All Digital - Benefit from a Pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vaughan, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was curious to hear what people think about this topic. I've just been looking at some Pre-Amps, but i notice these days that they're targeted - at least in marketing - toward Vinyl setups. When I tried to narrow down pre-amps with an emphasis on an all digital system, it got murky.

So - I'm CD and SACD. Would you/do you either:

Have such a system like this with a Pre-Amp;
    Would you bother with a Pre-Amp in an all digital system?

2. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I have a very good tube preamp.....previously used for CD and vinyl. But, for 25 years, I used only a passive and I recently went back to this arrangement and I doubt I'll be using an active preamp again. No contest. I can hear the very fine qualities of my amps shining through. I wouldn't want to compromise that. This applies to any amp I've tried in my system, from 15 watt tube amps to 150 watt class D and anything in between. I don't have particularly easy speaker loads either, but a passive works really well across all the system combinations.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I would, if I had the dough. Very digital, with a great DAC, yet it has a good phono stage for my TT (which, togeter with my records, is a residual from the past; I'm mostly digital nowadays) two subs out. Pair it with the power amp of your choosing :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roger P and Vaughan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.