All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What's up regarding Phil? Is is ill too? He has always looked in great shape.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Back and hernia problems I undertand.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx. Hope he recovers & can still tour....otherwise no UFO (irreplaceable singer IMO).

Trillmeister and Jimmy Agates like this.
  5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Slippers, don't you reckon he's looked more than a little emaciated in recent times? I've harbored concerns at his underlying health based upon appearances for quite a while.

These two must get back to fighting fitness and have a word with Mr. Schenker (heck, keep Vinnie for a twin attack approach, in the manner of 'Maiden's retention of J. Gers when A. Smith returned, in view of his now considerable contribution) for an attempted Obsession II type recording.

The first one's spinning, for the umpteenth time in the last 48hrs and it really is a colossal outpouring: unique, largely ignored (by the commuters in their cages) and hopelessly underrated.

We keep saying it but the ad nauseum repetition is fully merited: what a band. What a band.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

A record store in my neighborhood has a uk near mint No heavy petting on blue label chrysalis. That record originally came on green label chrysalis. So i am interested to know if someone here knows if the blue label chrysalis is from the same stampers as the first press green one or if its a recut ? Thanks

7. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Apparently they are recording a covers album? I don't know if Phil's problems have interrupted the recording sessions...
    It sounds intriguing, I'd like to know which songs they are covering!

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I confess as to not seeing UFO live for a couple years despite them playing nearby at my local. Last time I saw them wasn't too long ago though (5 years? 6 years? I 4get) and Phil looked really fit then.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow that is weird. A covers album? I hope every song is a UFO cover!

Jimmy Agates and Carserguev like this.
  10. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Where Barney and Betty Hill really abducted?

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

Now playing: Disc 4, Cleveland October 1978

12. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Bassist Pete Way has his biography out this year! I expect fireworks!! :)
    [​IMG]

13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Can't wait for that - about time a UFO member spilt the beans.

14. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

UFO were probably one of the biggest drug users of the 70's bands. And bands in the 70's were a tough lot!

squittolo, Brenald79 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What are the best LP pressings for the Schenker era?

16. progmog

progmog Senior Member

In my view, nothing beats the UK originals. Unlike other bands, I don't think that UK original pressings of UFO albums are over-priced. Everything from 'Phenomenon' to 'Lights Out' was on the green Chrysalis label. Original pressings of 'Obsession' and 'Strangers In The Night' were on the blue-and-white Chrysalis label.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

For the lps that were originally on green chrysalis, is there a sonic difference between the green chrysalis first issue and the reissue on blue chrysalis. I often seen blue label no heavy petting but never green chrysalis. Are they from the same stampers or is the blue chrysalis a different mastering than the original one ?

18. Jimmy Agates

Anyone got the original BBC Archives cd (link below) and the 5cd/dvd BBC box.

My question is this....the first part of Let It Roll and a large part of Mother Mary on the box sounds like a blanket has been put over the speakers as it is quite muffled. I used to own the single disc which had these tracks on it and I can't recall any issues like this...can anyone confirm that my memory is not playing tricks on me!?!?!?

BBC ARCHIVES - UFO UFO CD Album »

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I have both, although my BBC Archives single CD is not a Japan release (it's on EMI 724349940321, a UK release). I'll try to give them an A/B on those songs and let you know.

20. Jimmy Agates

Yeah I had the non Japanese version...I'd appreciate your feedback. It's VERY obvious on the boxset.

slipkid likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK gave them a quick spin and you are 100% correct, the beginning of Let It Roll is very muffled on the boxset (CD2 track 1). I didn't listen all the way through to see if it improves but even my tin ears noticed it.

The BBC In Session/Live in Concert single disc collection is dramatically better sounding.

Also the BBC In Session version includes the announcer (Brian Matthews? John Peel? Bob Harris?) intro. Unfortunately that version only has three songs from that session whereas the boxset has six songs. I guess they used a different (and inferior) tape source for the boxset.

jay.dee and Jimmy Agates like this.
  22. Jimmy Agates

Yeah just as I remembered. Ok well thats just ordinary. Why would you even use a tape when you could just rip a great sounding copy from the original cd?? Weird. Anyway being a hopeless UFO obsessive I'm gonna have to repurchase a copy of that single disc!

23. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have to ask, this is what my notes say:

Single disc BBC In Session: Dec 12, 1975 (Paris)

5 disc BBC box: 11th December 1976

??

One of them is wrong?

24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

^^^ Discogs has pictures for the box for the 5 disc set, and that says 1975 for those songs. So somehow I cut and pasted from somewhere that perhaps had it originally dated wrong.

And it's 11/12/1975 too!

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

So I'm a relative late comer to UFO land, even though I loved some songs I had no idea were them...
    I'm revisiting the catalog, and I was wondering what was the initial reaction to Ain't Misbehavin' after the super slick Misdemeanor?
    While I think the lyrics could be stronger, I really like the production on Ain't Misbehavin'. And then to go in an entirely different direction for High Stakes & Dangerous Men which is almost southern rock.

I also just picked up the Misdemeanor Tour CD but haven't had a chance to listen to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.