All things CTI and Kudu jazz thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan Steele, Oct 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There was a bad link on page 73. Gorts had to clean it out.

Dan Steele and g.z. like this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Sneaky Pete, Dan Steele, g.z. and 2 others like this.
  3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Personally, I don’t like the Contemporary Jazz Masters artwork (the red box with the blue remaster blurb on top). But I cannot comment on sound. I do have the 1990 France Jazz Originals version on my Want List. I think it’s the same mastering as your disc. But only if I can find it cheap. The 2010 remaster (that I very recently got) sounds very nice.

Sneaky Pete, Dan Steele and g.z. like this.
  4. mwheelerk

I agree on the artwork

5. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I got the 2010 CTI Records 40th Anniversary version arriving later today.
    Antonio Carlos Jobim – Stone Flower (2010, Cardboard Sleeve, Gatefold, CD)
    Original mix. This might be your best bet.

There is also a 2002 remaster.
    Antonio Carlos Jobim – Stone Flower (2002, CD)
    This is what I have. Original mix.
    Not a bad sounding CD, but it is a LOUD one. (Might be good for the car.)
    I'll post later when I hear the 2010.

I heard and fell in love with this album only a month ago.
    I can't stop playing it. :pleased:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  6. Yost

The Chet Baker disc, She Was Too Good To Me, is a very nice album. Smooth and mellow, played by top musicians that prevent if from becoming cheesy.

I was wondering what the cover art picture could be, at first. I even thought it was "not suitable for work". But once you turn the cover counter clockwise once, it becomes clear. Maybe it was more apparent on the LP.

[​IMG]

7. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:agree::thumbsup: Now I see it.

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Yost

I can't tell if I like the 1987 or 2003 First Light release better. The 1987 version sounds less in your face, more relaxed. The 2003 is clearly a bit more "push-y". But the 2003 also seems to have more bass (extension) and crispier hihats. Without sounding overly boomy or harsh. And you get a nice live version of First Light. :help:

I said earlier that I ordered the Masterworks Jazz version of First Light, but what I got was the 2003 version. Never trust the barcode lock-up on Amazon (it's also not officially supported, so getting the wrong disc was utterly my own fault).

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Yost

I'm not sure why (some) people like Straight Life more than Red Clay or First Light. It's even "album pick" on Allmusic.com?! Personally I don't like the title track at all (which accounts for half the album :sigh:). Here's That Rainy Day is a nice track, but not a reason to buy the album. But I do love Mr. Clean, which is a very nice, funky track. But only 1 out of 3 tracks. And no bonus content on the CTI 40th Anniversary release. I cannot recommend this album and version at all.

I think Red Clay and First Light are much better albums. Get one of those. Even better, get both. :righton:

10. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

The comments about the Contemporary Jazz Masters artwork have just inspired me to put Head Hunters on, so thanks for that! :)

Dan Steele, g.z., Yost and 1 other person like this.
  11. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

The 2010 CTI Records 40th Anniversary version is "the one".

A sympathetic mastering that's natural, warm, non-fatiguing and has a
    rich & musical sound. Nice soundstage.
    The recording itself has many textures that are captured well and this CD brings
    them all out to full sonic relief.
    Get one if you can if you dig this album. :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Stone Flower" - Antonio Carlos Jobim

12. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Szabo always had killer album covers, dating back to Impulse.

13. mwheelerk

I have not listened to make a comparison so this is simply a comment on the DR numbers but the version I have has slightly better overall DR numbers than the 2010. That is not the be all end all in terms of evaluations. I have just added this version to my Qobuz review playlist and will compare to my current version tomorrow.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Straight Life may be my very favorite jazz album. It's certainly my favorite non-Miles Davis jazz album. The title track is breathtaking to me, and Side 2 is even better, with contrasting moods. A perfect album to my ears. I can do without the orchestrations on First Light. Red Clay is marvelous, but not as biting and adventurous as Straight Life.

