All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So what does everyone think of the "reunion" albums with Schenker?

Walk On Water
    Covenant
    Sharks

I don't really care much for any albums after these three, but these three I think are all excellent.

Walk On Water is one of the most awesome albums I've ever heard, imo. :) Self Made Man....jeez, talk about rocking!

slipkid likes this.
  2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Playing Phenomenon now, just finished No Heavy Petting. God, these guys are so underrated. [​IMG]

squittolo, muzikluvr, zphage and 2 others like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've said it b4, and I'll say it again - Walk on Water is jaw droppingly good. My favorite UFO album. Schenker is burning his fingers off, the songs are great, the production is perfect (finally Ron Nevison produces a UFO album without trying to force orchestras, string quartets, etc on them and just lets them be a heavy rock band). Venus leaves me breathless.

The next two albums though - very disappointing; the production especially doesn't cut it IMO, things like "gang vocals". Check the UFO album by album thread for more detailed comments/analysis.

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Slippers, it's a truly cracking return to form, unquestionably so (I seem to recall seeing them perform in Nottingham, Englandville during this period) but no way can I agree it's their zenith (especially after a trunk's worth of the liquid blue stuff and some choice monents from Force It and Obsession!)

Also, the 'string thing' may not be to everyone's taste but it can bring a certain 'cherry' to place atop various hard rocking cakes: not only hereabouts (I bloody love 'Lookin' Out for No. 1 (reprise)' on side two of the said Obsession) but the technique has been unquestionably finishing me off for decades during the fade out of 'Stargazer,' for example.

Whatever, I adore this band; they are the definition of that dreadful term, 'authentic.'

slipkid and Jimmy Agates like this.
  5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

First band I ever went to see live, and always had a love for them. When youi read the stories it makes you wonder just how good they might have been if they'd had their act together!!!

Philip

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. HengistPod

HengistPod Well-Known Member

Right, here's a question for the collectors among you.

Was there ever a vinyl reissue of Strangers on 180g with the original tracklisting? Possibly on white vinyl?

Different original 2LP versions I have (differences mostly in the front cover logo, and some colours in the design) are:

1. UK: Small yellow logo. "Strangers in the Night" and "A double live album" in red text at angles.
    2. German: Big yellow logo, with yellow "Strangers in the Night" underneath. "UFO Live 2LP" (looks like a round sticker, but is actually printed).
    3. French: Big red logo, with red "Strangers in the Night" underneath.
    4. Italian: Yellow logo with red "Strangers in the Night" underneath.
    5. Japanese: similar cover to UK.

The only other difference (apart from local record company, etc) is that one small picture inside is different in some.

The reissue vinyls that I have are both Back In Black ones - the first in blue vinyl, the second in black (though the cover on both says "Ltd Ed coloured vinyl). Each dumps the inner gatefold cover entirely, and instead reproduces the notes from the reissue CD booklet in tiny text alongside a huge pic of Pete Way. The back cover text is redesigned so that it all sits horizontally on the left of the cover, obviously with new tracklist. Record labels also use a pic of Pete on one side, and part of the album artwork on the other.

So, anyway, does anyone know of a vinyl reissue that preserved the original tracklist and/or cover artwork? I'm sure I saw one once, but can't find any information about such a thing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  7. Trillmeister

^^^ No idea, Chief; sorry but 10/10 for commitment! ^^^ :righton:

8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

I certainly can't recall any white vinyl reissue. I could be wrong though

9. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Back on Black - RCV001LP released in 2009 on White, Blue and Black vinyl.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  10. HengistPod

HengistPod Well-Known Member

Yep, seems to be a variant of RCV001LP (originally designated BOBV167LP).

I managed to track down a white vinyl copy today, which will be nestling up against the others next week :) - but I imagine it's got the re-worked track listing, same as the other RCV001 sets. White seems a lot less common than blue.

Wonder why they don't seem to have done a straight issue, with original track order? Few people prefer the "new" version.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  11. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I will have to look out my various versions today. You are correct in that it has the "new" running order with the extra tracks... mehh!
    It doesnt sound right unless it begins with Natural Thing IMHO!!!

squittolo likes this.
  12. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I used to have "No Place To Run" on US or CAN vinyl, but as it got lost along the way I recently go hold of a Chrysalis 6307 690 "high quality pressing, made in Germany" vinyl. The US or CAN had album title in blue font while this version is in red.
    IMO the Germany version sounds better than the previous one I had.

Obsession keeps #1 in my UFO book of albums musically, together with The Wild, The Willing, No Place To Run & No Place to Run form the core of UFO albums I return to.
    I discovered the older albums such as Phenomenon a couple of years ago, but the above albums are the ones that have stuck with me since the early 80's.

And yes, I'm old enough that I bought "Misdemeanor" on vinyl the year it was released, and even though I hated it back then (together with Uriah Heep's "Equator") time has healed the wounds by now
    :)

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

squittolo and GodShifter like this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oh man. I love Pete. Get well soon, mate!

dvcarrick and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  15. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Anybody recognize this bass player... lol

16. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Doctor, Doctor, Pleeeeeease...

squittolo likes this.
  17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Is that in the Billy Sheehan era???????

dvcarrick and Jimmy Agates like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That dude has never taken care of himself. The rock lifestyle to the hilt. I hope he recovers.

tkl7, slipkid and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it is. The bass guitar looks like Billy's. The bass player, not so much, lol.

20. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I forgot Billy Sheehan was in UFO for a little bit. He was also in Max Webster for about a week. LOL

squittolo likes this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Phil is also in poor health at the moment with a Hernia and 2 slipped disks according to the band's facebook page.

squittolo likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Bummer. Although I thought he was in pretty poor health for years now (I don't recall the details). As Godshifter said above he pretty much was a poster boy for rock star drug excess. Unless you are Keith Richards with God knows what for blood in his veins I guess it takes its toll on normal people.

23. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

BAd new re Phil and especially Pete. Hope Pete pulls through this he's one of the nice guys in rock.

squittolo likes this.
  24. Trillmeister

I suggest everyone plays their original copies of Obsession, repeatedly, at unsympathetic volumes, until styli are worn out: thus may our collective, concerted care for these unreconstructed troopers aid their quickest and fullest possible recoveries.

[​IMG]

squittolo and dvcarrick like this.
  25. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.