All Things Mötley Crüe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Oct 21, 2015.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

These are the only two that I care about. I hope these are done properly. "Nobody Knows What It's Like To Be Lonely", the early demos, a new master of the Leathur TFFL, and the complete SATD demos need to be cleared from the vault.

Same here. The only thing I really want from latter day Crue is "American Zero".

2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Lol i was feeling the same as you....couldn’t be bothered

Matthew Tate, Pouchkine and Boswell like this.
  3. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll check it all when I come back to Crueland which should be soon. Right now I'm lost in Tooland!

Matthew Tate and Queezma like this.
  4. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

You are on a solid few weeks of a Tool kick. I still haven’t picked up a copy (or heard a note) of the new album. I wrk part time at a music store and it sold gangbusters on Friday. We were sold out (50 copies) by 5 pm. Nice to see people getting excited for a new release.

Boswell likes this.
  5. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Actually, the US version of the 20th Ann. edition, with the Crüefest slipcover had the Feelgood tracks from Entertainment or Death tacked on after the main album.
    The Euro version was a 2 CD set, with the demos/outtakes and the live tracks from the Live Around the World 89-90 EP on the second disc.

6. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Nothing new, musically speaking, sadly.

Matthew Tate and Boswell like this.
  7. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Ahhhh haaa! Thank you for clarifying that. Makes sense that I was still underwhelmed 10 yrs ago as I already owned Entertainment Or Death. That live album actually came out under the radar when it was released I think. There was zero hype around its release.

8. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

I would love to see an expanded super deluxe version of SATD and TOP, complete with archival concert footage, vintage tees, backstage laminate and other musical rarities... more like a box set, I guess but it would be very cool...

9. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

And they still need to release Black Widow.

mikedifr0923, Pouchkine and Boswell like this.
  10. Boswell

They did release Black Widow on the 2005 Red, White and Crue. Toast of the Town as well, I think.
    But they need to Remaster and rerelease ALL the 1981 demos and the Leathur TOO FAST and they should really try to get a hold of the master u-matic tapes for the Starwood Show, the videos for Take Me To The Top and Public Enemy #1 (that they watch and make fun of in Uncensored) and the Roxy November MTV clip. Nikki also has a surprising amount of old memorabilia in his storage archive. This would be a beaut of a box

11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have an idea for a TOP Deluxe Edition.

Disc 1: original album remastered with all the previously released demos, etc.
    Disc 2: Theatre of Pain remixed by Bob Rock.

This album has always sounded flat. Remastering can only do so much. It needs to be remixed. Listen to how bad ass the demos to "City Boy Blues" and "Keep Your Eye On The Money" sound. The main album has this muffled mask over the top of it. Go back to the multitracks and make that album shine.

12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

As long as they're not removing the original album from print I guess I'm not opposed to remixing something. But that said I love Theatre of Pain exactly how it is. I won't argue that it's a sonic masterpiece but it sounds like 1985 and in particular it may be the Motley Crue album that most features the true guitar style of Mick Mars. Really slippery playing all over the album and I find it to be uncluttered and simple in its production. It might be right to call it 'flat' but I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing in this case.

As far as Bob Rock, look we all love the drum sound he helped get for Tommy Lee (and Lars with the Black Album) but that was a million years ago and his most recent production effort for Motley was a disaster. The four new songs on The Dirt Soundtrack are terribly produced and are far too cluttered with extra instruments and tracks. Which might be forgivable if they featured that Titanic Tommy Lee drum sound from 1994 but instead the drums are just mush and don't stand out at all.

Granted Bob would be working with the masters from TOP, but once you start messing around with one instrument (the drums) you're just going to expose the guitar sound for it's 1985 tone. It is what it is.

I feel like two years later Wild Side featured a cohesive sound that wasn't there on the rest of Girls, Girls, Girls. Somehow the lead track feels rawer and filthier than the rest of what followed. Maybe it's just that it's so much better than the rest of that album but I feel it's more than that, there's an inconsistency in the sound from song to song.

Shout at the Devil (which is where I got on board with Motley Crue in 1984) is the weirdo of the catalogue. Theatre of Pain sounds exactly like the logical follow up to Too Fast For Love. They're both pretty naïve sounding but it would make perfect sense if they came out as album one and two and were then followed by Shout. But Shout being such a 'metal' record makes TOP seem so wimpy in sound and visual presentation. It really isn't; if you can listen to Theatre of Pain with the visual of the Girls, Girls, Girls image or the raw simplicity of the TFFL era it would make more sense.

I'm no different. When you lived through that era you can't hear TOP and not see the pink tights Vince was wearing and Nikki's attempt at Steven Tyler or Pete Way. But I'm telling ya it isn't really a major audio step down from TFFL or anything off of Girls, Girls, Girls except for Wild Side.

13. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Wow Sizzle. That is a great analysis. At the time I never thought anything of the production..... I loved the record. Looking back now, of course the production sounds flat (like it was recorded in a tin can)....but I love it for what it is. I would however be intrigued in hearing a remix....so as long it’s a bonus CD and doesn’t replace the original. Kind of like what Brendan O’Brien did with the remix of Pear Jam Ten for it’s 20th anniversary (I think it was for the 20th...)

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It was released on the Music to Crash Your Car To box. I think volume 2. They do still need to release Run for Your Life.

15. Boswell

I believe the single version of Stick To Your Guns hasn't been reissued either? The TOO FAST Leathur version was, though.

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Correct. It’s never been released in digital. Toast of the Town single version technically hasn’t been released on digital either. The one they’ve been releasing on cd is a different (presumably newer) mix.

Pouchkine, Matthew Tate and Boswell like this.
  17. Boswell

But it would be the same recording, right? Motley only recorded TOAST once whereas STICK was recorded twice in 1981 (single and TOO FAST)

Pouchkine, Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah it’s the same recording unlike Stick. But it would be nice to have the real single versions of both tracks in digital. But maybe they no longer have the mixdown tapes and maybe that’s why they made a new mix of Toast.

Pouchkine, Matthew Tate and Boswell like this.
  19. Boswell

Yeah I'd be surprised if they had those tapes.

I did this a while back but since it's DR FEELGOOD'S 30th anniversary . . . imagine how GREAT a record it would have been if you switched four of the songs (not DR, Kickstart or Dont Go Away) for RNR Junkie, Primal Scream, Angela and Teaser?!?!?!
    That would be one of the greatest Rock records ever.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thanks. saved me from posting this

Boswell likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

wasn't this released around the time the bands label, beyond records, was having money issues and that explains the no hype?

Queezma likes this.
  22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I believe so....sounds familiar. I know that Beyond Records was bought out by EMI from BMG around this time (although this record was still under the Beyon/BMG umbrella when it was released in the fall of ‘99). It also likely stiffed because the masses didn’t care much about the Crüe, let alone a live record, at this point in time. I however was all over this when it came out.

23. Matthew Tate

yes i got it right when it was released. mainly for cd 1

24. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Same! If I remember correctly most of CD 1 was recorded during the Shout, Theatre and Feelgood tours? Whereas CD 2 was recorded mainly during the Greatest Hits Tour in ‘98?

Pouchkine, Boswell and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

if i recall its like this
    cd1
    -4 songs from 1984
    -1 from 1985
    -1 from 1998
    -5 from 1982

cd 2
    -1 from 1985
    -2 from 1990
    -3 from 1998