All The World's A Stage - the Shakespeare thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 23, 2016.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Suspense - "Othello" (1953)

Radio Recall - MWOTRC

On May 4 and May 11, 1953, Suspense presented a two-part presentation of Shakespeare’s Othello, one of the few two-part presentations offered on Suspense, and the only Suspense presentation based on a stage play by William Shakespeare. There were many episodes of Suspense that featured quotes from Shakespeare, and even John Dickson Carr’s “Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble” from April 6, 1943 originated from a Shakespeare theme, but this was definitely the only adaptation of a Shakespeare play dramatized on Suspense. William Conrad and Richard Widmark make a great Iago and Othello.

The music was cleverly arranged. In 1887, Giuseppe Verdi introduced “Otello” (that’s not a misspelling), a musical opera based on Shakespeare’s “Othello.” Verdi composed other operas based on Shakespeare’s plays, but to put his music to the actual drama (during short musical intervals and as musical bridges) was pure genius.​

ando here likes this.
  2. JozefK

Julius Caesar (1970)

Now in PD. Notorious for the terrible (by his own admission) performance of the great Jason Robards as Brutus (he was in the depths of alcoholism at the time).

Charlton Heston as Mark Antony
    Jason Robards as Brutus
    John Gielgud as Julius Caesar
    Richard Johnson as Cassius
    Robert Vaughn as Casca
    Richard Chamberlain as Octavius
    Diana Rigg as Portia
    Jill Bennett as Calpurnia
    Christopher Lee as Artemidorus
    Michael Gough as Metellus Cimber
    André Morell as Cicero

ando here likes this.
  3. JozefK

4. JozefK

ando here likes this.
  5. JozefK

ando here likes this.
  6. JozefK

Julius Caesar (1914 film) - Wikipedia

Julius Caesar (Italian:Giulio Cesare) is a 1914 Italian silent historical film directed by Enrico Guazzoni and starring Amleto Novelli, Bruto Castellani and Pina Menichelli. Taking its inspiration from William Shakespeare's 1599 play of the same title, the film portrays the events leading up to the assassination of Julius Caesar. In the wake of Guazzoni's internationally successful Quo Vadis it was produced on an epic scale, including vast sets recreating Ancient Rome and more than 20,000 extras.​

ando here likes this.
  7. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm not sure I get the point of this silent film. They want to put some of the words from the play on title cards and then have long scenes where actors say more words but no one can hear them? For Shakespeare the sound of words is everything. That's like watching the play from outside with a window. Weird. I'm sure it was spectacular in its time but just weird as a concept.

ando here likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

We saw it in HS. Our teacher said that Robards was playing the role as stoic and emotionless. It was a method acting thing, he said

ando here likes this.
  9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Watching the 1978 British TV mini-series on the life of Shakespeare starring Tim Curry. Below is the final episode, though the YT poster has most of them on his channel.

DVD info

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

12. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I pretty new to Shakespeare. I couple of years ago I decided to try him out so me and my girlfriend went and saw 'Macbeth' at the Shakespeare Tavern in Atlanta. It blew me away. That Christmas I got The Norton Shakespeare. I've read a few of the plays. Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummers Nights Dream. I know it's cliche to say but the best to me was Hamlet. I couldn't put it down. Truly one of the monuments of western civilization. Finally going to see the play in April.

arley, Marzz, ando here and 4 others like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Then check out the various movie versions. Olivier of course, Mel Gibson's unique version (with a fantastic turn by Glenn Close) and Branagh's complete uncut version which also has Alan Bates turning in a great performance as the Uncle. Richard Burton's version (my favorite) is available on dvd, but it takes place on a bare stage in street clothes, which takes some getting used to.

Karnak and MoonPool like this.
  14. JozefK

All The World's A Stage - the Shakespeare thread

ando here likes this.
  15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Currently watching and enjoying this version (in half-hour or so increments with my morning tea). I especially like James Mason's unpretentious approach.

16. misterjones

I was predisposed not to like it, but I thought it and Gibson were quite good.

smilin ed and carrick doone like this.
  17. misterjones

The Shakespeare in the Park version with John Lithgow was excellent. Well, Lithgow was excellent, and the rest of the cast was (as is frequently the case in these typically lame productions) uneven. But there was a time . . .

18. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

I’m in New England, but have been able to see Shakespeare plays at the Tavern in Atlanta twice - and enjoyed them tremendously. You’ve got a real treasure there...

19. carrick doone

Among all the other great suggestions one of my favourite takes is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. It is a great inversion of Hamlet using these two minor characters. The writing and use of Shakespeare is superb. The language and visual play is brilliant. The play itself is a bit different from the film as I recall and the film has a great, young Gary Oldman and Tim Roth in the titular roles.

ando here likes this.
  20. misterjones

I've only read the play, but the mere idea of flipping minor and major roles in a classic was a brilliant idea. The brilliant writing, inspired by Waiting for Godot, was the icing on the cake. I'd like to see it some day.

21. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I have watched the Olivier version

22. misterjones

Then, of course, there's Stoppard's 15-Minute Hamlet (followed by the one-minute encore, I believe). There are some examples on Youtube, but none are very good.

Stoppard's idea was "used" as a basis for the Reduced Shakespeare Company's work. The latter stuff got old pretty quickly for me.

ando here and carrick doone like this.
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ralphb likes this.
  24. JozefK

Soothsayer
    Caesar!

CAESAR
    Ha! who calls?

CASCA
    Bid every noise be still: peace yet again!

CAESAR
    Who is it in the press that calls on me?
    I hear a tongue, shriller than all the music,
    Cry 'Caesar!' Speak; Caesar is turn'd to hear.

Soothsayer
    Beware the ides of March.

CAESAR
    What man is that?

BRUTUS
    A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.

CAESAR
    Set him before me; let me see his face.

CASSIUS
    Fellow, come from the throng; look upon Caesar.

CAESAR
    What say'st thou to me now? speak once again.

Soothsayer
    Beware the ides of March.

CAESAR
    He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass.

[​IMG]

CAESAR
    [To the Soothsayer] The ides of March are come.

Soothsayer
    Ay, Caesar; but not gone.

pjc1, carrick doone and ando here like this.
  25. carrick doone

I see what you do here. Nice...