All Things Must Pass 2017 vinyl: why aren't we talking about this excellent reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rischa, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday and saw a shiny new box set of All Things Must Pass behind the counter. I asked to look at it and was surprised to see that it was A) a 2017 reissue, B) "Remastered for vinyl from the original analogue master tapes," and C) pressed in Germany. Since B&N has a pretty good return policy, I took a chance and picked it up.

It sounds fantastic--I'm honestly surprised there isn't a 500 page thread on this reissue!

I have a UK first pressing and a couple U.S. 70's pressings (maybe first pressings but I honestly haven't done the research to find out), all in great condition. I've only had a chance to compare the first discs from each one of the old pressings to the new, but to my ears the 2017 is superior to my old copies. It has better low end, wider sound-stage, and an overall lusher quality compared to the old ones. The older pressings sounded a bit punchier, but turning up the volume one click when playing the new gave it the same punch, but with better dynamics. Also, no IGD on the new (my old pressings play flawlessly until the last track of each side, at which point some subtle but noticeable distortion kicks in).

The box itself is very sturdy and the cover artwork is reproduced well. Everything is inside--poster, lyric booklet, etc., all produced to a high standard.

Anyway, I'd say the 2017 is a great alternative to the effort and coin required in finding a decent quality vintage pressing, and makes for a fun comparison if you already own a good original one.

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Isn't this the same one that is in the Harrison LP box set?

lightbulb likes this.
  3. rischa

Ah--if so, that probably explains why a search only turned up a couple of dead-end threads. The relevant discussion must be in a thread about the Harrison box.

4. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Unfortunately, the effort and coin it takes to find a good vintage pressing is the reason why the RRP on this new box is so high. Over £100 for a three disc set!

However, I managed to get this the other day for a sizeable discount, and like you I am very happy with it.

joshm2286, longdist01 and rischa like this.
  5. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Price is kinda steep, around $70. I think there would be more discussion if the price were lower.

I am satisfied with my early pressing US orange Apple. Which I picked up for $20 a few years ago

erocky and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. rischa

I agree it's not cheap, but $70 seemed reasonable to me considering I expect to pay about $20-25 for most new, standard (non audiophile) records these days, and those don't usually come with an awesome poster and lyric booklet.

Mister Charlie and e.s. like this.
  7. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Had no idea this was repressed! $70 is a good deal for this. I'd like to find a new one myself. I have two original issues in so-so condition but it is getting very hard to find originals that don't have the box all crushed, plus the poster is almost always a no-show.

longdist01 and Rickchick like this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I'm surprised there was someone in the music section of B&N when you got there. ;) It's a ghost town whenever I drop into my local one.

Oaw, Fullbug, uzn007 and 9 others like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

There’s a huge thread on the George Harrison reissue box set from earlier in the year. Most of the box set contents were issued individually. ATMP has been available as a standalone title since February. It’s not a repress.

I have no complaints about the SQ, although it doesn’t top an original UK pressing.

rischa likes this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Right now the most recent version on Amazon is the2014 version. No 2017 issue.
    Beave

12. rischa

The UK sounds good for sure, but on my system the reissue has better low-end information. I just think it's great that anyone can easily pick this up new and have a copy that competes with an original.

Plan9 and e.s. like this.
  13. rischa

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Oy vey! @Mazzy wants you to start a new thread to discuss the price! :D

daveidmarx and Mazzy like this.
  15. The Beave

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
    Awesome!!
    Beave

Mazzy likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

All of these re-issues sound great..they're basically slightly beefed up/cleaned up versions of the original albums. And the album cover reproduction is first rate. Also, this is a MUCH better pressing than the one Capitol put out about 7-8 years ago. That one was very disappointing.

Bingo Bongo, e.s. and rischa like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have to get out of the habit of making “absolute” statements. I find the UK to be better. YMMV

breakingglass, Gardo and rischa like this.
  18. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Another excellent alternative is the 2010 vinyl release (the one from Record Store Day). Also analogue mastered and had the very best sound from the album that I've ever heard (and I have the former "gold standard" which was the Japanese original release). I don't have the 2017 release, so I'm not sure how it compares with the 2010 release....

Bill Why Man likes this.
  19. The Beave

Rischa, can you post the barcode number please, I'd like to see what pops up on Amazon using it.
    Beave

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Weren’t there quality control issues with the 2010 version? Pressed by Rainbo?

21. rischa

Sure thing:

EdColeman likes this.
  22. feinstei9415

I wouldn't know how to tell if it was pressed at Rainbo. Record 1, side 1 has "S-74267" written on the runout grooves, side 2 has S-74268, side 3 has S-74269, and side 4 has S-74270 etc...

The blurb sheet for it says that it was remastered at Abbey Road from the original analogue master tapes. With it came a 96/24 download that I burned to DVD-A. It also is definitive....

23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

There were some issues. Very good sound but noisy pressings. The 2017 is the best of three versions I have (original US and 2010. I felt the sound is pretty similar to the 2010 but great pressing.

EdColeman, Rickchick and rischa like this.
  24. feinstei9415

My copy (number 5238) has no noise issues whatsoever (after ultrasonic cleaning).... Again, without having heard the 2017, this one (along with the 96/24 download) are the definitive ones for me....

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My UK is kinda thin and a bit thread bare unfortunately. I pulled out my first US recently to compare and I may actually like it better? Hard to say. Surprised me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.