?

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

You do know who the actor who played him was?

It was Edward Norton.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Well you went in with "very low expectations" and quoted reams of bad pub before even seeing it, what did you think would happen?!

Deesky and neo123 like this.
  15. Vidiot

That was an interesting cameo! But the resemblance to Cameron was amazing for me -- I actually burst out laughing in the audience.

I thought I would say, "hey, this actually wasn't that bad and had some pretty good moments." But it was actually that bad and had no good moments.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Interesting review - a total outlier versus' almost everyone. A- Cinemascore, 92% Rotten Tomatoes, 7.6/10 IMDB from fans.

I guess this means that you don't like any Marvel/DC movies? In my opinion those movies really look animated, almost 100% green screen, a good chunk of Alita, the street scenes from Iron City, the Kansas bar scene, interior scenes are all physical sets.
    "there's way too much motion capture, CGI, and plastic faces, to the point where the entire thing is an animated cartoon"

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Lot to agree with but I did not find her creepy at all.

darkmass and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Well you just spoiled that for others. :tiphat:

19. alexpop

Desi Arnaz

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Yeah, but...did you like it? ;)

trumpet sounds and Mazzy like this.
  22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have no desire to see it seen the trailer on youtube...
    didn't impress me. Tired of after the alien invasion films

23. Vidiot

Naaa, the Marvel films are fine -- the stories make sense and the characters aren't too stupid. This movie violated both of those issues. The NY Times review I cited covers some of this.

The Rotten Tomatoes critics (who I think count more than the public) had this to say:

[​IMG]

59% is high to me, but it still ain't good.

More from Deadline Hollywood:

‘Alita’ Battles Her Way To $41M+ 5-Day, But Remains Far From Heaven At The B.O.

I thought it was better the first 20 times I saw the basic idea, particularly when it was done in better films.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

I haven't seen it yet, but what might have happened is that the original manga came out so long ago that everyone and their pet duck Cyril has stolen elements of it, and when the original finally gets produced, it gets unfairly accused of being "derivative."

25. Well then rewrite it ! They had plenty of time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.