All 45 seasons of SNL coming to Peacock Streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm curious what got cut. Here's the list of the show's contents.

I see there were three musical performances (two by Lone Justice and one by Buster Poindexter). I bet all those were cut. Perhaps the Sweeney Sisters sketch was cut due to music rights for something they sang? I'm curious if I'm right and what else was cut.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

For the record, I remember one of the SNL episodes on Netflix "accidentally" showing raw footage of one of the bands setting up to preform plus their performance (Andrae Crouch from the Jesse Jackson Season 10 episode iirc but my memory is a little hazy from binge watching them all before SNL left Netflix years ago). Thought it was pretty cool at the time and was hoping it would turn up again on peacock but alas it's been cut.

Also it's pretty sad how poorly these episodes have been re-edited. While it's nice to see the intros / goodnights again many key skits are missing that are STILL AVAILABLE individually on the NBC SNL site?!? . Take the William Shatner Season 12 episode that's only 19 minutes. Trekkies, T.J. Hooker, It's a Wonderful Life (The Lost Ending) & Star Trek V (The Restaurant Enterprise) are all MIA from Peacock but still available here:
    SNL Season 12 Episode 08 - William Shatner, Lone Justice - NBC.com

MikaelaArsenault, Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The opening sketch is gone. It just cuts to the opening credits. Here’s what’s included:

•Opening credits
    •Monologue
    •Big Red
    •Weekend Update
    •The Amazing Alexander
    •Shatner/Dunn mirror sketch
    •Kevin Nealon’s Classic Christmas Experience
    •Goodnights/end credits

That’s right. Not even the Star Trek convention sketch made the cut.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Fascinating. I bet the opening sketch was cut for music rights reasons, since I see it used "The Ballad of the Green Berets." And same with the Sweeney Sisters sketch. I'm puzzled as to why both Star Trek-related sketches were cut, as well as the It's a Wonderful Life sketch. I sure hope it's not that they are unable to present any parodies of copyrighted characters. If that's the case, these shows are gonna be really underwhelming. I wonder if Gumby and Buckwheat are intact on the Murphy episodes?

AKA likes this.
  5. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, after going through a lot of seasons/episodes, all I can say is very disappointing. Not even half the episodes are even on many seasons, and as many have stated, hacked to pieces. And one of my favorite sketches (the Sweeney sisters on the Shatner episode) of course didn't make it.

Vidiot, hi_watt and 905 like this.
  6. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Expected, but still quite pathetic.

905 likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps they cut out some musical guests because of copyrights. But, in the 70s and early 80s, there was a lot offensive stuff that wouldn't pass muster today.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

"Commie Hunting Season" is infamously one of the most offensive sketches ever, and they've never tried to hide it. They really don't care about that sort of thing. Offending celebrities who died soon after? Sure, edit it out. Offending minoroty groups? They don't care.

krock2009, MikaelaArsenault and Grant like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Like Frank Zappa music, all are fair game.

I remember when Joe Piscopo sang that Stevie Wonder is blind as a bat. People got very offended, but when Stevie heard of it, he thought it was funny.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Everyone's speculating that stuff is going to be edited due to retroactively "offensive" content, but has anyone found any examples where that seems to be the case? The edits in the Shatner episode appear to be due to music and (possibly) copyright issues with character parodies. I'm skeptical they will be doing much (if any) cutting for reasons of concern about offending people. I think most of the cuts will be due to rights issues.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

-Martin Lawrence monologue about feminine hygiene
    -Sinead Pope photo
    -off script "s-words" or "f-words" that went out live on the east coast and bleeped on every future platform
    -Caitlyn Jenner joke described below already crudely cut from NBC rebroadcast.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm watching the infamous 1980 "Jean Doumanian season" (the one with Joe Piscopo and Gilbert Gottfried, among others), and it's pretty much as bad as I remembered. It's one of those shows that I figured would never be available... and here it is, 40 years later, on my TV set.

hi_watt, MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This entire episode is one I've kept (commercials and all) since taping it on VHS as a kid. In fact I taped the summer repeat, because when I saw it live I thought it was the funniest 90 minutes I'd ever seen on TV. It still mostly holds up, really strong night with a classic cast. And I adore Lone Justice! Their performance blew the roof off 8H, way underrated band.

Can't for the life of me figure out why they'd cut the Trek sketches. The music cuts are sadly inevitable and we'll likely never see a legit unedited version again, but at least keep the bits! There must be something else going on here. If it's a Trek copyright thing I don't get it, I thought parody was covered by the 1st Amendment after Supreme Court cases and all.

I actually considered subscribing to Peacock if historic SNL episodes were unedited, but that was wishful thinking.

dan c

14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This is another full SNL I've got on VHS, recorded off Comedy Central. It's a truly awful show, except for the brilliance of Eddie Murphy (his first ever Mr. Robinson bit) and Prince. Everything that fails is also sort of fascinating in a tragic sort of way.

dan c

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

So many people keep saying this. SNL never had a problem keeping the outdated stuff in there, the first 5 seasons were released completely uncut and still easily available on DVD. It's the music copyright cuts that suck the life out of the old episodes from season 6 onward.

dan c

Zeroninety and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I think that I'll just stick to watching clips on YouTube.

18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Ooops! Czeskleba beat me to the punch!

So take a look at this:

SNL Transcripts: William Shatner: 12/20/86 - SNL Transcripts Tonight

There is not a whole bunch of material there that is now politically incorrect and must never see the light of day again. Just random snipping left, right and centre.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

BTW I nominate Eddie Murphy coming back to host during the Billy crystal year as the single best episode ever

20. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Just watched the Season 12 Valerie Bertinelli episode on Peacock and surprisingly Eddie Van Halen's "Stompin' 8H" is still included which is funny considering they had to replace the Van Halen music from "Schmitt's Gay" and "Crystal Gravy".

Also, this episode is missing "Ching Chang in Love" which USED to be on NBC's youtube page but is now private so there has been some retroactive editing of material : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS_gQd8UB-hLwXko8kSuOZP48I0i_t96R...

Not sure how complete Peacock's Seasons 1-5 are but from what I sampled they did include musical acts which isn't surprising since they were cleared for release on DVD. Unfortunately the Mardi Gras Special looks to be MIA but it's readily available as an extra on the Season 2 DVD set...

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, those are things that have NEVER been rebroadcast since their original airing, so they aren't examples of new cuts due to changing sensibilities. They were all considered offensive at the time. I was asking for examples of things that were considered okay at the time but now are being cut due to retroactive offensiveness. Someone above mentioned a missing Ching Chang sketch in the new reruns.. If that was cut for content, that would be a good example. But it appears so far that the lion's share of the cuts are being driven by legal reasons, not concern about the material.

22. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Exactly. The Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase word association sketch, Canteen Boy, and Lyle the Effeminate Heterosexual are all still available. The idea that the show is hiding their non-PC sketches under the rug is overblown.

23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The Chris Farley/Patrick Swayze Chippendales sketch is gone, probably due to “Working for the Weekend.”

krock2009 and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just watched that, hadn't seen it before. Its certainly not making fun of any minority. Whether one takes offense or not I guess depends on whether the simple inclusion of a ward is inherently offensive, or if being made fun of. The sketch it stereotyping white southern country people.

I didn't find it particularly funny or offensive. But even if I did, so what? I don't think anyone (or group) should be off limits.

krock2009 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.