"All In The Family" trivia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

My childhood was filled with watching All In The Family and my dad agreeing with Archie Bunker all the time.

musicfan37, BadJack, Moshe and 3 others like this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Haha are we long lost brothers?

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yes, same father/son dynamics here, as well (I being the "Meathead"). :D

On a different note, I wonder what kind of music Mike and Gloria listened to. That character detail never seemed to have come up in any episode that I can recall. I'm guessing Motown! I'm sure there'd be no rock n roll under Archie's roof.

drasil, OldSoul and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

AITF was based on Till Death Do Us Part, a British show. What was that one like, was the man like Archie and the wife like Edith?

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

From what I've heard, the wife was a bit more biting than Edith. I've never really watched the show, though.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  6. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I wish I could like that one more than once!

Fantastic.

Moshe likes this.
  7. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I seem to remember Gloria dancing to Sly and the Family Stone in an early episode

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That's funny, because I was going to say I wouldn't peg them for Motown, it'd be too straitlaced, IMO. They'd no doubt like something freakier like Sly.

Hall Cat likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wonder what Archie would have thought of Meathead making Spinal Tap.

10. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

One fun piece of trivia is that Vincent Gardenia played two different characters on All in the Family: neighbor Frank Lorenzo, and the husband half of a "swinger" couple whose newspaper ad Edith innocently answered.

P.S. Now that I look it up, Sorrell ("Boss Hogg") Booke also guest starred as two different characters: Archie's boss at the plant, and the manager of the TV station where Archie delivered his infamous gun control editorial.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    RobRoyF, troggy and Moshe like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love that "swingers" episode! Jean is a riot in that one!

Benno123 and Hall Cat like this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Fu
    Funny you mentioned that. I saw a rerun over the weekend and I remember noticing when they were in their room alone, there is a shelf full of records in the background. Couldn't see what any of them were though.

jamesmaya likes this.
  13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good eye!

mmars982 likes this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Can’t say **** now, that he got away with!

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I remember this too. A lot of the complete episodes are on Youtube, but I have not found this one yet. I believe it is from Season 1.

Hall Cat likes this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I was thinking about the episode "Edith vs The Intruder".

This has to be my least favorite episode.
    I don't like it at all.
    It's horrible in so many ways.
    First, the same thing had happened to Gloria in a pervious episode, so, it just didn't seem necessary and made no sense to have it happen to Edith.
    Just the idea of this happening to Edith and on her birthday was just a bit much.
    Also, the audience were (awkwardly) laughing at inappropriate times.
    Also, inspite of what a lot of people have said, I don't think this was Jean Stapleton's best performance.
    I think the whole episode was awkward.
    The audience felt awkward and I felt Jean Stapleton felt awkward doing this episode. She didn't say that, but I just got a sense that she was.
    She seemed very much so.
    The thing I didn't like most about it was that Archie was portrayed as a bumbling coward.
    This was not at all Archie Bunker to me.
    Archie was no coward, especially when it came to protecting Edith and Gloria.
    I've never liked this episode, at all.
    It's the only episode that I don't like.
    It's very uncomfortable to watch.
    It's horrible.
    I love this show, Just not this episode.
    Glad I got this off my chest.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    izgoblin and music4life like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Is that the one with the dog alarm, or was this actually an intruder and not a burglar? If it is about the two colored burglars, I thought it was hysterical and that Edith showed true compassion towards the racism and disadvantages colored folks experienced, and apparently still do. It's hard for me to believe we still have any of that nonsense in this country, so much so that I literally wonder if it really happens. But with more recent events we have all seen on the news, it is apparent it is real and we have a long ways to go. Anyway, sorry if I am referencing the wrong episode. And I respect your opinion if it is the right one, I guess I just thought it did strike the right tone given the subject matter. Comedy and reality....tricky and few shows ever did it better.

18. Moshe

It's the attempted rape.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yikes. I have all the seasons but don't remember seeing that one. And probably never will. That sounds bad on all levels.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's one of the best episodes of the series.

21. Moshe

It is.
    In my opinion anyway.
    It's horrible.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

@PaulKTF

Not only is it against forum rules to correct another members spelling, grammar or writing style, it is in my opinion bad manners and quite insulting.

I myself find it hard to put down in writing something I could explain more eloquently via verbal means, quite often I read back things I've previously written and shake my head, the point being it's the content that matters and remember English is not the natural language of many of our members.

izgoblin, Vidiot and Jerry like this.
  23. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

We used to get AITF on TV over here, a long time ago. It was sometimes compared to the British Till Death Us Do Part series, featuring one Alf Garnett, a horrible caricatured racist bigot, brilliantly played by Warren Mitchell. I used to like AITF but I don't think I understood all of the jokes, because they were for a US audience.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I thought he was talking about the one where an unusually patient rapist was trying to rape Edith, but she kept stalling, and eventually was able to smash him in the face with a pan of burning brownies that she literally just took out of the oven, and ran next door.

BTW, I realize you may be of an older generation, but please don't use the term "colored". It's offensive nowadays. Thanks.

OldSoul likes this.
  25. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I'm just finishing a book entitled "You'll Never Get That on Television" in which this show is gone over in great detail.
    Credit Norman Lear for sure.

Regarding "Till Death Do Us Part", the male character is described as being cold & crass, with no heart, as compared to Archie. Jean Stapleton describes that she introduced that persona of Edith, from a character that she used to play on stage. They loved it, and let her run with it.

Alan2 and bluejeanbaby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.