All The World's A Stage - the Shakespeare thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 23, 2016.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Did you go?

ando here likes this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Going on the 25th. Exited. :)

ralphb likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

We saw her in Albee's "Three Tall Women" last year and she is still quite a formidable presence.

ando here likes this.
  4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

That's one Albee play I've never seen live. Yes, I can tell from the various plugs for Lear that I've seen her do that she still has a spark. Lear is a gargantuan role. It seems that you have to make a definite choice in terms of character and play it full tilt. Scofield, for instance, played him like a hundred year old rascal and it worked beautifully. Certainly carries the Peter Brook film. Never seen an Edmund that I liked, though. Third largest role in the play and most interpreters that I've seen are sexy but dull. Hope this production will be different!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    ralphb likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You needed to see the Sir Ian version

6. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I love the graveyard scene with Billy Crystal, he just nails it

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Richard Basehart recites from Macbeth. From the Playhouse 90 episode "So Soon to Die" (1957). The last line in the clip (not from Shakespeare), deals w/the episode's plot, in which Basehart is a hit man hired to kill a woman (Ann Bancroft, w/RB here).

ando here likes this.
  8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Just a side note...there's a cool little museum-type spot in Moss Landing (in between Santa Cruz and Monterey) called the Shakespeare Society of America. They have an impressive collection of Bard-related artifacts and the folks who run the place are really friendly and enthusiastic. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep!

Jack Lemmon was really embarrassing, tho

ando here and EndOfTheRainbow like this.
  10. JozefK

Hamlet is a 1913 British silent drama film directed by Hay Plumb and starring Johnston Forbes-Robertson, Gertrude Elliot and Walter Ringham. It is an adaptation of the play Hamlet by William Shakespeare made by the Hepworth Company and based on the Drury Lane Theatre's 1913 staging of the work.​

[​IMG]

ando here likes this.
  11. JozefK

Hamlet is a 1921 German film adaptation of the William Shakespeare play of the same name starring Danish silent film actress Asta Nielsen. It was directed by Svend Gade and Heinz Schall. The film was shot at the Johannisthal Studios in Berlin.

In this interpretation, inspired by Dr. Edward P. Vining's book The Mystery of Hamlet, Hamlet is born female and disguised as a male to preserve the lineage. Though a radical interpretation, the New York Times said this film, "holds a secure place in class with the best."​

[​IMG]

ando here, wolfram and Solaris like this.
  12. JozefK

Twelfth Night (1910)

ando here likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like Polanski’s.

14. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Heartened to see that kanopy has a multitude of free streaming Shakespeare films (you just need an email & library card to register), most of which are from the Ambrose series which date from the 70s/80s British TV run (often low production value but superlative performances). But sprinkled in are top drawer productions and Shakespeare miscellany. And where else are you going to see an intelligible Troilus and Cressida? Best Bard streaming collection I've come across thus far.

[​IMG]
    Happy Birthday, Will! (April 23, 1564 - April 23, 1616)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  15. JozefK

King Lear (1916)

Stars: Frederick Warde, Lorraine Huling, Wayne Arey, J.H. Gilmour
    Director: Ernest C. Warde

16. JozefK

Frank Benson (actor) - Wikipedia

Francis Robert Benson (4 November 1858 – 31 December 1939), commonly known as Frank Benson or F. R. Benson, was an English actor-manager. He founded his own company in 1883 and produced all but three of Shakespeare's plays.​
    ___

His company included from time to time many actors and actresses who, having trained under him, became prominent on their own account, and both by his organization of this regular company and by his foundation of a dramatic school of acting in 1901, Benson exercised a most important influence on the contemporary stage.

From the first he devoted himself largely to the production of Shakespeare's plays, reviving many which had not been acted for generations, and his services to the cause of Shakespeare can hardly be overestimated. Over time, Benson's companies performed all but three of Shakespeare's plays (neglecting All's Well That Ends Well, Titus Andronicus and its "bloody villainy," and Troilus and Cressida).[4] From 1886 to 1916 (with a few gaps) he managed the Stratford-on-Avon Shakespearean Festival.

His romantic and intellectual powers as an actor, combined with his athletic and picturesque bearing and fine elocution, were conspicuously shown in his own impersonations, most remarkable among which were his Hamlet (in 1900 he produced this play without cuts in London), his Coriolanus, his Richard II, his Lear and his Petruchio.

Richard III (1911) is one of his only surviving film performances. He both starred in the lead role and directed the production, made by the Co-operative Cinematograph Co.

Benson was knighted following a performance of Julius Caesar at Drury Lane Theatre in 1916.​

MoonPool likes this.
  17. JozefK

Richard III

Radio drama starring
    Laurence Olivier as Richard
    Ralph Richardson as Narrator

Episode of the CBS radio anthology series 'Columbia Workshop'.

The Old Vic Theatre Company in their first American radio appearance.

Broadcast on 2 June 1946.

18. JozefK

King John (1899)

The first known movie of a William Shakespeare work. Only this one of the four scenes survives -- King John's death. Alternate title: Beerbohm Tree, the Great English Actor.

19. JozefK

Hamlet

Radio drama starring
    John Gielgud as Hamlet
    Dorothy McGuire as Ophelia
    Pamela Brown as Queen

An episode of the radio anthology series 'Theatre Guild on the Air' broadcast on 4 March 1951.

20. JozefK

Macbeth, with Paul Scofield - 1966 - BBC Radio

This production of “The Scottish Play” starring Paul Scofield in the lead role, was first broadcast on the Third Programme in April 1966 and was subsequently repeated on Radio 4 when the network was launched in 1967. It is one of the few dramas from that period which has been retained by the BBC archive, and it was aired again on 10th May 2008 as part of the BBC7 tribute to Paul Scofield who died in March 2008 at the age of 86.​

21. JozefK

King Lear (1910)

A very early colourisation of King Lear, this Italian take on the play runs at only 14 minutes but makes many wise abbreviations and effective use intertitles to condense the plot.

Released only a year after another version produced by America's Vitagraph Studios, this version is undoubtedly superior and is clearly intended more for general audiences rather than some of the more scholarly adaptations.​

22. JozefK

[​IMG]

King Lear (Russian: Король Лир, romanized: Korol Lir) is a 1971 Soviet drama film directed by Grigori Kozintsev, based on William Shakespeare's play King Lear. The Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich composed the score.​

23. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I will say it again - I do not get how there i sany appeal in a SILENT movie of any play of William Shakespeare's. The power of his plays is in hearing the words. I'm sorry, it's weird.

arley likes this.
  24. JozefK

Hamlet (1964 film) - Wikipedia

Hamlet is a 1964 film adaptation in Russian of William Shakespeare's play of the same title, based on a translation by Boris Pasternak. It was directed by Grigori Kozintsev and Iosif Shapiro, and stars Innokenty Smoktunovsky as Prince Hamlet.​

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Love the Imogen Stubbs version of 'Twelfth Night'. Well paced and very watchable.