All Things Must Pass Away (Harrison, Clapton) - new book!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solaris, Mar 13, 2021.

1. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Has the audiobook been recorded yet? I listened to the George Martin ones again recently and although Paul Woodson does a great job reading, his British accents are laughably bad. Maybe have a word and tell him not to attempt to replicate the Scouse dialect. It goes from Scottish to Welsh, then a bit of Geordie, Lancashire and Yorkshire thrown in for good measure. In fact it completely circumnavigates Liverpool!
    :D :righton:

Solaris likes this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

It's probably already in progress, but unfortunately I don't have any control over that!

Saint Johnny and rediffusion like this.
  3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure it will be great.
    The George Martin audiobooks reminded me of Harry Enfield as Kevin is this classic...

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. :D

longdist01 and Solaris like this.
  4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I just got an update from Amazon, new delivery date is July 26th to August 31st!

Any idea why this might be @Solaris

5. Solaris

No idea. Probably something to do with Amazon. I haven't heard of any delays from the publisher.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Amazon Germany lists the hardcover book as out of stock, the Kindle has a release date of 20.07.2021m, same as the audio CD.

This audio book will be released by Tantor Audio, just like the George Martin books.
    All Things Must Pass Away - Audiobook
    I have bought several audio books directly from Tantor, bypassing Amazon and received an mp3 download, no DRM. Though this seems to be no longer possible. I value my backups.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Amazon Australia has the release date up as 1 October 2021. Not to say the rest of the world release dates may get pushed. Amazon Oz can be quite slack with their dates.

8. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Just checked a few other sites here in Australia. Booktopia and Dymocks both have 20 July as the release date but The Nile and Fishpond have it as 1 October. I'd suggest the October date might the one here. And that could simply be down to stock and transport logistics.

9. Solaris

Ken and I have started doing promo interviews, and here's the first one that's up: a good overview of what's in the book in discussion with Eric Senich on the Booked on Rock podcast

Episode 12 | Kenneth Womack & Jason Kruppa ["All Things Must Pass Away: Harrison, Clapton, and Other Assorted Love Songs"]

We also got a blurb today from Tim Riley:

"Ever read something that changes the way you hear certain classic records, makes you chuckle at how key moments happen by accident, or how entire sessions hinge on some minor character’s spilled coffee? That’s how this book operates: as a thoughtful mediator between you, your assumptions, and how music history surfs on whim and serendipity. The romantic triangle turns into classic rock’s deceptive lead."

And here's what Library Journal has to say:

"In a crowded field of Beatles-related books, one might wonder if there is need for another. With this entertaining and informative work, Womack and Kruppa offer an emphatic yes."

jricc, Ryan Lux, supermd and 8 others like this.
  10. alboreto

alboreto Forum Resident

V much enjoying the book, I'm rattling through it a quite a pace! Great insight into the various motivations of everyone at that moment in time, and does a good job of picking apart who might or might not be playing on each track. For some reason I wasn't expecting a hardback, so that was a pleasant surprise as well.

jeremylr, Solaris and oboogie like this.
  11. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Just did advance purchase. Looking forward to reading.

Solaris likes this.
  12. marmalade166

May I ask where you got your copy from? I ordered through Amazon which gives a release date of 20th July and expected delivery of 26th July

13. alboreto

alboreto Forum Resident

Blackwell's and it arrived I think on 7th July having been despatched on 1st.

Solaris and marmalade166 like this.
  14. alboreto

alboreto Forum Resident

Funnily enough they now list it as a pre-order for 20th July also!

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. marmalade166

Thank you, cancelled Amazon and ordered from Blackwell's :edthumbs:

alboreto likes this.
  16. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

17. Solaris

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I got my author copies in the mail yesterday and if you're on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram you guys who don't have yours yet can see a quick video of me flipping through the pages and showing the endpapers, which are scans of John Barham's scores for My Sweet Lord and Isn't It A Pity. We didn't get every illustration I was hoping for, but those were important and I'm pleased with how they turned out.

jricc, Ryan Lux, supermd and 9 others like this.
  18. Solaris

Today is book release day!

Related to the mention above to the scores by John Barham, I'm working on two episodes of Producing The Beatles about the making of "My Sweet Lord" and "Isn't It A Pity," both of which will feature re-creations of the scores by a film composer in the UK. Both scores are lush and beautiful, but "Pity" has a whole section of woodwinds/brass that was either never recorded or mixed so low that it's inaudible on the final record. But now you're going to hear it, loud and clear! I cannot WAIT to share this with you guys.

Ern, Ryan Lux, supermd and 10 others like this.
  19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Great read so far, a lot of details on the recording process for All Things…he interviewed many who were there making the album so the insight and scene created are fantastic

oboogie, Solaris and Saint Johnny like this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just added to my Amazon wish list. Looking forward to it.

Solaris likes this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Somebody had mentioned in another post that the notice Whitlock and Clapton we’re not interviewed for this even though they are two of the main players that are still alive to talk to. The fact is it really doesn’t matter if they contributed or not because the other people are just as credible. They were there also. And they may be even more credible in some circumstances. Doesn’t matter if you’re a big star or not , If you were there than you were there.

alboreto, jeremylr, supermd and 2 others like this.
  22. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I just got my copy today. Can’t wait to dig in!

oboogie and Solaris like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can’t wait to grab this book!

Solaris likes this.
  24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Phil Spector actually was there for all basic track recording and very involved, working closely with George. I’d always read that he started the album but eventually left George to finish a lot on his own - Phil being undependable and all.
    What I’ve learned from this book is actually this is not true. Phil did leave George to do the overdubs but the main tracks we’re all done with Phil.

jeremylr and Solaris like this.
  25. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

This book is great. The writing style is very readable, if I weren’t so busy this week I’m sure I would have read it in one sitting.
    I can’t recommend it enough for fans of these two records.