All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Inspired by similar threads I thought I'd start one on my favorite band. There's still a lot of mystery surrounding this band - especially regarding the early pre-Schenker releases and also all the line-up's they've had over the bands 45+ year career.

Let me fire a question in the direction of those who may know...

What label were the first 3 albums originally released on and what was the original cover art for UFO II - Flying?? Also does anyone know what the five stars on UFO I front cover are about??? Oh yeah also what was the original cover art and title of the live album sometimes known simply as Live and sometimes Landed Japan???

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

My brother was well into UFO. We saw them at around about the release of LIGHTS OUT and I have to say they were quite superb and much better than I expected. Those questions are too hard for me though Jimmy. Give us some easy ones ;)

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The the original cover art of Flying (Beacon LP)..... is yours on the left.

abor1g and Jimmy Agates like this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

The first three albums were on the Beacon label. [​IMG] Original cover art (Beacon Records)
    The five stars represent "Unidentified Flying Object." Live is the third album by the band UFO. It was the group's first live recording and was initially released only in Japan in 1971 entitled U.F.O Landed Japan. UFO are one of my favorite bands also!

5. Jimmy Agates

Ok thanks for that guys...I suspected that could've been the case as far as UFO II was concerned...I'm still not sure how the 5 stars represent "Unidentified Flying Object" on the debut...they seem oddly out of place like they were added after.
    I suspect the original Landed Japan art was the one on the left in my original post also...

Ok here's another question I've been wondering about...did any of the early albums have inner sleeves? Being in Oz we only got cheap issues pressed by Festival Records here and none ever had inserts or posters. I know Obsession had a poster in the UK and was it Mechanix that had the live band shot poster?? Any info appreciated.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The first one had a poster inside! I bought the first one with Sabbath's MOR.... the latter one had also a nice poster.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  7. Jimmy Agates

[​IMG]
    WOW really I had no idea about that...I'm sure that'd be hard to come by now!

8. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

9. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Wow cool, I've had a few versions of these but have never seen the beacon flying with the blue lettering, nor the yellow live cover...the other flying lp I bought in Germany in about 1980, on that vinyl side one in the runout groove it repeats backwards speaking until you pick up the needle, played forward it says something like "you're a better man than I"......(?????)

10. Jimmy Agates

"Tho' I've belted you and flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!”

from the poem "Gunga Din" Rudyard Kipling 1892

rcdupre likes this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

ClassicRockTragic likes this.
  12. Guadalahonky

Guadalahonky Forum Resident

Jimmy, what's the back story on George Martin producing No Place to Run?

13. ClassicRockTragic

You dig it?

14. Jimmy Agates

Unfortunately I don't have a turntable and as such have only given it a couple of spins at a freinds place...as far as I know they were taken from the same source as the cd remasters which I am a fan of

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Strangers on the Night sounds bad.... never liked the EMI reissue.

16. ClassicRockTragic

Ok.. Mine is over 30 years old and sounds awesome. It's just a bit worse for wear. Luckily it's a full tilt rock album and any surface noise is not detectable.

I would love it If Strangers and the other Schenker era albums were given a audiophile reissue like the rush albums this year.

17. Thomas Brophy

Thomas Brophy Forum Resident

18. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

:wtf:

REPORTED

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I own the all releases from Phenomenon to Obsession on CD, Japanese Pastmasters and Pastmasters II. I have Landed on the Japanese Metalmania series of CD.
    I also have Flying on German vinyl, along with a 2 LP compilation of their first studio and live album.
    I have everything on Canadian vinyl from Phenomenon to Strangers in the Night.
    Their Schenker years were my favorite era of UFO. But I do enjoy the earlier material as well.

d.s.l. and ClassicRockTragic like this.
  20. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

UFO is one of those bands that I always felt I should dig deeper into but have not gotten around to, for whatever reason.

I own:

Phenomenon
    Lights Out
    Strangers In The Night
    The Essential UFO

Obviously, from the above , I am most familiar with the Michael Schenker period. I first discovered them as a teenager back in 1974 when the local Underground Rock FM station at the time (the mighty WCOL-FM), played Rock Bottom, and the song (and that guitar solo!) so blew me away that I got on the phone and let it ring until the DJ finally answered just so I could find out the band's name.

Phenomenon remains one of my all-time favorite albums

21. ClassicRockTragic

Nice.

Thanks for the heads up.

22. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I also have the blue vinyl version on Back On Black and it sounds wonderful...my all time favorite live album.

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Is there a good sounding CD greatest hits?

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The original cover art for the Japanese release of UFO II - Flying is NOT shown in your selection. I've mentioned this before, but I grew up in Japan and the only two UFO albums I owned were the first two. I, on cassette tape, and II on LP. The cover for II, if I recall correctly, was a huge flying saucer.

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

http://eil.com/images/main/UFO-Flying-218081.jpg

This is what I had. Original Japanese cover for II.

Edit: maybe this wasn't what I had. I remember the flying saucer taking up the entire cover, and don't recall any "beings" at all. Just the ship.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Jimmy Agates likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.