15. Yost

I agree that Side 2 is better. :righton:

Personally I need a melody, theme or hook that drags me into a song and gives me some structure. I can’t seem to find that in Straight Life (the track). To me it starts out as a (not very interesting) groove, after which people start playing over it, but rather directionless. I just don’t hear it (, yet). :shake:

Dan Steele likes this.
  16. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I have that version you've featured, the 2002 Legacy edition, the 2010 40th Anniversary card sleeve edition and this one...Antonio Carlos Jobim – Stone Flower (2013, Blu-Spec, CD)
    This is I think the best version on CD I've heard so far. An almost flat transfer of the original master.

17. Yost

I’m not sure I understand your post correctly. Does “this” refer back to the 2013 version? Or to the 1990 version from the OP?

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Can you tell me the length of the main "Brazil" track on these releases? (Not bonus tracks.)

19. charlie badge

charlie badge Well-Known Member

This edition is a radical remix, unacknowledged in the original liner notes. Channels are swapped, instruments wiped, track times extended. Remarkable that it's been around so long yet the significant reshaping of the original (gorgeous) mix has not been discussed!

20. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

^^THIS is probably the reason DR numbers are different. Yost breifly bought up the remix issue
    on pg. 76, post 1891:
    Yost's post is the reason I passed on the 1990 and got the 2002, then the 2010 CD.
    I haven't heard the 2013 JPN Blu Spec, but that's probably another good choice with
    the original mix and a flat transfer. I like all of my CTI JPN Blu Specs. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Dan Steele and frightwigwam like this.
  21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

"Brazil" from Stone Flower

1990 Remix CD - 9:40

2002 Remaster CD - 7:24

2010 40th Ann. CD - 7:24

2013 JPN Blu Spec CD - 7:19

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Dan Steele, Yost and FunkJazz like this.
  22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've missed big chunks of this thread, so apologies if I've missed this discussion. But listening to Hank Crawford's Help Me Make It Through The Night last night made me wonder if it was ever explained what made something a Kudu release instead of a CTI release? I've read that Kudu was considered the soul-jazz outlet, but I've always found that term super nebulous. I didn't hear any reason that couldn't have been a CTI date.

Yost and g.z. like this.
  23. Yost

Did Creed Taylor have anything to do with Gerry Mulligan’s The Age Of Steam?

[​IMG]

I’m remembering reading this somewhere, but I can’t find it anymore. There’s no mention of Creed in the liner notes (of the 1988 German/European CD reissue), and the music is fairly traditional. But it’s an A&M release, and the way the orchestra is used seems to be looking forward to the CTI sound…

frightwigwam likes this.
  24. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

It was recorded in February and July 1971, after CTI had split from A&M. The 2004 DVD-A notes include a 1993 letter from Mulligan to Herb Alpert, thanking him for his inspiration and help, "And I'm always appreciative that you gave me the opportunity and the luxury to do it the way we did it, and let it evolve. I appreciate [the producer] Steve Goldman's help in putting it together. I always need someone to help me get things off the ground and I've never found anyone as good as Steve to work with."

So, it looks like a one-off with Alpert and Goldman, and the orchestration was an attempt at an updated Concert Jazz Band sound with some electric instruments and fresh rhythms.

It's too bad that Mulligan didn't do any studio albums with CTI, in addition to the 1974 Carnegie Hall recording with Chet Baker. Seems like CTI would have been a nurturing home for more Mulligan big band projects, but I don't know if Mulligan ever really worked with Creed Taylor when he was with Verve.

Dan Steele and Yost like this.
  25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member Thread Starter

Used bin find this week, nice 1 CD comp from 1997. Strangely it is a ZK65134, I thought that nomenclature was only for the 1987-8 CDs we’ve discussed often on the thread. Opens with Deodato’s September 13, then Farrell's Canned Funk, add in some Johnny Hammond - Rock Steady, Idris - Hard to Face the Music, Turrentine - Storm and it indeed is groove heavy. Discogs entry shows an original hype sticker that says, “Go Funk Yourself with CTI Records” :D

[​IMG]

jeffsab, Dignan2000, FunkJazz and 3 others like this.