"All In The Family" trivia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sly & The Family Stone weren't anywhere near part of Motown.

2. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I was a sophomore in h.s. when it premiered, and remember my father was eager to watch the show, having heard the hype beforehand. Never missing an episode the first couple of seasons, he was shocked at what he saw and heard. "This changes everything" and "Wow" was often his commentary. As with the evening news talked about on another thread recently, it was me who watched along with him. Such a huge change from something like Andy Griffith or Dick Van Dyke!! Must-see tv for many.

RobRoyF, Moshe and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

To clarify:

I am referring to the episode about the attempted rape of Edith.
    I should've been more clear.
    I realize that most people highly regard this episode, including the tv critics.
    I feel like I should like this episode.
    I just don't.
    I just see it very differently.
    I was merely expressing an opinion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It was her own birthday cake. The fact that this all happened on her special day made it all the more awful.

Moshe and bluejeanbaby like this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Right, and her whole family was right next door waiting to give her a surprise party. Archie even walked in while the rapist was there, but was so worried about keeping the surprise he rushed in and out without noticing how she was behaving. This was one of the most memorable episodes in the whole series IMO. I remember it from when I first saw it, and I recently re-watched it and it holds up.

bluejeanbaby, Drifter and Grant like this.
  6. Grant

I guess I need to watch it again. I was certain it was brownies.

To add to mmars82's post, the episode came at a time when Norman Lear was trying to expand Edith's character, to show she wasn't just some "dingbat". I think it was also around the time they did the menopause episode.

bluejeanbaby, mmars982 and Drifter like this.
  7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I loved his portrayal of Frank Larenzo. I always hoped him and Betty Garrett would get a spin off show. The episode where he tries getting out of playing pool with Irene is a classic. Loved when Frank put the sicilian curse on Archie. "Moloku!"

Moshe and guy incognito like this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

A brilliant, brilliant show. I hated when Mike and Gloria got a divorce and when Edith died. Archie Bunker's Place had some good episodes, though. I remember one where this big strapping sports star who frequents the bar comes out to Archie as being gay. At that time I had not known anyone who was gay (at least not anyone that was open about it), and it really got me thinking that gay people were just like everyone else, and did not fit stereotypes. It started me on the road to believing in gay rights.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I was saying Mike and Gloria would think Motown was too strait laced, so they'd likely be more into the freakier Sly and the Family Stone.

10. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

This episode had the best line ever.
    Archie: 'Edith, when I had the hernia, I didn't make you wear the truss!' :biglaugh:

Benno123 likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm 55 and it's interesting you made that comment because I realized when typing it, I wasn't sure what to write! It's been years since I had any reason to reference something to that effect. What is the acceptable word younger people use these days? I certainly mean't no offense, as I hope was obvious by what I wrote.

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Black. African-American. Person of color [POC].

13. Grant

I remember the line that went something like: (while looking at his watch) "OK Edith! You got three minutes to change. Change!

audiofool likes this.
  14. Grant

Well, i'm almost the same age as you, but to explain it would not only take this thread way off-topic and get me reported, but would also get me barred from it. PM me if you want so I can speak freely.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Just noticed that both episodes are on Antenna TV tonight. DVR set.

Drifter likes this.
  16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Interestingly enough, Edith in the first season is a lot closer to the wife on "Till Death Us Do Part" - she's a lot sharper and more sarcastic. It wasn't until after the first season that she became more lovably clueless.

Benno123, OldSoul and Moshe like this.
  17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The Edith of the pilots and first episodes is more with it than the Edith of the 13th episode when Henry Jefferson and Archie have their dinner and argue over astronauts hitting golf balls on the moon and if Jesus is black or white. As Jean Stapleton developed the voice along with it came Edith's mannerisms and that wonderful, loved character that we all know.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good Morning World and The Good Guys are two more, but they didn't last long. I could swear that The Bill Dana Show was also multicamera.

That show happened during one of the weeks that Jean Stapleton was out on strike for more money. This was a rare case where a cast problem forced the writers to creatively box two of the characters in and find a way to make it funny and still tell an interesting story.

For the record, as far as I know Jean Stapleton left the show of her own accord, just wanting to do other things. She also realized that O'Conner was by far the central power on the show, had been effectively made the showrunner and head writer on top of being the star. I don't think it was O'Conner's decision for her to leave. You could make a case that they marginalized her character to the point where she had to leave, but she wasn't fired per se.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

FYI, on Thanksgiving Day Antenna TV will be airing an All In The Family marathon. :)

musicfan37 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

FYI. Buy the DVD box, watch whenever you want.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The DVD box is great, but...

DVD box = $109 on Amazon

Antenna TV marathon = free. :)

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hmm. Mine was $14.72 after Amazon points. I forgot some have to pay retail. Btw, cable isn't free, it's included.

jamesmaya likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Cable isn't free, it's included"? What does that mean? I don't watch Antenna TV on cable. I watch it for free with an antenna.

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yup. And with some patience and luck, it's not too difficult to find a well-cared for, used set (or even a new, sealed one) online for about half of retail. That's how I got mine.

Myke likes this.
  25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Oooo! A fight between Myke and PaulKTF? Popcorn is in the microwave!

Sorry----back to topic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.